direct current wiring dead spot

F

f1_indy2000

I have a question on wiring sections. I have attached a picture of where my problem is so I will try to explain it the best i can. I cleaned the track before I started testing it so i know thats not it. So, the three tracks to the left of the parked cars don't work, well one track works. The one that works is to the furthest left. I was hoping to wire all three sets of track together to make one section, but when I did my run through test the engine just stopped. I kind of wonder if the switch has anything to do with it? I put the insulators just before the switch and I have insulators at the end of each set of track. I soddered the wire on the track that works, but I would think if I had created a section the wire should run the current everywhere in that block(between insulators)? So if this makes sense does anyone know where I went wrong? Thanks

Do you have insulators on one rail or two on the sidings? If you only have insulators on one rail on the sidings, one or both of the turnouts are not conducting electricity. Do you have meter to check resistance and/or voltage?

Could you post a picture taken from the right side of your sidings? I suspect you have those sidings in a reverse loop, which is another wiring problem.

Glenn

Your turnouts are power routing, I guess, and the very first one encountered on that series of tracks, after leaving the main, won't route power to the others unless it is lined to let the train run that way. Otherwise, you have a problem with the point rail(s) not getting power when set for the route to those three troublesome tracks.

You may have to leave gaps at the exits to the first two turnouts, and then hard-wire each leg beyond the frogs with feeders. The gaps will prevent any shorting on the turnouts, but the sections of track will still be powered by the feeders and will let you move a loco back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is that section that doesn't work. The stretch of track where the engine is works, but on the left side of the turnout where the boxcars are doesn't. I also do not have anything to check the voltage. My dad does, but he isn't coming up this way until next week.

What turnouts are you using?

Have you tried soldering the rail joiners from the turnout towards the end of siding?

Do you have a 12V light bulb with 2 leads on it? If you do, turn up the track voltage and use the light bulb to determine exactly where the current dies.

Glenn

Not sure if I understand you on the turnouts? All of mine are Atlas and this particular switch is a #4. I have come to the conclussion that I'm not very good a sodering or just need a little more practice and fear sodering the rail joiners might be a disaster. Is it easier than I think? I will try the 12V light bulb with 2 leads on it. Thanks

I think the Atlas HO turnouts are the same design as the old N scale ones. They have a rivet that holds the points. If you find the turnout is not conducting the current, take it up so you can turn it over. Find the rivet in the rail that is not conducting. Take a small pin punch and a hammer and hit the rivet to tighten it up. Don't it the rivet too hard because if you over tighten it, the turnout will not throw.

The alternative is it drop a feeder pass the turnout.

Glenn Samuel

Indy, a simple tool to help you find the problem is a short jumper wire with alligator clips on each end. Put a Loco on the bad track and attach the jumper to the rail on the side of the turnout you have power on and then with the other end, start working your way toward the loco touching the same side/rail at different points, joints, gaps, and etc. If nothing changes, do the other rail side and you should find the problem.

I agree with Glenn about he rivet. I have had several with this problem. First isolate the problem and if it looks like it is in the area of the rivets, follow Glenn's advice.;)

Back