Easter Weekend Photo fun 21/22/23/24 March

Had a few things show up this past week. Pikestuff Enginehouse arrived and looks like a pretty cool kit. Needs a paintjob before I can get started on it though, the blue and white just isn't going to look right in my plans.

Acquired an EMD GP38-2 in the Seaboard Coast Line black and yellow colors. Original plans were to be resprayed in
IANR colors but, now that it is here I am not sure that I can get myself to repaint it. Pretty sharp looking Geep.

2351414161_8d9ed695f0_o.jpg

This 50' car is scheduled to be my first weathering project....after I do some more studying. :eek:

2351414157_ccc50f4877_o.jpg

and last, but in no way least, CNW Dash 9-44CW #8627 found it's way here too and was promptly installed onto a frame. Thanks Jerome!!!! This Dash 9 is the first of a small fleet of CNW that will find it's way onto my layout in the coming months. :cool:

2351473745_c88c13ab99_o.jpg

John, hard to believe that was en empty shed six months ago. You've really made an amazing amount of progress.

Jos, what can I say. Even your bare trees look better than my completed models. Have you ever thught about selling those on e-bay or in the For Sale section here?

Jeffrey, looks like you've kicked off classic freight car week with that Southern all door box, then Dave with those Athearn flats with the boat and airplane and finally Tom with practically a whole train of classics, including that B&O Timesaver car. Nice stuff!

Ron, that powerhouse is a tought kit to build but it does look impressive when it's done. Looks good so far.

Mrtpls, very nice weather jobs on those tank cars, especially the rust on the swayback. Looks like you are really starting to get the weathering thing down.

Crandall, your shot is one of those "Is it a model or the real thing" types. The roadbed and hills look gread and, of course, that big Mallet on the front is really the centerpiece. The only thing that tipped me off was that telegraph pole with the white insulators. Why do they always have those painted white? Now get out there and paint them light green or black so we don't need to have this talk again! :D

Whoops, I forgot Carl and Bob. Carl, I say stick with SCL colors although the IANR colors look good too. I just like to see some fallen flags running around. Bob, great modeling and composition as usual. I love the kid trying to decide what kind of candy to get out of those machines.

Nice Work everyone

Jos What can i say, most people are happy to model the top of a tree, you even do the root's as per prototype,, That is a stunning set of pictures
you are a true master of your hobby :)

Happy Easter

Great stuff as usual! Way to go guys!!

A few pics from Chambly ...

CN Switcher.....

2008322173017_CN%20Switcher.JPG

2008322173121_CVBox1.JPG

2008322173048_CV%20box2.JPG

2008322172934_CN%20CV%203.JPG

2008322172828_CN%201.JPG

Here is a recent image. As if from atop a hill overlooking a siding and the descending grade into Seneca Falls, a Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Mallet holds back a long heavy consist of H2a hoppers laden with coal.
Selector, I have to tell you, I'm too busy looking at your track to pay much attention to the locomotive. Excellent work!

OK, This is a shot of my "test wall". I usually have one on a model to checkout the color combos and weathering techniques I might use. They seem to vary with every model I build. The "test wall" is a wall that I know the general public won't really see on the layout. It faces away from them and doesn't have to be picture perfect. I like to hammer out the look before moving onto the visible sides.

This is the first wave of washes I did. The green is Poly-S "Dark Green". The light wash is their "Aged White" diluted with many drops of windshield washer fluid. I sparingly brushed this on and let it spread naturally. In the areas that it didn't spread to I brushed on a wash of black India ink diluted with alot of 70% isopropyl alcohol.
View attachment 9184

In this shot the section below the second green strip is weathered and above it is the regular, untouched "dirt" color.
View attachment 9185

One of my local club members asked me to paint his caboose for him.

GMOcabend.png

End

GMOcabside.png

Side

Probably should have turned flash off.
What ya think?

Last edited by a moderator:
OHMYGAW--

These are some of the best photos I've seen in ages, you people! Talk about terrific shots and terrific modeling---I'm almost embarrassed to post this older one from my archives (haven't been doing much in the way of taking photos, lately).

Anyway, it's my original pre-Hornby, original run Rivarossi Allegheny being tried out 'on loan' hauling an eastbound freight over Yuba Summit. And all you thought I had was Yellowstones, right?:rolleyes:

105041676.jpg

Sorry about the focus--it looked better on Picturetrail. BTW, this one lost its traction tires about six months after I got it, but it hasn't affected its pulling power one iota. Hauls like a trooper!

Tom :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my newest piece of rolling stock. The hi-cube marking bled a bit, I had to use a brush as I ran out of spray paint, and wasn't about to fire up the airbrush for that.

I ended up using Model Master SAC Bomber Green, and intend to use Floquil Light Green on a covered hopper.

A couple of street scenes from Gifford City. People sitting in the shade in the little park across from the trolley barn, and a chat outside the new White Tower. It's popular with the engine service guys.

Jeff, thanks. That's a huge compliment from you. :)

Jim, okay, I'll see what I can do. Darn, I was hoping to smoke that past you guys. :p

-Crandell

Back