Foter Fun Two-Twenty-Three

Trucula
Bob, the 185's have only gone into service last October, Virgin train's did a Pendolino set with Superman graphics down all nine carriages, that was cool, look at these shots

Superman

a couple of years back on the yarrow valley sub
PA220011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Another outstanding week of excellent projects. I'm hibernating, we just picked up 12" of snow and tonight another 8-10" on the WAY!!! Time for modeling............

CONRAIL SD80MAC poses for the camera after leaving the paintshops

cr7.png

cr6.png

And for her first revenue run........

cr4.png

More to come...........

Johnny

Thanks Steve B, Those were great shots!...I think if we had something like that here the vandals might let that alone!...LOL..(unless they were Spiderman fans...LOL)
I was invited to a local restaurant today that is railroad decorated and Norfolk Southern runs right behind the place. They have a train talk get together last Sat. of every month... (my better half is like..."Oh great another day I don't see ya!" :mad: )..Some trains have actually stopped when the engineers are ahead of schedule for a quick sandwich, coffee. The owner asked if anyone paints and the owner of the nearby hobby shop pointed to me. He asked if I'd paint and airbrush a PRR caboose on the wall close to full size..If I take on the project I will post some shots...That had me even thinking of doing part of it in a 3D fashion with cut wood on ties, rail, trucks, handrails, sides, windows, ECT. ( I kinda over dream too much!! :) )
Here's a couple shots of our weekend work on the clubs layout progress. The first is a home in Mt. Union I kitbashed by adding a matching porch left over from another kit and since the town is built on a slope to match, we had to add an angled foundation. 2nd is the fishing dock I posted earlier and I am working on the small lake and waterfall that I will add water later...Paint and edge rocks are drying in place and realistic water added to top stream..waterfalls was made with water effects on wax paper and was drying at the time so it will be added later.

Switch Stand

Great pics everyone! :cool:

We went back and salvaged the remainder of the TC&I signal on Red Mountain yesterday. 1:1 scale signals are a lot of work! I still can't believe we hauled the whole thing out in two trips with my Toyota truck!

There was also a unique switch stand hiding in the woods near the signal. The latest patent date on it is 1911. Dirt had been piled around it years ago, so we dug down enough to cut the trasfer bar (points) and pulled it out with the truck. It took Alex, myself, a come along and some serious grunting to get it loaded into the truck.

Please forgive the colors on some of the pics. It was getting late so I had to use the delayed flash.

This first view shows the lampstand clearly. The lock is still in place, but the handle was broken off. I need to go back and see if the handle can be found. It should be able to be straightened. Note the mast and battery cabinet for the signal in the background.

Nice Switch stand. The steam train line that i worked for had two of them on the siding in our yard that we ran around our train with. A little info of those is they are run through swtiches. You run through the points (trailing of course with the switch thrown against you) and the points and handle would snap over. If you open up the lids just above where you spike that stand to the ties you will find springs in there and some adjustment of them for the amount of snap they will have. A big pain in the but to throw a switch with them but they did save you one trip by being able to run through them!

As usualWow! I always like this thread. It gets my brain working on what I need to do with my layout. Some great work here as always.

I promised I would be back with some more shots of the work I have been doing so here goes.....

A few more shots of Seneca Lake and the farm land around it.
AcrossSenecaLake03w.png

Even a vineyard has sprung up. Unfortunately these grapes will not be made into any of that World Renowned Finger Lakes Wine as it is smack dab in the middle of Prohibition time here on the SLO&W. Might be a small bootleg operation somewhere nearby though......;)

AcrossSenecaLake04w.png

AcrossSenecaLake05w.png

Meanwhile near the Yard at Hopewell Junction, Sherman's Paint has taken up occupancy next door to Guy's Gas.

GuysGas12w.png

GuysGas13w.png

Hello, everyone. It is nice to see such fine equipment and modelling skills; very good work...if you can call it work!

Here is something I have been working on. It is my first ever yard, and do I ever enjoy having one! My first mistake didn't...yes, I have learned my lesson. Edit - okay, I guess I could use a hint on how to show the photo instead of the link.

acg.sized.jpg

Hello, everyone. It is nice to see such fine equipment and modelling skills; very good work...if you can call it work!

Here is something I have been working on. It is my first ever yard, and do I ever enjoy having one! My first mistake didn't...yes, I have learned my lesson. Edit - okay, I guess I could use a hint on how to show the photo instead of the link.

acg.jpg

Looks fine to me Crandall!;)

Great Shot

acg.sized.jpg

Great Shot
It looks as if I could saddle up one of those horses.

NYC_George

Thanks folks!

Here is a shot of my just weathered P2K B&O E7A coming out of the tunnel:
BandOpassenger_008a.jpg

Hauling my recently numbered and weathered Walthers B&O Heavyweight coaches:
BandOpassenger_009a.jpg

BandOpassenger_010a.jpg

I think the main difference between scratch building and craftsman kits is that when you scratch-build something, you know what you have in mind.

I spent more time trying to figure out what to do than doing it on this one. But the Rock Ridge Mine I've been talking about for two years is a little over half done.

This the Muir Models Tonopah Silver Mine. I have the hoist house the mine shaft, and the Mine head built. What is left is the Separator House/Ore Bin/Tipple and the Trestle back to the Mine Head.

Oh yeah. I can't stand the steel siding on the side of the Hoist House. I'm going to replace that with styene board and batton.

traincity99f.gif

traincity99g.gif

traincity99h.gif

That is really a great photo, very good viewpoint and I had to do something with it:

regards,

René

This weekend other gangs of Thai model railroaders dared to present the first model railroad fair at Jatujak park BK for 2 days. It is very little fair, however they have tried to promote to public by every kinds of media. In Thailand some hobby such as RC flying booms vastly as fast as internet. Every class of people play RC, but not model railroad because the limited of indoor room and many other reasons. I saw many people be glad to find and meet the group. Thanks for their attempt.

RJR Week

The office block ha had its top coat of matt black and windows fitted. The Tenants in the downstairs offices decided on mirrored windows (the trains are a bit close !)

2302071.jpg

2502074.jpg

2502072.jpg

John

Nice work SpaceMouse, I saw a kit like that along time ago done by a miner and he placed it near the edge of his layout and cut the side out and had glass/plex-a-glass on side so you could see his mine shaft. Had it dimly lit with several tunnels going off it, rafters, and workers and all..Looked cool and kinda gave the affect that the layout went more than ground level. They make a kit for it now if its still available.
I know what you mean about the foiled tin siding..had bad experiences with it, but yours don't look that bad!..Its always hard to please yourself when you know every board, drop of glue, and cut mark in a kit. Others look at it in a whole scene and don't notice the places where you feel "I could have done better". It's hard to accept the picture you were building in you mind as apposed to what came from your hands.(at least that's the problem I have). But once you place it in the layout, add the shrubs and details, it kinda blends it all together. Anyways sorry for running on and on...It looks Great!!
So do the other pics guys!

Nice work SpaceMouse, I saw a kit like that along time ago done by a miner and he placed it near the edge of his layout and cut the side out and had glass/plex-a-glass on side so you could see his mine shaft. Had it dimly lit with several tunnels going off it, rafters, and workers and all..Looked cool and kinda gave the affect that the layout went more than ground level. They make a kit for it now if its still available.
I know what you mean about the foiled tin siding..had bad experiences with it, but yours don't look that bad!..Its always hard to please yourself when you know every board, drop of glue, and cut mark in a kit. Others look at it in a whole scene and don't notice the places where you feel "I could have done better". It's hard to accept the picture you were building in you mind as apposed to what came from your hands.(at least that's the problem I have). But once you place it in the layout, add the shrubs and details, it kinda blends it all together. Anyways sorry for running on and on...It looks Great!!
So do the other pics guys!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The choice of the steel siding has to do with the over-all look I'm trying to achieve with the mine. I thought about painting the whole structure brown, then rusting it, but it still won't have the feel of the weathered and stained wood I imagined. I will leave the steel on the roof though.

That mine you saw must have been some mine model though--I can't for the life of me picture modeling it--unless I sunk the shaft about 100 scale feet then had another shaft coming up from the bottom with upside down Chinese miners.

Nice pics everyone again, Chip that building looks pretty good , trucula, That one house reminds me of some houses in Kigston, Pa , All built at an angle like that !

Back