Evergreen Styrene or Plaster of Paris for Sidewalks Surrounding Structures?

GuilfordRailman

Question says it all. I will be preparing to construct the roads and sidewalks on my layout and have come across two methods other modelers have been using. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Evergreen styrene is certainly easier. I use it for all structures that don't come with their own sidewalks. It comes in a multitude of pattern sizes.
Evergreen sidewalk sheets
Streets can be made with flat unscored sheets, but it's a whole lot cheaper to buy a cheapo styrene "Garage Sale" sign at your local Lowes, Home Depot or other big box building supply center.
I’ll see what’s available at the local hardware store, thanks!

I made sidewalks by cutting a strip of styrene to the width I needed then cut that into the correct size blocks.
This gave the sidewalk a bit of an uneven surface and was easy to add cracked or chipped corners.
Just a note, styrene and vinyl react differently to specific solvents and glues.

I made sidewalks by cutting a strip of styrene to the width I needed then cut that into the correct size blocks.
This gave the sidewalk a bit of an uneven surface and was easy to add cracked or chipped corners.
Just a note, styrene and vinyl react differently to specific solvents and glues.
Interesting method! Might have to try that.

Back