• Battery power and/or radio control

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mix of DCC and conventional and will continue to use both

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Currently upgrading my system to be DCC only

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • I currently use DCC exclusively

Votes: 112 55.2%
  • Other system: Computer control, live steam etc.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Digitrax lets you switch between multiple locos with one button, but overall I find the Digitrax systems to be less user friendly than the other systems.

The fact that Digitrax allows two locos to be controlled at one time is a big feature of their design. I'm not sure all units will allow this. Certainly if you could find a way to pop locos to/from some kind of stack and control them easily is something Digitrax could improve on. The way I see it, they're going to have to make their radio link with the handheld throttle bi-directional, rather than from throttle to base unit only. Having to connect the throttle to the loconet to gain control of another loco is a big pain in the rear. They already have a method to "recall" previous loco numbers from a stack by pressing one of the control knobs and then rotating through a list. This part is slick. Again, this only works when the throttle is connected to the loconet.

Bill

Bill or anyone any word on any future updates or revisions of avoiding to have to plug into the throttle all the time?

I took the liberty of asking this nagging question to TECH support @ digitrax...

I pasted part of the forum discussion to get their attention. Bob hope this is ok?:confused: :eek:

here is what happened....

At my local forums called www.modelrailroadforums.com

We are having a discussion on DCC products and in particular digitrax

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852&page=7

Originally Posted by jfugate
Digitrax lets you switch between multiple locos with one button, but overall I find the Digitrax systems to be less user friendly than the other systems.

Originally Posted by B Kosanda
The fact that Digitrax allows two locos to be controlled at one time is a big feature of their design. I'm not sure all units will allow this. Certainly if you could find a way to pop locos to/from some kind of stack and control them easily is something Digitrax could improve on. The way I see it, they're going to have to make their radio link with the handheld throttle bi-directional, rather than from throttle to base unit only. Having to connect the throttle to the loconet to gain control of another loco is a big pain in the rear. They already have a method to "recall" previous loco numbers from a stack by pressing one of the control knobs and then rotating through a list. This part is slick. Again, this only works when the throttle is connected to the loconet.

Originally Posted by Alcomotive (me)
My question is will there be a time that we will not have to plug in to the loconet board or throttle ?????

Thanks
Alcomotive
(James)

Tech Support:

Yes. When? Not sure so cannot give a date at this time, but it is actively being worked on.
Happy Railroading
Digitrax
450 Cemetery Street Suite 206
Norcross, GA 30071
770 441 7992
Fax 770 441 0759
email: techsupport@digitrax.com
WEB: www.digitrax.com

Last edited by a moderator:
DCC is one of the most important new technologies in model railroading for quite some time. It can literally change the way you run your model railroad, allowing features and options that weren't available.

Pretty much everyone agrees it's a great technology. There are also some major drawbacks, such as the cost and effort involved in retro-fitting an existing layout and fleet of rolling stock.

I'm curious to know whether you use or are planning to use DCC on your model railroad.
Yes, I am currently building a railroad from scratch and decided I would use dcc from the get-go. Plan to start with a Zypher and retrofit many diesel engines.
Dave

The layout that I am running on has been around sens the 1970's and still has not switched to DCC. we are still running DC but are working towards a DCC system. wiring has started but no system has been selected. Many members are reluctant to having to rewire there engines So for now its in the layouts future but no date is set.

I am just a lone-wolf dabbler in HO, so DC is fine right now. With the layout as it is (classic 4x8 ply, kicked to 4x10) all it would add is constant headlight and a second train runnig the mainline while I switch the yard.

The headlight is not a big deal and the second train could be managed with a little wiring work and a second cab.

I have no interest in sound, consists or close order drill.

If I ever redo the layout, maybe DCC would be apropriate, but not now.

Started with Digitrax Super Empire Builder, moved (up?!) to NCE. Procab wireless at the club, powercab at home. Easy to use, expandable, cost effective.

I've had an NCE PowerCab system since 2002. I must say I'm still enthralled by it at times. Easy to use, interface with my PC is super easy, (DecoderPro) and since it was brought up here, I CAN control 6 consists at one time, the only limiting factor is the functioning of my brain and if I can keep up to the trains!!!!:eek:
Plus the radio cabs are soo cool. I can stand in the backyard and operate train in the basement!!!!:D

There are also some major drawbacks, such as the cost and effort involved in retro-fitting an existing layout and fleet of rolling stock.
What would everyone do if things were really costly and hard? DCC is cheap and easy.

You want hard and expensive go back to CTC-16 where cheap decoders were $50 and the size of Ohio. The base unit (if you built it yourself) was about $1000, and it could ONLY handle 16 channels. No headlamp control, no functions. Oh and the decoders were hard wired, no cool CVs to change the settings.

What would everyone do if things were really costly and hard? DCC is cheap and easy.

You want hard and expensive go back to CTC-16 where cheap decoders were $50 and the size of Ohio. The base unit (if you built it yourself) was about $1000, and it could ONLY handle 16 channels. No headlamp control, no functions. Oh and the decoders were hard wired, no cool CVs to change the settings.

:eek: Eghads man, don't remind me!!!!!. Once ran a Mann Made CTC16 system. Decoders as long and the long horn on a geep, and too wide to fit across the top of a motor, sometimes you had to mount it to one side of a motor just to get it in. Head lights were on all the time. N scale, forget it!!!!
Sooooooo glad I got DCC (way back in 2000)

:eek: Eghads man, don't remind me!!!!!. Once ran a Mann Made CTC16 system. Decoders as long and the long horn on a geep, and too wide to fit across the top of a motor, sometimes you had to mount it to one side of a motor just to get it in. Head lights were on all the time. N scale, forget it!!!!
Sooooooo glad I got DCC (way back in 2000)

And just to think that technology has now progressed so far as bendable, paper-thin high quality speakers. Which are also cuttable.
Unfortunately, these are not available in any model yet, but I immediately thought of their model railroading application when I heard about them. Hopefully they'll show up soon.

Another Hold Out

I am running DC only and don't have any plans to change. Most of my layout is hand laid track and I have heard many stories about hand laid track being a problem. The cost is another reason for not changing. Then there is the cost and time to convert well over 30 locomotives. If I were to change over, I wouldn't think of a starter system. I would get a better system that wouldn't have to be upgraded at some time down the road. I know a number of modelers that have had to upgrade or replace their DCC system do to not planning for the future.

I am a lone operator and DC has been working just fine for me for decades. My layout was started in the early 80's. I see no reason to change.

See where you're coming from

G'day from Australia... Despite me only modelling in HO over the past five years, I tried N scale before that in DC of course...Began HO in 2008 , sold N scale stuff but stayed in DC... I actually have a soft spot for DC despite switching to DCC control about 18 months ago.. On original layout I ran three loops , two had
passing track , the other was a Madison Central track plan , all on a 3.8 metres
x 1.6 metres table..Three separate DC controllers , driving three consists, all at the same time...Then one day I decided to whack crossovers to the two outer tracks , and then the problems started..I eventually resolved it all by switching to DCC control...took all of five minutes and once i programmed locomotives I seemed to have better independent running again. I did some upgrading including using Dynamis wireless control..but just the same I do fondly recall watching three trains , all with 14-15 rolling stock circulating happily in DC..Ever thought of DCS ...I think that's somewhere in between isn't it ? not seen it live..
Happy DCing in the meantime...It's still great fun...Cheers Rod..

I was once a DCC "Luddite", but I finally began the conversion process in 2006; got decoders into all my locos a few at a time over a 6-month period. Now I'm doing things that were impossible on straight DC - for example, modeling an engine terminal where I can have several units parked on the same track while moving one of them [or a consist] individually as a hostler would do.

I find it interesting that this thread is going after 8 years. Timeless topic for the hobby, I guess.

I went to DCC within 6 months of getting back into the hobby 5 years ago (first venture was as a kid, some 25 years earlier). The hobby revolutionized during my absence. Rolling stock is museum piece quality and there are all sorts of circuit boards that can be used to enhance operation.

I have never regretted the decision to go DCC. The enjoyment over DC operation far outweighs the expense of DCC. There is no way I would get the fulfillment out of MRRing that I get on my layout if it were strictly DC. You really run trains instead of running your track with DCC.

I have a NCE PowerCab which I upgraded with a 5 amp booster two years ago and added a 2nd throttle. At times I could use a 3rd. It is protected by 4 PSX circuit breakers (divided into 4 power districts).

It has been a great, easy system to use. I need to upgrade to JMRI as I have close to 30 DCC-equipped locos, many of them sound-equipped.

Brad

I find it interesting that this thread is going after 8 years. Timeless topic for the hobby, I guess.
I was going to comment on the old thread brought back to life also. What would really be interesting is to find all the original posters from the thread to see if there are any new perspectives.

Being a master of the DC cab control wiring systems, I cannot believe the resistance to a technology that makes wiring and running trains so easy.

I don't think it is a timeless topic. Some people are already looking beyond DCC to self powered uints and wireless control.

I'd been interested in DCC since the early 1990's, when I watched a demonstration from Marklin using their voice control. In 1998, two of us purchased a Digitrax system on behalf of our club, and Digitrax sent a pair of employees to wire it in to our N scale layout. After a couple years' evaluation, most of us N scalers went digital. From that point forward, everything we acquired for club operation was either DCC equipped or DCC ready.
I learned early on how to install decoders, and purchased a high-tech soldering station for hard-wire installs.
I now have HO scale, and with the exception of a single legacy Bachmann engine, everything in my fleet is DCC. My entire fleet has sound, or is slated for sound installation. My home layout is wired, but the club I now belong to is wireless (radio). Wireless will be my next step, after the last 5 locomotives receive sound.
And yes, I still use Digitrax, even though it has been kind of rocky the last year or two.

... Some people are already looking beyond DCC to self powered uints and wireless control.

Oh yeah...I'd love to be able to stop worrying about keeping my track and wheels surgically clean!:D All somebody has to do is develop a battery that is (1) small enough to fit in a sound-equipped HO scale hood loco, (2) can hold a charge long enough to power a loco for 2-3 hours between recharges, and (3) is not in danger of catching on fire!

Back