Engine painting service

I'm using a Canon Powershot SD1100 IS. Just a small digital camera. I will have a better picture by tomorrow with better light.

That camera should be more than sufficient to get good photos. What settings are you using? Are you using the flash? What size for the photos has the camera been set to (e.g. JPG small)?

Don't be sorry...!

I am sorry for the horrible image quality. My camera is kinda a piece of junk and I am going to be getting a nicer one in the future, but until then, these are the best close-up photos I can take with every imaginable setting adjusted on my camera. I always do the best I can do with my models and will hopefully get better as I paint more. here is another example of one I painted from Great Northern to BNSF.

IMG_0783.JPG

Looking at that photo, the main thing is that it's underexposed - you can tell by the graininess of the image. More light is always a bonus. The camera you're using is 8MP; more than adequate for that type of work. It seems to be a fully automatic type, so you're going to need quite a bit of light.

I have an old 4MP Fuji camera that I use for magazine work; the images I can get are suitable for publication.

Here's a couple of examples; these weren't for publication but I used the same setup. They are a couple of old Athearn locos that I used as my first venture into respraying and weathering locomotives.

th_UP_SW1500.jpg

th_UP_GP35.jpg

To get decent quality images you usually need something to diffuse the light; it's a piece of cake and cheap as chips to make something from an old cardboard box and some tracing paper. HO is pretty small, so it shouldn't be a problem to find something that will work. A plain background will help showcase your product.

[edit] here's a piccie of the light box I've been using - it's dead easy to make one of these.

Dscf9993.jpg

OK; that's about enough from me; I'm not trying to hijack this thread!; feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Cheers from NZ

Mike A

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a better way for you to get into this part of the hobby is to custom paint a few models and sell them to get the ball rolling.

For me personally, I enjoy all aspects of the hobby and would rather paint and detail my own stuff instead of hiring it out. I havent needed to do that yet though but I do own an airbrush, just not a booth. Which I plan to build an inexpensive booth to suit my needs for that. Ill practice until the cows come home until I get it right if I have to.

If you don't want to make one, you can also buy a photo booth. I bought the one that I use at Wal-mart last year for around $30. That came with the lights and everything. Better quality photos will help out a lot when trying to show off your work.

While I am new to this forum (just discovered it about a week ago) I need to say something on this subject. I have been in this hobby for almost 10 years. I do not have the time to paint my engines so I have no problem paying someone else to do it. I contacted Charlie (BNSF9374) to paint a GP9 for me. He quoted me $55 to paint it which I agreed to. He did not want to do the DCC and sound install which is not a problem. I know a lot of people that paint do not do DCC work. However the engine in questions needs a bunch of details added to it. I did not want to use the stock P2K ones. I have all the details to send with the engine. I asked if he had all the tools to do this and if he would use Floquil paints instead of pollyscale. He never did answer these 2 questions. I asked for better quality photos of work he has done as well as references from people he has done work for. He never sent any. At this point he told me it would be another $15 to detail the engine. I thought that was included in the original price. When I asked about this, he told me to forget detailing it. All he wants to do it paint the engine. I told him that detailing a engine goes along with painting it, you want the extra $15 fine. He responded back and I quote from the message: "You know what, this is getting obviously too complicated for you so I'm just going to say that I can't do the job for you anymore. Your making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. If you aren't willing to have just the engine painted as we originally agreed on for a very low price of $55 then you should find someone else." Needless to say, I will go to someone else to have the engine painted. He's a young kid who is talented at painting, but still has a lot to learn. Looking forward to using this forum more.

Jason

When offering a service, whatever it is, (and this is a service), two things need to be considered by the individual offering the service: #1 - the customer calls the shots. Still trying to drill that into the head of a very stubborn 42 year railroader I work with (My business partner/Dad). You need to be willing to do whatever it takes to make them happy. If it costs you a little of your profits every now and then, fine. Remember, if you do a good job, they'll tell people. If you do a lousy job (customer service included), they'll tell EVERYBODY. And you're toast at that point. #2- The quality of the work that you do is irrelevant if customer service is bad. Customer Service is every bit as important (if not more so) than the quality of work. How you handle people in the way you talk to them, the way you carry yourself and your ethics is paramount to success. Respect for yourself and others must be given before it is received.

Trying to convince teenagers of this is like trying to nail Jello to the wall. More often than not, it is lost on that generation, I gave up on it long ago, so my advice to you is to heed the good advice that others have provided you with here, and do your absolute best to come across like an adult and your age will cease to matter to potential customers. Act like a teenager though and you'll get nowhere.

Ok, here is my humble opinion:

In order to make a name for your self. Paint some engines and put them on Ebay. Start the bidding at a "reasonable" price. Let the bidders judge your work. Be prepared to answer any question in a professinal manner. Being that you are under 18 have your dad help you set up an account. (not sure of the lagality on that one)
You will need to get better at taking pics. Let the good quality pics do the talking. I take my photos outside when I can. Just set your camera to automatic, and get a little tripod or a steady surfice to set the camera on.
Use the auto timer. Not that my pictures are as good as some of the guys on here. They work for me.
Another option is to paint an engine and post it for sale on this site. Just remember the quailty of your photos.

If what UP1434 (Jason) is saying is true. You will not make it very far.

Back