Do you lke what you do for a living?

Currently I work as a sales manager at a car parts retailer, and I do quite enjoy my job, but the pay is a bit less than I would hope for. I guess that's the trade-off for not dreading going into work. I am going to school though for aviation maintenance, and should have my airframe mechanics certification in the fall. Another 2-3 semesters an I should have the powerplant certification as well. I should have no problem finding a job with the A&P certification. So, if all goes as planned I should be making more money and still be able to enjoy my job.

As for my post here on 06-17-2014at 11:43 AM , I have no idea how long I'll be in the grocery field ... I can see the had writing, it could be today or sometime these next few days. YIKES!

BCK RR

I have no idea how long I'll be in the grocery field ... I can see the had writing, it could be today or sometime these next few days. YIKES!
What's happening? The Safeway food stores here in town started laying people off and then turn around and hire new people. Apparently to keep salaries down and create fewer people who qualify for benefits.?!! I guess they have to do something to try to compete with Walmart.

What's happening? The Safeway food stores here in town started laying people off and then turn around and hire new people. Apparently to keep salaries down and create fewer people who qualify for benefits.?!! I guess they have to do something to try to compete with Walmart.

When companies changed the names of Personell Departments from that to Human Resources, workers were in trouble. Once you are considered "used up" you can be discarded.

I work at Safeway's competitor -price rite- ... they, the store manager doesn't like me.... I'm the new guy and ten years older than the store manager as well as a transplant to the area I'm living in.

BCK RR

I work at Safeway's competitor -price rite- ... they, the store manager doesn't like me.... I'm the new guy and ten years older than the store manager as well as a transplant to the area I'm living in.

BCK RR

Had a similar experience when I got a job with a shop fitting crew. The working foreman was about 30 years younger and had quite limited skills. I wasn't in any way interested in his job (I had seen how a working foreman was the meat in the sandwich) but anything I said to give him the benefit of my experience to help him was taken as a threat to his position. First job I was on was outfitting an office several stories up with only stairs or a small elevator access. All the guys (young) were lugging their gear up and down every day in their hands and over shoulders, so I grabbed a hand cart from home, knocked up some boxes to put leads and whatever in them, stacked them up with my tools as well and took it to work. Should'a heard the derision, poor old fella, can't handle the load, eh.

So that job came to an end quickly. Funny thing was, about 6 months later, went into a local big hardware and here's my stacka cart, in plastic of course, on sale.

G'day.....Education Facility Attendant....used to be just a School Attendant until some bright spark in Head Office wanted to jazz it up a bit and get us to do PD courses on Chemicals , Safe Handling , Dangerous Goods , Occupational Health and Safety...What we are is mostly school maintenance and cleaning...The job is okay but you look forward to a break whenever it happens...Used to be a greenkeeper..on a golf course....that I really did enjoy...Cheers Rod..

Hah! Rodney. Another reminiscence. Place I worked at for many years. The Planning Engineer (his title on the office door) retired and was replaced with another younger bloke. Went to his office one day shortly after. On the door now was not one but two titles. Planning and Engineering. Guess that was worth some extra dollars.

Well Tootnkumin, it seems like every industry has a few fellows that are usually young, ambitious and nicely dressed bags of rubbish.

Generally they only have a talent for posturing and climbing over the backs (prematurely) of others whilst stabbing them at the same time. All of what should be productive time at work is spent "politicking" and not productive work.

They seem to flourish for a time in a organization before the company figures it out. Sometimes it's too late to even save the company if these nasty "bad-actors" rise high enough in the organization (perhaps to VP of some department).

I have seen a few of these types ripple through the electronic engineering companies over the decades. They never finish a project that works. Somehow the project gets cancelled so they can move onto the next failed project. All the while the bombast, backstabbing and sabotage of other's work continues by them.

If any of you have noticed this pattern in your own industry a few times let's hear about it.

For the last 10 years I have been a commercial pest control technician in Northern California. In december I was placed on disability for 2 health conditions I have. The first condition is siezure disorder. The other is a nuerological disorder called cervical myelitis, which has made my left arm and leg very weak, much like MS would. I am not sure if I liked my job or not but it was a job that paid a wage you could live on. I can not perform the job duties anymore so my company has officially let me go. I am 48 and have done the same kind of work for most of my life (physical type work) so I am trying to start over at this moment. I currently can not drive because my license has been suspended due to the siezure issue. Bottom line is I am looking for a new line of work which will envolve some sort of office style work maybe. I have no skills for the office environment but we will see what happens. Hope that was not too much info guys.

Thanks
Scott

Scott I hope this is all a path to a good new opportunity. Have you thought about going into pest control sales? An office and phone are all you need. You would certainly know the right things to sell and say.

For the last 10 years I have been a commercial pest control technician in Northern California. In december I was placed on disability for 2 health conditions I have. The first condition is siezure disorder. The other is a nuerological disorder called cervical myelitis, which has made my left arm and leg very weak, much like MS would. I am not sure if I liked my job or not but it was a job that paid a wage you could live on. I can not perform the job duties anymore so my company has officially let me go. I am 48 and have done the same kind of work for most of my life (physical type work) so I am trying to start over at this moment. I currently can not drive because my license has been suspended due to the siezure issue. Bottom line is I am looking for a new line of work which will envolve some sort of office style work maybe. I have no skills for the office environment but we will see what happens. Hope that was not too much info guys.

Thanks
Scott

How are they allowed to let you go due to your illness? Isn't that illegal? Plus, is it possible that the chemicals you used could have brought on the condition?

How are they allowed to let you go due to your illness? Isn't that illegal? Plus, is it possible that the chemicals you used could have brought on the condition?

My thoughts too, unless these were pre-underlying conditions, or they can prove you ignored safety protocols, they may have a case to answer for compensation.

California is an "employment at will" state. They can let you go for no reason. It's always better not to state a reason but to just say that the employee didn't work out or the job description has ended. They usually never state the real reason. Really, they don't even need one. If the worker is in a union it's different and it goes by the contract agreements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always find it odd, that even when the laws (or lack thereof) permit that practice, that, as you've noted there is no necessity to state or give a reason, they usually do. Guilty consciences?

Toot'n, you'd be amazed at the "Labor Laws" here, or more to the point, the lack of them. What needs to be realized is that the majority of the laws here are designed to remain in favor with the company - not the employee. Employee's are a "disposable product". It really is disgusting.

Toot'n, you'd be amazed at the "Labor Laws" here, or more to the point, the lack of them. What needs to be realized is that the majority of the laws here are designed to remain in favor with the company - not the employee. Employee's are a "disposable product". It really is disgusting.

Like I said. Human resourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
Just want explain how my situation worked. Once you are placed on disability, then you file for FMLA which is family medical leave. This is for 90 days, your employer has to hold your position for 90 days. When the 90 days are up, they have the right to terminate you or extend your time off with personal leave. In my case the FMLA ran out in March, my manager put me on extended personal leave untill june. The problem is, that I can no longer perform my job duties which include physical tasks and driving a company truck. I can no longer do either of these. I might get my drivers license back but that will be up to the DMV and my DR. The physical issues will never change and more than likely get worse as time goes on. The issues I have are not related to pesticide use, I started having siezures in 1995 and the myelitis started around 2001. I did not work full time with pesticides untill after this time. The myelitis was caused by a virus that settled in my spinal cord in a section of my neck and scared the cord, there is no cure or surgery to fix it. I am in physical therapy to try and help with my mobility, I can't lift my left arm above my head and my left foot flops on the ground when I walk. The funny thing is that this hobby has really helped me through this time. Even though my layout is small and very basic, I feel pretty good when I finish some scenery or whatever on it. I know there are a lot of people that have it a lot worse than I do, so I hope I am not sounding like I have the most horrible situation ever. Just wanted to let you know how this played out. On ward and upward I guess, taking it one day at a time for now. Probably will put some layout progress pics soon, let me know what you think.
Thanks
Scott

Back