Do you lke what you do for a living?

Very glad to hear that you got decent treatment from your employer, especially that he gave you the extension. Restores faith in human nature. Has been said that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, a bit of an overstatement, but in your case your attitude to your situation is a BIG plus. There are some terrible but very common viruses around that we live with every day, most without them doing any harm until they happen to get into somewhere they do real damage. Feel very humbled by your take on life, and yes, this or any hobby that can inspire is a blessing. Good luck from now on and will be watching for your updates.

As for me? I have been a pro musician for years. Right now I am the Music Director at !st Pres. in Warren MI. I also substitute teach (looking for mt own classroom) and sell models on the side.

Kyle

My current employer offers benefits to full timers not part-timers of which I am. Though, I worked for two employers which offered benefits to part-timers straight away. Two with what I was accused of from my last employer ...which I shall not go into, now it takes a lot for me to trust someone these days!

BCK RR

Hey guys,
...my manager put me on extended personal leave untill june. ...
Thanks
Scott

Scott, that was great what your employer did!

Let me tell you what happened to me when I had that blood clot, I mentioned in my first couple of posts in this thread. I had been using personal time and sick leave to cover a minor surgery I needed on my foot. When I had that clot, the Hospital's benefit office put me on a 3 month medical leave at that point. That was in Sept. At the end of the month, my DON, director of Nursing, called me at home, and stated that unless I was back at work within 3 days, I was to quit, or she would fire me. I refused, stated that I was still on medical leave and it was to run up to the end of Nov. I did tell her I had been pushing my DR to let me return to work but he wasn't ready at the time. I did return to work 2 weeks later.

The next day, after she called me, my wife and I was in the benefits office and told them what my DON said. They said that if this was true, she was in violation of at least several state and federal labor laws, and if I wanted to I could file a complaint and sue. Knowing that that wouldn't look good on my personnel file for future employment, I declined to sue, but did file a complaint. The outcome was she was reprimanded formally by the hospital's administration, had to publicly apologize, and was barred from taking any reprisal against me for 5 years. Seems she had done this several times before, with other employee's, and after a 6 month investigation into her past firings, she was "asked" to resign or would be fired, the same thing she tried to get me to do. I then was able to finish my last 2 years before I could retire with full pension, although my health prevented me from actually doing the job I loved. I finished up as a computer geek in administration, running the computers for the dept.

This just shows that you need to really become familiar with your employee handbook, and know about any avenues available to you for the protection of your job. It sure did help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
...The next day, after she called me, my wife and I was in the benefits office and told them what my DON said. They said that if this was true, she was in violation of at least several state and federal labor laws, and if I wanted to I could file a complaint and sue. Knowing that that wouldn't look good on my personnel file for future employment, I declined to sue, but did file a complaint. The outcome was she was reprimanded formally by the hospital's administration, had to publicly apologize, and was barred from taking any reprisal against me for 5 years. Seems she had done this several times before, with other employee's, and after a 6 month investigation into her past firings, she was "asked" to resign or would be fired, the same thing she tried to get me to do. I then was able to finish my last 2 years before I could retire with full pension...

This just shows that you need to really become familiar with your employee handbook, and know about any avenues available to you for the protection of your job. It sure did help me out.
Very true. And it's also good that your employer's HR Dept seems to have had a culture of ethical management -- that's not always a sure thing, either...

No, I don't think so.

For years the Dept of Surgery there was it own little fiefdom, ran by the Chief of Surgery and the Director of Nursing. They were actually the two most powerful people in the Hospital for years. I had been told that for years before I started there, that if one or the other didn't like you, they fired you. I had little to no contact with the COS during my years there, so this was all the DON's doing. I had spent my first 5 years there working in the CVOR, (Heart suite), before moving to the General OR.

The COS retired about 6 months before this happened, and one of my best MD friends, (Who was Chief of Orthopedics) became COS. Talking privately to him afterwards, he said he didn't know anything about it, but having seen her in action in the past, wasn't surprised. Seems that she, according to him, especially hated anyone who had "bettered" themselves in their profession, by getting higher degrees, and certifications, which entitled them to more money than the base salary. At the time I was one of only 22 RN's in the state that had all certifications in my specialty, plus was only one semester away from my Master's. (Which I could never finish due to my health). Plus she had failed the tests to get her basic certification, so she hated anyone who had it and took it out on these folks. That was also another thing that 6 month investigation showed, that 95% of the people she had fired, in a ten year time period, was certified in one way, shape, or form, or had a higher degree than she did.

Sad thing was she was a very smart administrator, and if she hadn't had been so jealous of others, she could have finished her career there, on her own terms, instead of it ending the way it did.

Carey,
At least you stood your ground and did not ruin your self by doing so. It is nice to hear that we get to win sometimes. I am glad that in the long run it worked out for you. I hope you are feeling better these days, I know health issues can really take a toll on us. I also hope that retirement is treating you well.

Take care
Scott

I am incredibly blessed to be in a successful little aviation business with my husband, where I get to fly charters, flight instruct, and do all the "Sky Queen" things I so love. And, I get to look down on railroad activities and see real trains looking like Z scale!
Diane

Machinist/Toolmaker here. Love/Hate relationship with my job. About a 75/25 split. And a comment for Cjcrescent- Even though you may not be able to do the job anymore, whats stops you from getting that Masters?

Back