Diesel Tsunami

Oh, I knew about it, I wanted to keep it a secret so I could afford to order at least one before it sells out!

Geez, Rex, did you have to tell me about this? I've been perfectly happy with my QSI sound decoders and now I just have to order one for comparison. Another $100 bucks shot! :)

Jim, I know the feeling. I'm sitting here stirring in my seat wanting to put in an order. I have thought about pulling the QSI out of one just to see the results. (Or, we could go to the National for a demonstration. :D)

so this decoder has a speaker installed into that tiny pack? or is it like other sound decoders with a seperate speaker?

Steve, you have to install a speaker and make connections for the wires either by plug or hardwire;). I have three steam Tsunami's installed and they are excellent in both sound quality and motor control. There are an unbelieveable number of CV adjustments to choose from to make this happen. The diesels are suppose to be of the same quality with the only major difference being the type of sounds and their controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, and what about Baldwin? :) Seriously, I thought it was kind of odd that they would pick ALCO as their second choice rather than GE. It may be my old memory playing tricks on me but I think GE's up through the U36 line sounded an awful lot like ALCO's anyway. Still, there are a lot of modern GE modelers and it seems like a GE sound decoder would make sense. Maybe that's next on the list.

I hope GE is next, I have 40 Dash 9's & AC4400's that need decoders, and I'll be installing the Summit Custom Cuts speaker enclosure, partially for the aesthetics of hiding the hole under the grills when I add the Detail Associates see-through grills, but adding sound will be easier then.

I hope GE is next, I have 40 Dash 9's & AC4400's that need decoders, and I'll be installing the Summit Custom Cuts speaker enclosure, partially for the aesthetics of hiding the hole under the grills when I add the Detail Associates see-through grills, but adding sound will be easier then.

I agree. I want to pickup 5 more u34ch's from atlas but i want the good old ge chug chug chug chug these things used to put out. I dont want quiet ge of today.

eventually I'm gonna need some GE sounds too... the whine of an E-60 or E-33 hauling the mail...

Ha, no GE sounds, but everyone was making such a big deal about this decoder, when the cost of it isnt justifiable, as for the same price, you can get a good loco, or a set of Athearns/Kato's new well cars.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you love sound in your locos...it is justifiable, as the quality and realism of the Tsunami is awesome. ;)

Shoot, I remember when regular decoders were $65 or $70 so a Tsunami at $95 isn't such a bad deal. I'm sure that price will come down once it's in production. I haven't head the diesel decoder yet but, if they are as nice as the steam Tsumani, it will be worth every penny. You just have to hear one of these things in person compared to really good sound decoders like QSI. I'm half deaf and the Tsunami is still markedly better than any other steam decoder I ever heard.

I've got sound in quite a few locos, a few T55's, a Ac6000, some sd70's, but I cant justify $100 for a sound decoder. Thats rediculous. And one that doesnt have the correct sounds you need for it.
Look at the BLI blueline ac6000, comes with sound, and can be bought from factory direct for $119.99. So for about the same price as your paying for that decoder, I get an engine with sound.

I've got sound in quite a few locos, a few T55's, a Ac6000, some sd70's, but I cant justify $100 for a sound decoder. Thats rediculous. And one that doesnt have the correct sounds you need for it.
Look at the BLI blueline ac6000, comes with sound, and can be bought from factory direct for $119.99. So for about the same price as your paying for that decoder, I get an engine with sound.
But I bet it sounds like crap compared to the Tsunami's... ;)

Back