Floquil enamel

rlundy90

Armchair Engineer
Can anyone that is familiar with Floquil enamels tell me whether it dries to a gloss or matte finish. Thanks Ron.

Matte unless is says gloss on the bottle. The last thing I painted I was at work and thinned the paint with naphtha and it worked great.

Matte unless is says gloss on the bottle. The last thing I painted I was at work and thinned the paint with naphtha and it worked great.
Odd, I'm looking at two bottles, UP Harbor Mist Gray, & BNSF Orange, neither say anything, and are matte & semi-gloss, respectively.

The two colors I am wondering about are concrete and foundation. So far I have been told floquil dries to a gloss, floquil dries to a matte finish and now it can be either. Looks like we have all the bases covered.I guess I'll try emailing the company and see what they say about it.Thanks, Ron.

If I remember right, my bottle of Concrete was flat/matte. I think it varies by the color, use & mix.

Floquil has always been flat lacquer based paint, not enamel. It consists of the actual color pigment and the liquid it is dissolved in. It does not have a "binder", the product that gives paint body, and provides the gloss. That's why modelers have liked the paint, it goes on relatively thin and does not cover details, and dries relatively fast due to a lack of binder. They offered their clear "Glaze" that could be added to paint if a binder was wanted.

Having said the above, please note this is the way Floquil paint used to be. They've been tinkering with their formulas in the past while, and I assume things have changed. So older paint may be flat, but newer stuff may not be. I haven't bought much in the past while because I have a fair stash, and not many dealers carrry it in these parts.

Also the older paint would go on really flat when using an airbrush, but with somewhat of a sheen when applying with a brush. I assume that was because there was much more paint applied with a brush.

Thanks for all the input guys.Looks like the only real way to find out is to try it. I emailed testors and they say Floquil dries to a matte finish unless it says gloss on the bottle. Thanks again. Ron

Back