Do you buy locos with ease of DCC install in mind?

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
I was looking to buy a few n scale locos. After reading about DCC install on the locos at
http://www.trainweb.org/nrmrc/dcc/conversions.html
I had second thoughts on buying the models that seamed more "difficult". One of the locos in particular was the UP heritage locos from Kato. For my n scale layout I'm only planning on having 5 or 6 locos but I do want to run DCC. I'm not the most gracious person when dealing with small parts.

Does the amount of work steer any of you guys away from purchasing a model?

I'm in HO, but I never worry about if a standard decoder will fit or how much work it may be. Most newer units without a built in plug will require about the same amount of installation and if it is a small switcher, I can install an N scale decoder rated for the amps. Sound can be a different matter, but I have found that there is usually a place for a speaker using a little bit of cut and file engineering. I would guess this is all up to the individual and how much effort/time he wants to put into it (and how much he wants that model :D).

not really, but i'm n HO as well. had I been into N, i'd definetly would consider simplifying things

I model N and HO both with DCC. N scale is a lot harder to install decoders if you have to hard wire them. It usually involves machining the frames. However, with a lot of the newer Kato and Atlas locos, various companies make drop in decoders for them.

I'm an HO guy, and I don't care because almost every locomotive can be wired up for DCC whether it is ready or not.

As for N scale, I would imagine that it would be a pain to mill the frame every time you need to install a decoder for a model that doesn't have a drop-in circuit board.

Yeah- I looking to buy N scale.

I look at the photos in the instruction guides to install the decoders and see the lines in the finger prints on the fingers of those installing the decoder. Small. I've soldered pipe fittings, electrical wires, car stereo wiring, etc... I worries me to see the photos with the people handling the decoders with tweezers. I guess it's not too bad because people seem to do it all the time.

Back