EMD SW1500 Details

Brad, I have that book, got it last year. It's good reference material. Has pictures of just about every model of SW1500 ever made. As for your interior, a simple light gray will work. Here's what I did on Carl's RTR SW1500.

101_0495.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture Jerome. Did you use a wash for the control panels to bring out the details? It seems there were so many different shades of green to grey used by EMD in these cabs. I am thinking of doing something like this green cab interior which is on an Athearn factory painted model in Western Pacific.

View attachment 22849

Looks like the walls and panels are green. The floor appears to be black or dark something and the seats are a grey tone. Model Master makes almost the exact colour green called "Pale Green", but I want to go acrylic so I found a little lighter green in Tamiya called "Sky". Sounds blue but it looks like a lighter shade of this green. I don’t know how they get all these details nailed down in the factory and still keeps things moving down the line. The RTR stuff really does amaze me sometimes, and a good example is this WP RTR version. I think the cab looks great.

Brad, I've seen gray, green, and every combination between. I did a light wash over the control panel just to show detail.

Well I decided to go for it and see what happened. I was trying to decide whether or not to use the prototype "Whip" antenna for these models or to just fudge it and go with a sturdy "Firecracker" antenna.

I got some Detail Associates "Whip" style bases and drilled them out with a #80 bit which is the smallest bit they make I think and tried my best to drill out the center of this very small detail part. Then I treaded "DA" brand (the smallest they make I think) 0.006" brass rod cut to a scale 12" up through the center of the drilled base and tacked it with a needle dipped in thin CA. I originally avoided this detail because I thought it would be very thin and flimsy but to my surprise, when cut to 3.5mm this rod is actually very rigid. Here are the results...

View attachment 22850

View attachment 22851

Brad, another option is to use a paint brush bristle. ;)

Nice! I never would have thought of that.:eek: Then again that is why I am here. The level of knowledge and skill on this site amazes me, day in and day out. These will be the second and third models I have ever done (The first in undecorated versions), the first being the EMD F3 Proto 2000 from NYC into NW (freelance scheme) that I did. And the interesting thing to me is that I have used only the techniques I have learned from magazines and this forum.

I am also amazed at how you turn out so many quality switchers with attention to detail and finish in what seems like such a short time. I feel these two have taken me forever. Then again these will probably be the only two SW1500's I will do for the foreseeable future, so I need to take my time.

Thanks again to all, for the help and information and the people on this forum.:cool:

Brad, we all learn something here. That's what I like about this forum. Many people with different backgrounds, different skills, and all willing to share!!! ;)

Jerome. Have you ever thought of putting out a detailed list of the parts you use to build your switchers? I have a handfull of BN units that I want to detail in the future and have no idea where to start with this.

Chris, I could put out a list but the only problem is, each switcher has it's own details. For example, an SP unit versus a BN unit. The cab roof details are totally different, the sideframes are different, and the pilot details are different etc. etc. Even units from the same railroad are different sometimes depending on their heritage. Then you have to consider how much you actually want to put on it. Some might say I go a little overboard on mine.

Email me a picture of a unit your going to do and I can make up the list from memory I bet. ;)

Jerome. Have you ever thought of putting out a detailed list of the parts you use to build your switchers? I have a handful of BN units that I want to detail in the future and have no idea where to start with this.

Finally these are ready for some paint. If it helps Chris there is a small list of the parts I used on these at the bottom, which for the most part are commonly found on all SW1500's like Lift bars, MU hoses, Air hoses, Antennas and Lift rings. As for prototype specific details and placement of these parts, you are best to look at the photo of your unit in real life and then source those specific details for that model and then place them accordingly.

Extra holes not used on my prototype (Plus my mistakes) were filled with white Squadron Putty. I would have preferred to use green Squadron Putty if I was doing it again because it offers colour contrast to the white undecorated shell which helps see where you have sanded. The model in these photos are of the Athearn Undecorated SW1500 part number ATH-95840 (Non-SP Version). The nice thing about these undecorated RTR versions is they come with a large bag of extra parts including different side frames and prototype specific details to choose from. All you have to do is decided what you want to use and what you don't. I myself replaced most of the details with third party details because in my opinion they just look better.

View attachment 23056

View attachment 23057

View attachment 23058

View attachment 23059

Details West

AH-328 Leslie Low Profile SU-3L-R (Horn)
MU-266 MU Hose
AH-267 Air Hose
FF-167 Fuel Filler
BE-292 Bell Roof Top (SP)

Details Associates

SY 2211 Coupler Lift Bar ‘ARR’
2809 Truck Air Line ‘EMD’ *DOES NOT FIT DO NOT USE*
2206 3 1/2'” Eye Bolts (also used for Lift Bars)
1802 Radio Antenna – Whip (bases only)
2501 Brass Wire - .006” (for antenna or use Jerome’s bristle technique)

Cannon and Company

ST-2016 Walkway Safety Tread (Thanks Jerome)
ST-2002 Safety Tread and steps SW1000 and SW1500
(ST-2037 NOT recommended because the fit and finish is poor regardless of whether or not you have deck mounted or side mounted railings)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had typed something more specific in my last post about RRs being more specific. I guess given the fact that all RRs are different. Perhaps some sort of list of parts depending on which RR uses what would be a big plus. For me personally though, I model BNSF. The problem is trying to desipher which parts in the detail catalogs are the correct parts for the perticular locomotive. Even things like a simple snow plow with only a part number makes it hard to even know what you need to finish the job.

I had typed something more specific in my last post about RRs being more specific. I guess given the fact that all RRs are different. Perhaps some sort of list of parts depending on which RR uses what would be a big plus. For me personally though, I model BNSF. The problem is trying to desipher which parts in the detail catalogs are the correct parts for the perticular locomotive. Even things like a simple snow plow with only a part number makes it hard to even know what you need to finish the job.

I think we could help you with the details for sure. Can you post a picture of the BNSF model that you are wanting to detail? I would love to see what you have to work with or at least your starting point.

Chris, are you doing one of these???

101_0470.jpg

or this?

100_3505.jpg

or this??

100_3401.jpg

or this???

100_3397.jpg

I have 3 BB green BN units from back when Atlas had that sale on them for 20 dollars last year. So I would like to do something like your #3618 or #3418. Patch them to BNSF (sorry BN guys). Is one of those an SW1000? I only see one exhaust stack. I have researched photos to get some idea on where to place grab irons and other details and tried to make the best out of what parts I would need. I should also mention that I really havent put any real effort beyond looking at the model and some pictures. So I really havent bought anything for these models nor have I made any effort to start the project. Its one of those deals where I have these locomotives and about 15 other BB locomotives that I would like to detail for the fun of it.

Chris, I'll build you a list for the SW1500 BNSF green one. Yes, the other is an SW1000. Only 15 BB kits sitting around?? Man I wish I could get down to that number!!! LOL I'm trying to thin the herd down though.

Chris here's a list of all of the parts on unit #3418.

Detail Associates
229-2211 coupler lift bar X2
229-1404 drop step X 2
229-2206 lift ring X 12 (4 on body, 4 each for coupler bar)
229-2901 Beacon X 1
229-2202 grab iron X 10
229-1802 whip antenna X 4
229-6206 air hoses X 2
229-1505 MU stand X 2

Details West
235-266 MU Cables X 4
235-174 Air horn X 1
235-167 Fuel fillers X 2
235-128 Bell X 1
235-157 Firecracker antenna X 1

A-Line
116-29200 Wiper set X 1

Cannon & Co.
191-2002 Walkway and step set X 1

BLMA
176-4550 Antenna stands X 1

Now that list is specific for that unit according to the prototype pictures I found on-line.

Sweet. Thanks for this.:cool:

This gives me an idea. Someone out there should start a website for those that enjoy superdetailing locomotives and are willing to post thier parts list(s) when time permits. I didnt see anything on Dieseldetailer but im sure a database similiar to what Details Associates webpage has to offer is a nice start. I think a lot of guys look at a real locomotive and see a device on it, which they have no idea what it is, say a speed recorder for instance and would have no idea what to look for in a catalog like Detail accociates.

Sweet. Thanks for this.:cool:

I didnt see anything on Dieseldetailer but im sure a database similar to what Details Associates webpage has to offer is a nice start.

I think you mean Details West because as far as I know Detail Associates does not have a website which is a shame. I get the two mixed up all the time too when I talk about them. There is an awesome looking NS on the Details West site. I hope to achieve that level of detail myself some day.:eek:

http://www.detailswest.com/NS Models Page.htm

I got the first coat of Polly Scale "Steam Power Black" on tonight. N&W sure isn't a very complicated paint scheme to say the least. Maybe someday I will try the bicentennial SD45 before I call myself a painter.:D

View attachment 23136

View attachment 23137

I decided to loose the tread plate over the pilots because it covered the drop steps and would only allow them to be modeled in the down position. I preferred them in the up position plus it helped clear the way for the MU stands. Also trying to CA the MU stands on the tread plate would have allowed CA to wick across the detail and would have caused a mess.

View attachment 23138

The interior cab and console was sprayed with Tamiya "Sky" which was the closest acrylic paint I could find in a grey/green hue. I would really like to hand paint a detail this part but I cannot seem to find any pictures of an SW1500 cab interior. I might just have to wing it.

Gloss coat and decals to follow...

Back