dirty wheels from soldered track joints?

n1vets333

I have noticed that on my current n scale layout in progress I am finding myself cleaning the wheels of my engines very frequently and then I remebered that this is my first time soldering track joints. I have read that this is common practice, the track seams to be clean so I cant figure out what else the reason could be. Is there a certain solder to use? What is the best method to solder. Could someone give me a link with visuals or instructions? Thank you.
Stevin

Standard solder from radio shack should do. Place your solder iron low on the rail and apply just a small bit of solder. I leave the joiners on and place the iron on them. The solder shouldn't make it to the top of the rail. When done, use a clean cloth with alcohol to clean the track.

I use a very thin solder that I buy at Rad Shack that works real well on any kind of solder job. If you know anyone that works for the phone co. or does any kind of electronic work U can probably get some from them for nothing.
Try to stay away from any kind of flux when soldering because it leaves a residue that your wheels pick up.

Larry

It is possible that leftover flux can be getting on the wheels. A lot of the newer solders have flux that, although not as strong, basically leave no residue.

Next time I'm in the shop at work I'll look up what it is called.

Mark

You're right it's called flux.
Flux is necessary to clean the connection so that the solder can bond with the metal. Just use alcohol to clean it off.

thank you, after looking at the name it says flux, I guess I will have to clean with alcohol and for now on buy solder without flux.

No. You always want to buy solder with a flux core. It's necesary for the solder to bond correctly. The residue is easily cleaned off.

solder without flux will not bond well as the flux cleans the oxidized surfaces. and rosin flux will leave a sticky residue. alcohol will clean it up, but most folks just smear it around instead of removing it. use isopropyl alcohol on a clean rag, then follow that with a dry rag to remove the alcohol while it is still wet. Don't just let the alcohol evaporate, as it will just leave the flux behind.

Ken is right, always use solder with flux core. Main thing it will help the solder flow into the joint and not just stay at the point of contact. Cleaning is easy as the flux always comes to the top. You shouldn't have much if any on the top of the rail.

For your dirty wheels:
1. Do you have a lot of plastic wheels on rolling stock? There is some controversy about this, but I'm one that believes they will dirty a track quicker than metal.
2. Have you changed the type of track cleaner? Some will leave a residue.
3. What else is different or may have changed? Environment?
4. Check your rolling stock for dirty wheels. They could be the source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hers my theory on plastic wheels: They create static electricity from rolling on the surface and will attract dust particles to the rails. Then once ran over, they will collect in their own accumulative state in multitudes. They are kinda like dust bunnies and the energizer rabbit mixed together.:cool:

Back