Decoder for HO Athearn RTR Amtrak P42 Locomotive

esales

Coach Cleaner
I was wondering if anyone know's what kind of Digitrax decoder I should get for a HO Athearn RTR Amtrak P42 Locomotive ?

i have the same loco.

digitrax told me the DH165AO and a SPX4 soundbug for sound. Cost around $70. I havent purchased yet.
also considering the soundtraxx 1000 710 but i think that may be alittle too prototypical/expensive for my modeling.
Ive only glanced at the directions in the loco box. it seems to have the genesis drive w/o being a genesis loco. also, i think it takes a 8 or 9 pin decoder.

let me know what they tell you.

If you don't need sound a DH123D should plug into the 9 pin JST plug on the athearn board. This will get you going for under 20 bucks. You could also use a TCS 1021 T1 for even less.

That is correct Ryan. But all Amtrak engines have flashing ditchlights. So he should purchase a DH163 series decoder.

good thread. I have 3 RTR amd103's right now. But also have 4 RTR athearn motors with quick plug board/light board that will be going into 2 old BB units.

oh ok thanks. From what i can tell on their site, the 165s all look like replacement board type decoders vs. plug ins with the 9 pin adapter. anyone know anything about that?

ive found out thru tony's train exch that QSI makes a decoder that seems to be sound adaptable for this loco, as well as Soundtraxx. Both are pricey and the Soundtraxx requires a programmer too.

Ok, so I got home today and was able to look at the p42 a little closer.

It will take an 8 or 9 pin decoder although any 8 pin decoder will have to be soldered. for the 9 pin you just pull out the jumper board and plug in the 9 pin decoder. it will also take a complete replacement board too like the 165s from digitrax.

The decoders I have been able to match to it are the 165 ao series from digitrax and a FX4 soundbug for sound, or a higher end type decoder like the universal QSI or the Soundtraxx Tsunami. The last two are a bit more expensive and the Soundtraxx requires a programmer but you can order more prototypical sound than the generic sounds in the digitrax.

Ill prob go with the digitrax.

Well. You should get a 165AO and FX4 soundbug decoder, if you need, I'll make a custom SPJ file so you can download proper P42DC sounds to it unlike all of the Soundtraxx and QSI units that do not simulate HEP running. All you'd need is SoundLoader and a PR3.

Although not Digitrax, you might want to look into the custom Loksound file available at Ulrich Models. I had some custom sounds compiled for a Loksoud decoder for my two Athearn/Walthers P42s and they used this to make a custom sound file for P42s. When choosing a Loksoud sound file, go down to the Ulrich Custom Files section and choose the "Amtrak P42" file. It has a great K5LA, bell, GE chug sounds, and the distinctive "whoop" compressor start up.

They also have custom made 9pin Loksound decoders. Perfect for the new Athearn DCC ready P42s. All you have to do is plug it in and go. The headlights end up a little dim, as I think the Athearn light board + Loksoud decoder reduces the bulb voltage too much. But I don't really care since I'm eventually replacing mine with LEDs which likely means rewiring most of it.

I'd also recommend a bass reflex speaker. I got two from RailMaster Hobbies. The sound improvement over the stock Loksound speaker was incredible. They don't fit in every loco though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why I was told by georgestrains to remove the fake jumper, looks like a eight pin socket, so it will not fry my Athearn P42DC VIA Rail 916?

Help with Atearn P42

I have recently installed one of the "TCS T1" with a Limited Edition Athearn Collectibles P42 Genesis VIA RAIL #916.
(P42DVIA.jpg) - Please see attachment

attachment.php

However I was advised to remove something or rather takeoff a "fake jumper" after I install the "TCS T1" or else I fry the board.
I was not sure what the Retail Store was telling me, because I live like 50 km's away from the local retail store.
Factory Installed picture, no changes made yet
(Harness Athearn.JPG) - Please see attachment

attachment.php

I have attached a picture of the default DCC board that is currently hooked into my P42, I didn't see a fake jumper but this is the closest thing, I think the retail store was refering.

attachment.php

It has a red rectangle around it, so I can make it easier to be seen.
(8Hole.JPG) - Please see attachment

This link here:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Athearn/P42/P42.html

Does not show the (eight hole.jpg) - Please see attachment there.

attachment.php

Is this what the store is refering too? If I remove that (eight hole.jp) will it prevent my engine from frying after I put in the "TCS T1" or I do no thave to remove anything at all?

Regards,

Promagstyle

Back