Dremel Recommendation?

LoudMusic

I'm thinking it's time to buy a Dremel, or other rotary tool. Not just for modeling but for general rotary tool uses. Do you guys have any recommendations? What about non-specifics like corded versus cordless? Variable speed versus fixed speed? Or just brand favorites?

With my other power tools I am definitely not brand loyal. Just off the top of my head I can count five different brands. I think the only cordless thing I have is my drill/driver, and I probably use it more than anything I own, but it's one of those kinds of tools.

I have three Dremels. I use the Stylus the most. Cordless, versatile, powerful, and holds a charge for a really long time. Not the cheapest of the line, but well worth the money.

Just my opinion. I can't stand Dremel rotary motors. The slowest speed is still to fast for anything I need. I wind up using a Variac to control the speeds when working on plastic so it won't melt.

I don't like the speed control or the lack of torque. I find the rotary on/off-speed control in the wrong place and if you drop the tool it doesn't shut off on all the ones I've owned. I find that dangerous for something that can turn 15,000 rpm with a circular razor sawblade. I always used them with a footpedal switch for better safety.
I finally bought a Foredom and will never turn back. They are expensive but they will give great service. Share one with a buddy. Even porting your heads on your automobiles is a cinch. :D

http://www.foredom.net/

Wow - Foredom's gear looks really nice. It's also roughly 3 to 4 times the price. But I understand your concerns on melting the plastics from too high of RPM. I've done that on non-modeling projects and it's highly frustrating.

Thanks for the info! Fancy tools.

I have two Dremels, both corded models. The oldest one is nearly twenty-five years old and still runs great. I good the newer one (Model 300) about eight years ago. It's almost identical to the old one. I've had three cordless Dremels. All three hit the trash can within two years. I'll never buy another cordless model.

Like Jeff, I've got an older Dremel (corded) which I find fits the hand quite well. Had a look at some new ones not long ago and the rechargeable felt very bulky and even the corded ones did too.

i've used dremel on working on my camaro & model railroading , i love it oh both ones ive got are corded

I have a corded variable speed Dremel at home which I really like, and a cordless one at work which I really hate. It has low power to start with, and it apparently has some sort of load sensor that shuts it down if you drag the motor down....and when that happens you have to shut the whole unit off, and then start again. I also have a 2 speed Black and Decker cordless at home that I like...it has good power, and runs off B&D's 3 volt interchangable batteries, so I can keep it running all day if needed. I probably use that 80% of the time.

LoudMusic:

Here's my 2 cents.

About 1974 I purchased a used Dremel tool. And with 3 brush set changes, some cracked and broken plastic "fixed" with black electrical tape, it lasted 26 years. Also I ran the power to it through an old sewing machine foot pedal and through a round light dimmer switch, so I had 100% variable speed (which was REALLY nice, especially speed control with my right foot leaving my two hands free.)

I still have and use the same setup (foot pedal and dimmer switch) now on a fairly new Dremel Tool Single Speed (on/off switch which I leave ON all the time), 30,000 rpm, Model 275, Type 5.

Through almost 40 years I can't count the times I've used the Dremel tool for grinding, cutting, polishing, drilling etc. etc. ect., with total speed control. And this newer tool has a hand-twist chuck - no wrench needed, thank you.

And I've used the tool many times without the pedal and dimmer swich for harder work outdoors.

To use an old expression, you can't beat this with a stick.

What's not to like?

DougC

The Stylus is cordless but much more powerfin than those little ones that run off AA batteries. Check it out here:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=1100

I have used it for heavy cutting or grinding as well as polishing on non MR projects. It feels good in the hand as well. All Dremels are high speed, so I don't try and use carbide drill bits in them for example. That's what a drill press is for. You also have to be careful about trying to mill with one. The bearings aren't really designed for those klinds of loads. One of my corded models is around 20 years old, the other brand new one which Dremel gave me during a tour of their facility and for participating in a seminar. All three are good tools, but the Stylus is the most versatile and comfortable to use.

Just my $.02 :D

I'm thinking it's time to buy a Dremel, or other rotary tool.
A Dremel is one tool I have never regretted buying. I have used it for so much more than model trains......

Unfortunately the model that I purchased in 1981 is no longer made or I would highly recommend it. It is just now starting to show some symptoms of a bearing going out in the flexible wand. I'm hoping I can get parts or it will last another 5 years as is.

My son won one of the new top-of-the-line cordless ones in the Lowes Dremel Derby (http://www.dremelderby.com/photos2011.aspx), I find it bulky to hold and not to my liking. The battery does not hold a charge near long enough, and it doesn't just slow down when the battery gets to a certain charge level it just shuts the thing off. Most annoying.

I also have a very basic bottom of the line single speed one that picked up on a clearance rack somewhere. I carry in my generic tool box. It works OK for some things, but I would definitely recommend getting variable speed.

I also recommend the long flexible extension. That makes a normal Dremel much closer to my main unit that I purchased all those years ago.

Just my opinion. I can't stand Dremel rotary motors. The slowest speed is still to fast for anything I need. I wind up using a Variac to control the speeds when working on plastic so it won't melt.

I don't like the speed control or the lack of torque. I find the rotary on/off-speed control in the wrong place and if you drop the tool it doesn't shut off on all the ones I've owned. I find that dangerous for something that can turn 15,000 rpm with a circular razor sawblade. I always used them with a footpedal switch for better safety.
I finally bought a Foredom and will never turn back. They are expensive but they will give great service. Share one with a buddy. Even porting your heads on your automobiles is a cinch. :D

http://www.foredom.net/

Charles,

What model of grinder to you recommend for use with plastic? I see they have their best seller highlighted.

Larry

Larry,

I always had access to Foredom models at work to borrow for a weekend. I never paid much attention to model numbers and I'm sure the ones I used are really old and replaced with newer ones. But since retiring, I bought several Dremels and used them reluctantly. I never have found a use for 30,000 rpm. :D

Recently I bought a hanging unit from Micro-Mark. It's a cable-drive unit with lots of low-end torque and a foot pedal speed control. It is designed to hang down from a hook (a metal shelf bracket works) to keep the cable somewhat straight. Very little 'run-out' at the spinning tool end. The tool end is about the size of two C-batteries end-to-end with a 1/4" Jacobs Chuck. I like it and find it to be a fine bargain. It looks like a older Foredom model but it may be a "replica". At 99 bucks I don’t think anything can touch it.

Here's a look at it.
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-flex-shaft-machine,10734.html

I do want to research a smaller Foredum with a choice of collets or small chuck and a bench-top speed control. They are the finest but triple the cost - gulp!. Here's a youtube demo of one of their models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxi8nTkJLho&nofeather=True

I have 2 model 395 Dremel Multi pro units and a Sears Craftsman model. All work equally well but I like the feel of the Sears the best and also like the speed contol on it the best as well. It uses a thumb wheel instead of a sliding type switch like the Dremels have. The price was right as well. $25 for the kit which included a flex shaft and other attachments.

MRLdave.

If it looks like this Dremel with the speed knob on it, your Craftsman model may be made by Dremel. I noticed an uncanny similarity at the local Sears recently.

One of the things I dislike about this model is where the control is placed. It is not accessible to how I hold the tool - bad ergonomics in my book.

If you are holding the piece of "work" in the other hand and if you want to change the speed you need an assistant, or a third hand. Or, you have to temporarily put the work down to adjust the speed or turn it off for a moment. I find that a hindrance to safety if nothing else. So I use a foot pedal for an on/off control.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way that I have to hold my Dremel puts my thumb right on the on/off/speed switch so that doesn't present a problem. I can easily change the speed while working.

Back