Double wooden trestles? Do they make them?

Im not really skilled enough with wood to build my own, so do you know if they sell double wooden trestles? I couldnt find anything on ebay about them.

Something similar to:

a207916126edb53326fd0a_m.GIF

I don't think I've ever even seen a picture of a double track wood trestle. Why not buy two single kits, and splice them together?

Miami Valley use to make double wood trestle kits. They were bought out about 8 yrs. ago & if you can find who bought them out that is the only one's that I know of that made that kit. I've made 3 diff. one's of their kits.

at local train show i see guys that sell their own custom made ones. the quality is quite high and price is somewhat acceptable.

but why not try to build your own? so you not so skilled, try, practice and perhaps if not immediately successful, 3rd or 4th trestle you will like.

my first trestle. matchsticks and craft wood sticks(1$ a pack)

DSC_3443-vi.jpg

This 39" single track trestle is scratch made with dowels and wood strips from the hobby shop and about 800 BNW's from Grandtline. The small trestle on the creek is also scratch made. There is a lot of enjoyment in building your own, plus the advantage of fitting it into the space the way you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a fairly large single track curved trestle a few years ago. It was something I always wanted to try but was intimidated by. But once I started it was rather easy. I drew a pattern for the vertical parts then used balsa wood and glued and pushed in track nails to hold it together. (They look like bolts from a few feet away). Set them up and added horizontal and diagonals. I never completed the deck but it wouldn't be that hard. It seems to WOW visitors but it wasn't very difficult to build.

Double trestles.. I am currently building a large double trestle with a span of 88 actual inches. I bought a bent jig from Bear Construction that is designed for double lines. The jig allows you to build each bent the same as the first. Check them out, it sure makes it easy to build nice looking bents. The top deck is easy, have fun! Jack in Star, Idaho...

Back