• Battery power and/or radio control

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mix of DCC and conventional and will continue to use both

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Currently upgrading my system to be DCC only

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • I currently use DCC exclusively

Votes: 112 55.2%
  • Other system: Computer control, live steam etc.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Bob,
I'm doing about the same thing as Jeff (saving money). While I'm still creating my layout, I plan to use DCC( after my layouts done and I have a sufficent amount of locomotives.) Whats the average price for one?
Thanks,
Chris Moore

Chris,

The prices for DCC systems range anywhere from a low of 150 to 500. It really depends upon how much you want to run. MRC probably makes the best low end system and can be added to fairly resonably.

Grumpybob

DC for me, have to install dcc decoders, etc, that will be a bit to steep in cost.
The way I have my layout setup for dc only and many blocks, i have to work it which to me is more fun. I may consider dcc if I totally rebuild my layout.

I have been a NCE user since 1999. Love it! There are 3 in my operations group that use NCE and we have a blast. The others use EasyDCC and RailCommand. One still uses DC and won't change. You can't please everybody. To him it's a cost thing and I can't blame him as he has a large layout.

Bill S.

Seriously considering the Lenz 100 system with an adittional LH100 handheld to operate the fiddle yard. Anticipated cost of £244 plus £54 plus cost of £28 per decoder. Fortunately I only have a current fleet of 11 so the decoder costs are not too high. I am looking to then install sound to get the best option. I have been told to spend the maximum on the initial system which will then stay in date for a long time. The Lenz system is upgradable via your local hobby shop.
Regards

I run a Lenz LH100 DCC system with a handheld and laptop which makes the programming a breeze. I can also control 6 locos at a time as well as all my programmed turnouts with the laptop and mouse without having to do a bunch of fiddling with the handheld. I also have the freedom to run the trains and play in the switching yard at the same time or let the Nephews run a train with the handheld while I keep control on the laptop.

I'm going with NCE walkaround on my diorama I'm building, and will also use NCE on my layout whenever i can start working on it! My dad's layout, however, I think I'm going to use an MRC or Digitrax system, that one doesn't have to be to complecated considering it will run an average of 3 diesels and 3 steam locomotives. Its gonna be a tid bit of work, to get my dad set up and running, but...

Hi grumpybob,

I'm using a program that I found on the Lenz.com web site called ZugDCC. It is one of the lesser expensive programs recommended on the site and so far I've had good luck with it. The link to their site is www.zugdcc.com.

Here is the description from the Lenz web site:

ZugDCC is an all-new shareware program designed for XpressNet. It was designed from day one to be easy to use with all the features you really want. ZugDCC features an easy to use tab style screen for each section. 8 online screen throttles, each support F0 through F12. A locomotive database for easy selection, and the easiest MU setup you'll ever find! Accessory decoders can be controlled directly, by a click-able turnout map, or by routing.

All programming modes are supported. Values can be entered and displayed in decimal, hexadecimal and binary. Also included is a scale and metric calculator. 9600 and 19200 baud supported.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Curtis

MRC makes a low end sound decoder. :eek: It will do in a pinch, too general of a sound, and they don't seem to have a good shelf life. Digitrax I understand is coming out with one. I was just on Tony's train exchange and he appears to be having a sale on Soundtraxx decoders. :D

thanks Curtis,

Unfortunately NCE does not use the ExpressNet system, so i don't think the Lenz system would work.

I just stopped by Tony's Xchange too. $87 for a $139 decoder. Not to shabby. Now if I only had a locomotive to put it in. I have the money for a sound system and locomotive but am not sure if I can depart with my green yet. Plus, I need a layout and DCC :rolleyes:

Digitrax is coming out with one, and Loksound already has a line out there. Also, QSI appears to be offering theirs through a third-party company "Sounds Like Trains". That company will do the distributing to retail outlets. Don't know if they're going to sell direct....

Kennedy

Not interested in DCC, primary because of the costs involved. But it would be nice to have in the future... Next century maybe, when I retire.:p

No comparison. With DC I ran one train on my 4x8 layout. Now I often run 5 trains. My son likes that. He runs one and I run the other 4. Keeps me hopping because he like to stop frequently and allow his passengers to see the sights.

Back