Dave's Layout v. 4.0

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

logandsawman

This is going to be a great build !
Thanks, Gary

Here I got the control panel off, taking a photo because that way I won't have to think very hard when I hook it back up. The tracks are already wired with jumpers, for 4 sections

IMG_1876.JPG

This is part of the Wyoming module. After removing the buildings and whatever is not attached, I slid it in its place on the back of the layout. I started moving stuff on to see how it looks.

IMG_1877.JPG

For me, this is coming up to the funnest part of the whole hobby, which is putting in scenery, laying track, making roads, and background.

Thanks for Looking!! And your comments and likes...

Dave LASM

logandsawman

Dave looks like all your preplanning is starting to payoff. I see you went with the 48" higher than normal height for layouts. Why 48" and not just go to 5'? Eye height?
George
Hi George,

Thanks for commenting, the 48" height was supposed to line up with the window on one of the walls. Also, I wanted to be able to tinker relatively easy with the scenery and trains.

In addition, I read somewhere that the "Recommended" maximum height be 48" (Funny I would remember this but not where I read it).

As it turns out, it is a good height both for working above and under the layout.

A fascia or skirt will cover the underside, I think.

Dave LASM

Topherisme

Chris wants more hobby time!!!
Hi George,

Thanks for commenting, the 48" height was supposed to line up with the window on one of the walls. Also, I wanted to be able to tinker relatively easy with the scenery and trains.

In addition, I read somewhere that the "Recommended" maximum height be 48" (Funny I would remember this but not where I read it).

As it turns out, it is a good height both for working above and under the layout.

A fascia or skirt will cover the underside, I think.

Dave LASM
I went with a 36” table height contemplating the idea of coming back later with a second level…. Don’t think that will happen, wish I would have made it even just a smidge taller, under table working is kind of a pain, you definitely made the right choice IMO

logandsawman

I went with a 36” table height contemplating the idea of coming back later with a second level…. Don’t think that will happen, wish I would have made it even just a smidge taller, under table working is kind of a pain, you definitely made the right choice IMO

The first time I crawled under this table my thought was "This is nice". I had forgotten what a pain in the butt it was with the old layout. This is what I call an unexpected outcome.

Thanks for commenting!

Dave

logandsawman

The last couple nights I got a little done under the layout, I have one support need to add these for multi directional stability, I am screwing these pieces in, using the Elmers wood glue to make it rigid

IMG_1890.JPG

You can see, the lumber is all different sizes. I have a big assortment of scraps from another project I wanted to use up here.

I have the long support built in to the legs, these short ones at 90 degrees to the long one should make it stiff.
First I fill in some of the space under the waferboard, then screwed in the waferboard support.

IMG_1897.JPG

This new piece really steadied up the leg. Will do this all the way around.

Thanks for looking

Dave LASM

logandsawman

Thanks for viewing and the comments! I got a ton of stuff done today, that will be it for the week, however.

IMG_1904.JPG

Here is the workbench and the layout

IMG_1905.JPG

Here is the cutout for the closet door. It is excellent that there will be a through route which will not be affected by the lift out.

IMG_1906.JPG

Above is the entrance door and duck under area, also shows this wall with the window. The edges will eventually be filled in with something.

Here is the view standing at the entry door. The modules are screwed in at their final grade. In between I will be going up and down.

Pooped out from going in and out of the house about 20 times, I did 90 percent of the cutting outside, however had to saw the cut out, I made a tent of 1 mil poly. I was able to keep the room relatively clear of dust.

Thanks for looking, Dave LASM
IMG_1907.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.