Dremel Recommendation?

I have the corded 4000 model and have no complaints. I also picked up the workstation drill press a month ago since I dont have any sort of drill press and this looks like a good unit to have for someone that doesnt have one. I cant comment on the workstation though, still havent taken it out of the box and put it together. Although I did take a look inside the box though.

G'day...I'll add my two cents worth as a newbie... I bought a brand new dremel kit exclusively for model railwaying use.. It's corded with the extra pen grip handpiece as well... LOVE IT had it about 2 years...only problem is the all too easy cut off wheels that came with it...takes nothing so break them when cutting track..believe you can buy better quality ones but for this purpose I've just ordered a pair of Xuron track cutters....but the dremel itself is just great... Cheers Rod

G'day...I'll add my two cents worth as a newbie... I bought a brand new dremel kit exclusively for model railwaying use.. It's corded with the extra pen grip handpiece as well... LOVE IT had it about 2 years...only problem is the all too easy cut off wheels that came with it...takes nothing so break them when cutting track..believe you can buy better quality ones but for this purpose I've just ordered a pair of Xuron track cutters....but the dremel itself is just great... Cheers Rod

Dubro makes fiber cut off wheels, they are about 1 1/2"in diameter and last a long time as long as you let the disc do the cutting.

Jim

I think that I have some Dremel cutoff wheels that are about 20 yrs old. I haven't used anything but the fiberglass re-inforced wheels since they were developed for the Dremel.

I've worn out mandrels for the Dremel faster than I've worn out those wheels.

G'day again

Thanks for the feedback on the cut off wheels...yep ..the ones I've got are the cheapies that came with the dremel kit..have about one dozen of the 36 0riginals.... I ordered a pair of Xuron track cutters anyway...how do you like them by the way...many prefer them I believe...Cost about $22 Australian..
Cheers Rod..

Xuron tools are fantastic. Worth every penny (more I'd say, but don't tell Xuron that ;) )

Thanks guys for all the great info on rotary tools. This thread has been a fountain of experience and wisdom.

the thin cutoff discs work fine as long as you move the blade perfectly parallel to the cut. Any twist or rotation off axis will snap it in a nonosecond as most of us know firsthand. They really work when you need a thinner cut, the reinforced are 2-3x thicker. Cutting rails really needs the reinforced as the cut is tough to make perfectly parallel since the track interferes and the extra wide cut isn't an issue usually.

safety glasses are a must for either.

is tough to make perfectly parallel since the track interferes
That is why I love the model I recommended with the flexible shank. The end piece is so much smaller than a whole Dremel unit I can get it perfectly perpendicular and parallel to the track for cuts. I also don't use cut-off-disks for track but a fine tooth saw blade. The saw blade is much thinner than the cut-of-disks.

dremel , cut off wheels ,saws

G'day again all, Home for our national day of commemoration on ANZAC DAY..
Australia and New Zealand Army Corps...As fairly new independent nations the Gallipoli Battle in Turkey on April25 1915 defined us as fighting for freedom and peace and we remember those from WW One and Two and Korea , Vietnam ,Iraq , Afghanistan and peacekeeping roles in East Timor etc so this day..means a lot to so many.. I digress..
Thanks for confirmation on Xuron Cutters , and now the fine tooth saw mentioned...never heard of them.. and the special cut off wheels that you can buy for dremels....I believe Xuron make several types of cutters and that if you try to cut wire or harder than track stuff it'll ruin the track cutters ...so probably
good to obtain correct Xuron cutters for correct purpose...Cheers Rod..

For cutting track, Xuron is the best in my opinion. As far as the Dremel cutoff discs, I read on some MRR forum years ago to pair them up. Use two instead of one, I haven't had one break since I started doing that. Of course if you're gapping track that's already laid, it's probably too big of a gap.
willie

Here is a trick regarding That Xuron track cutter that might save you a few bucks. Its is actually a tool you can find anywhere for much cheaper. Should be able to find these smaller style cutters at stores like the Craftsman department at Sears. I have another cutter that is identical to the track cutter but the tool is made by someone else and cost half the cost. Oh, its also guaranteed for life as well. Tools these days are made by a few manufactures and repackaged by someone else. When I put the Xuron cutter next to the other brands cutter. You can clearly tell the actual cutter came from the same factory. The only difference is the factory stamps the tool company (xuron, Craftsman, etc.) info on the metal portion. The real difference is in the rubber handles. Where Xuron uses the familiar orange color. The other brand product I have made by Xcelite. Mine is the 170M. I also have the Xuron track cutter as well and thier micro shear. The Xcelite 170M is identical to the Xuron micro shear accept for the rubber handles are different. I did some online searching and I believe the Xcelite 2178M is the exact same tool as Xurons track cutter.

The only reason I was even able to put two and two together is that I found the 170M and noticed right away it looked like the Xuron tools I and most of us already have and brought it home to compare to both Xuron cutters I have and noticed its the same tool as the the micro shear. I figured this is worth mentioning in case some do not have access to getting the Xuron tool (they only seem to be available through hobby shops) and would rather just get one without waiting to for one to get shipped. Your local hardware store or a big tool retailer like Sears should have the exact same thing, and you wont have to pay the roughly 12-20 dollars for it. Plus it can typically be found from retailers that will guarantee it for life.

84127.jpg

31pG-s4rlPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Xuron stuff

G'day Chris and fellow modellers.....Thanks for the tip on the alternate and cheaper option for track cutters... I'm in a tiny little town in rural Tasmania (pop nearly 800) St Marys, and even in the cities Hobart (state capital)
around 200,000 and Launceston (around 110,000) the model shops I've visited rarely carry all but well known brands..Actually they're not even dedicated to model rail , it's RC , aircraft , model ships, plastic static RC cars etc, AND some model rail and mostly British AND cheap and nasty...
So I buy online exclusively , some from the USA, postage is quick but really expensive, great range and generally high quality....and from two
EBAY BUY IT NOW stores here in Queensland , Australia...Prices are USA comparable, quality good, range fair, postage superb ....usually next day EXPRESS...and depending on size /weight..postage range $6 - $20 for bigger stuff like two boxes of Atlas Track recently.... They don't carry alternates to the XURON CUTTERS but the price was $22 Australian which
is about parity $22 US. I'm starting my new shelf layout soon and wanted to try them on that but still have the DREMEL too...so it'll be great..Will be about 30 metres of mainline so a fair bit of cutting required.
Thanks Chris and all respondents for great suggestions and why this forum is fantastic...Cheers Rod..

Rodney,

Any student of history knows that both Australia and New Zealand's military have long "punched far above their weight" population-wise when it comes to fighting for freedom. So from the US, thanks.

Chas.

Thanks Charles

G'day... Thanks Charles for the reply Why I digressed whilst answering a Xuron Track Cutter topic was that I'd just come home after attending the Dawn Service,
for ANZAC DAY... our most special day , even more so than Remembrance Day in November .if that's possible. It's a chance to reflect on so many who sacrificed their lives or put their lives on hold , and still do , so that we can live the lives we do now. A huge debt of gratitude must go to our 'brothers in arms' from the USA whose
sacrifices are always held in the same regard by us Aussies.Not glorifying war but remembering and appreciating those immense sacrifices and why our original "diggers" from the first Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) and jointly with New Zealand on that
fateful day at Gallipoli set the "mateship" (looking out for your friends) ode that
we share with all our great friend not least the USA..today...My two uncles fought side by side with US troops in the Pacific and New Guinea and made friends lifelong...Despite virtually none of the original AIF still going even those who lied about their age and indeed the WW2 boys/and girls most in their mid to late eighties the numbers paying respect and attending ANZAC Day commemorations are actually increasing. So much to honour and Lest We Forget. Appreciate your comments very much...What do you model by the way... Cheers Rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back