Digitally Controlled Power Track Controller for American Flyer Postwar train set? Is there some way to do this?

BobN2Tech

I am in the process of restoring a 1954 470 series train set. I have the original AC Power variable voltage transformer (#4B), but wanted to get into the modern era and have a way to at least control the voltage on the track with a digital communication interface (RS-232 or USB). I've read about DCC, but these all seem to be DC based. I was looking at the Lionel TMCC TPC 300/400 and their Powermaster, but can't quite figure out how I could hook a computer to the Comm terminal (if at all) and the protocol. Is there any known AC 100w+ power units that have a serial interface or (bluetooth) that can change the power output (vary the voltage)? Basically, a variac with digital control if one is made. Ultimately, I would like to create a control panel on a PC to control the speed of the train, and have sensors on sections of the track to provide position information of the train to control it. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Inter
I am in the process of restoring a 1954 470 series train set. I have the original AC Power variable voltage transformer (#4B), but wanted to get into the modern era and have a way to at least control the voltage on the track with a digital communication interface (RS-232 or USB). I've read about DCC, but these all seem to be DC based. I was looking at the Lionel TMCC TPC 300/400 and their Powermaster, but can't quite figure out how I could hook a computer to the Comm terminal (if at all) and the protocol. Is there any known AC 100w+ power units that have a serial interface or (bluetooth) that can change the power output (vary the voltage)? Basically, a variac with digital control if one is made. Ultimately, I would like to create a control panel on a PC to control the speed of the train, and have sensors on sections of the track to provide position information of the train to control it. Any help in this area would be appreciated.
Interesting idea, It's way beyond what I can do, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that may be able to assist you, either way, I hope you get it to work for you.

There are all sorts of digital systems for dimming lights out there. Would that not be the same as your variac? Just guessing, but I don't think the units would care if it is straight resistance ohm load vs a inductance ohm load.

Likewise for the sensors on sections of track. Many of the current DCC block occupancy detectors detect current flowing through a wire. Don't know why that wouldn't detect AC current just as well as DC or DCC current.

As you pointed out, Lionel certainly has all this figured out for their AC trains. Why don't you just drop them a note and ask them how/if one of their systems (I think they have at least 3 by now) interfaces to a computer. Just a quick search and I am finding all kinds of Lionel Legacy system information and videos. Here is one that says how to interface TMCC with JMRI (no I did not watch it). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqvi93Gr9H8

Last edited:
Thank you Iron Horseman. I did view the video and I did not know about JMRI, but was interesting. I since have ordered the TMCC TPC 400 and the TMCC ASC to use for devices (lights, couplers, etc). I was told by Lionel engineer support that I can indeed connect a computer to directly to the DAT & COMM terminal of the PTC (without the need for the Command base or CAB-1 remote) but using the same commands shown in The complete guide to command control manual (page 38), I should be able to send the same commands to control the power to the track and turn on/off devices (with the ASC). I have not received it to try it out yet. I also looked at the M.T.H. DCS and it looks like another solution, but only for control by an APP. I did not see any PC computer control. As far as the sensors, I bought a bunch of AF #696 track trip switches and can use these as away to detect the train position and do some action. My ultimate goal is to hook up an Ariduino small computer board, program it with various ways to stop at a station for a period of time, then start moving along the track, play some sounds, do some lights. I will have a way to select the program to run (like from a keypad 1-9). Still working out the details on that. I always like to see what others have done to generate more ideas, but of course still limited to using the conventional track power control and none of the Lionel Command controls to individual locomotives.

Back