enough room for locos?

What percentage of your locos can your layout accomodate at once?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
Compared to the number of engines that you have, do you have enough room on the layout for them all at one time?
Either sitting in the yard waiting, or on a siding, or in the roundhouse, diesel service areas, or wherever, what percentage of engines can you accomodate at 1 time oin your layout.

Currently, I can fit all 3 locos in my freight yard / enginehouse. :D Down the road I suspect that I will eventually run out of room if my loco collection grows the way that I envision.

I think all four of mine will fit on the new layout! Oh wait, five if you count the old conrail, tyco that I just can't throw away. It was my very first train. We spent more time pushing it than watching it run. Ummm, I can almost smell it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't vote. I'm building my current layout to accommodate two to three locos specific to the era and location of that layout. I have another layout that will likewise hold the locos specific to it. I have several other locos that are specific to a club I no longer belong to and they are on a shelf. I also have some Hogwart's engines that have no home. So I'm not sure how that relates.

My stable is small compared to many, but I have a home for all 19 (four are switchers). I built an engine house with extra parking in the beginning, but now all are scattered out to locations that originate trains.:)

I have room for about 18-20 on the layout, with 16 in the yard (8 or 9 in the deadline) My engine yard is going to be a large portion of the layout, switching them in and around the shop is half the fun :)

I have a shelf with tracks in my bedroom for additional storage. My current car to loco ratio is about 2 to 1.

I has to say 25%, because my collection is pre-designed to run a huge layout, I plan to build when I buy a house. For now, the switching layout can handle about 15 at a time.

I'm building my loco/car fleet up to what my planned layout will require. I don't plan on having any extra cars or locos.

I quess the answer, as in so many cases in the hobby, depends..........

I can fit all my engines on the layout, but it really doesn't do ops much good. So, even though they'll fit, I eventually built an off-layout staging yard that takes a lot of the pressure off. Even then, I have to place one train on a siding and place at least two, if not three, engines in the roundhouse so that the others can do real work.

So, I answered "75%" because that's close to reality and close to being functional. I like my train experience best when the layout only has three working engines on it. Things go nicely that way.

-Crandell

I guess I should have specified "in a practical setting" rather than overloading the layout with all your locos. I could put every loco I have on my layout, a 12 x 16, and still wouldn't have enough track to accomodate them.
I have posted this poll on 4 other forums to get an idea of how many people are loco collectors, like myself, or practical users.

Every engine I own I do and have run so I'm not a collector per se. OTOH, I have about 25 locomotives and I guess I could fit them on my layout if I jammed the yard, passing sidings and industrial spurs but I doubt Mayor Rufus would take kindly to me storing engines on the track that runs through downtown. :) Unless I suddenly get the urge for a divorce, get to keep the house, and take over the entire 800 square feet of basement for a layout, I doubt I'll ever have enough space for all my locomotives. Don't even ask about rolling stock. :)

Currently I'd say 75%, but when I build a more realistic engine servicing facility it will probably go down to ~50%. I'll have to tear up some of the yard tracks that I currently have many of my locos parked on to make room for the engine terminal.

In 1989 I once asked a co-worker who had recently moved to the U.S. from the Soviet Union (took 9 years to get visa and green card), if he planned on ever going back. He said "yoor kiddink, right?"

Yoor kiddink, right?

Actually if you're just talking N&W Superfleet, that currently stands at about 20 and yes, I can accommodate all of them without blocking the main, although it would be crowded on the sidings.

Andy

Ooh! Ouch! Just THINKING about this gives me a headache, LOL! I'd need a 40-stall roundhouse just to fit my locos, and that kind of room I just ain't got! Actually, with two trains running, I can put three more locos on the service tracks, and maybe a loco switching my small (TOO small!) yard in Deer Creek, but that's about it. That's six steamers out of about 40. And of course, dumb me, I didn't even PLAN for a turntable and roundhouse facilities with this new layout--I just figured, "Oh, I'll find room somewhere". Yah, sure! :eek:

Well, there IS still about ten feet on the other side of the garage---;)

Tom

All of my switchers (4) an F40PH, an AC4400CW and two SD40-2's is all my 4x8 will probably take, sorry PA-1.. :)

Well, I own about 170 locomotives. There is s small double stall enginehouse on the layout that will hold 2 switchers, and I can run 2 trains at a time with 3 engines.

I can usually stick a train on the docks, and 3 in the yard.

SOO....2+3+3+2+2+2+2=about 16 locos fit on the layout at one time.

Then again, I own about 20 freight cars, so I could pretend I am LTEX....

Phil

Mine all fit on the layout, no problem - I've only got 3 sets of two-loco consists and a couple loners.

I'm loco...

Yes, I'm loco to have many more engines than I can use on the layout at one time.
But the late '50s layout time frame is easily backdated to the 20's or updated to the '80s by covering a few signs and changing some vehicles. So, it is easy to make use of a wide variety of engines on a layout for different time periods or locations.
Rural Alabama looks much like rural Michigan or rural New York. Only the towns set the geographic regions, so you will have to invent some creative explainations.:rolleyes:
Mikey

Back