Dave's Layout v. 4.0

Thanks for commenting, Kleiner, Curt; thinking about trying polyurethane varnish for the water rather than the envirotech that I used last time

I have a small pond I will be experimenting with... still have to get the colors right, need to add some "deep faded green" and maybe use a sponge or cotton swab for application, there will also be some rocks that go in there... we'll see

Dave

Good luck with the water! I'm leaning toward using an acrylic medium. Supposedly, it dries clear, and is water soluble. I'd be worried about the polyurethane turning yellow over time. But then... water has some yellow tint, so maybe it wouldn't be bad if it did.

Good luck with the water! I'm leaning toward using an acrylic medium. Supposedly, it dries clear, and is water soluble. I'd be worried about the polyurethane turning yellow over time. But then... water has some yellow tint, so maybe it wouldn't be bad if it did.
I thought about the time factor, I will be experimenting with the same stuff I coated our living room table with, would take numerous coats and yellowing of the blues and green hue of the painted substrate may not be noticable,

we'll see. Maybe I will watch some more youtube videos. I have seen them where the famous modeler was no better than just about everyone here. Had some big following but the content was not that great.

Dave LASM

I'm going to be pouring a river on my layout at some point this Fall when the weather forces me inside. A couple of people on another forum highly recommend the acrylic gloss medium for water. It's basically acrylic paint with no tint. As a liquid, it is milky white, but it dries clear. Or so they say.

Acrylic gloss medium, I googled the difference with that and polyurethane and find that mine (poly) may yellow, but it will be stronger.

Not sure when I will be inspired to put the finish down, will finish the paint prep and go from there... I have no hard and fast rules with this so will continue to gather information in the meantime.

THANKS for the comment, Jeff!

Thread has not been updated lately, only completed a small area of landscaping (was bugging my wife, she had to point it out) it is kind of a backside but shows up enough:

Before:

IMG_2663.JPG

There is screen under some of this, but had to add some paper towels and cardboard, then brushed on the white glue water mix and would hold the paper bowl under while sprinkling on the dry sand

The sloped areas can be a problem, but I used some foliage product from WC to get the steep area:

IMG_2674.JPG

There are a couple of rough areas in the track here, but surprisingly do not get any derails here

I also installed some lights, I have one for each area of buildings (5), so far have two in place:

IMG_2675.JPG

These came from China and I really like them cause they are high enough and they are pretty nondescript as far as the era goes.

This is what they look like in the package:

IMG_2665.JPG

These were not expensive, I think $12 for the whole bunch (5) and includes resistors.

I ordered water last week, too, so can get the St. Croix finished.

THANKS for looking, leave a comment

Dave LASM

Love the lighting - really helps the layout come alive! I bought a similar set of street lights from eBay and they work great. The only nuisance is that you have to be super careful in threading the wires under the layout.
Thanks, Kleiner; these lights came with a two part feeder wires with tiny plugs for connecting. Made the under the bench work pretty much of a snap as I could connect one end to my accessory feeder bus then just plug it into the wires that came down from the lamp post.

Honestly, I was surprised at how well these worked considering the price.

For my DC power pack I used an old computer charger, at least I think it is. When I unplugged it from the wall, the lights stayed on a good 15 seconds and gradually faded out. Imagine my expression when the unplugged light stayed on!!! Then, I realized it is the built in protection for electronics to overcome any brief power outs.

All the small details like the liting is something I’ve always had a hard time with. Have you ever given any thought to painting a backdrop on the walls?

All the small details like the liting is something I’ve always had a hard time with. Have you ever given any thought to painting a backdrop on the walls?

There will be some clouds probably, also considering putting some flat structure fronts by the Wyoming depot. The blue color is supposed to be the sky, but you probably noticed the texture on the walls, not sure how I will proceed.

I know I for sure will not be purchasing a pre made backdrop.

I seem to go in fits and starts, also have so much stuff I purchased while living in an apartment I will put something on my work bench then gradually incorporate it. Still have 3 other lights to place, then can cross that project off!

Thanks for commenting, Lynnb!

There will be some clouds probably, also considering putting some flat structure fronts by the Wyoming depot. The blue color is supposed to be the sky, but you probably noticed the texture on the walls, not sure how I will proceed.

I know I for sure will not be purchasing a pre made backdrop.

I seem to go in fits and starts, also have so much stuff I purchased while living in an apartment I will put something on my work bench then gradually incorporate it. Still have 3 other lights to place, then can cross that project off!

Thanks for commenting, Lynnb!
I use to be terrified about painting a backdrop and then I met Chris Lyon online and became friends and even travelled to Ottawa to go out on a backdrop painting mission and to this day both my rooms that house my layout have painted backdrops, I do have to touch up some of the conifers a bit but otherwise it looks good. I think this link will work https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooCgu3lwlGd6HjZBG-rfJ-DxTwc5Kvnp
Heres another https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooCgu3lwlGeRtYf1uHUph8gzKJ9pAXEm

I use to be terrified about painting a backdrop and then I met Chris Lyon online and became friends and even travelled to Ottawa to go out on a backdrop painting mission and to this day both my rooms that house my layout have painted backdrops, I do have to touch up some of the conifers a bit but otherwise it looks good. I think this link will work https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooCgu3lwlGd6HjZBG-rfJ-DxTwc5Kvnp
Heres another https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooCgu3lwlGeRtYf1uHUph8gzKJ9pAXEm

WOW that is a lot of material, not sure I want to get into anything like that until more of my layout is done. Thanks for posting the links, however, I know where to look now when I need a resource!

I am still working full time so have to be careful what projects I undertake, without being overwhelmed.

Dave LASM

Love the lighting - really helps the layout come alive! I bought a similar set of street lights from eBay and they work great. The only nuisance is that you have to be super careful in threading the wires under the layout.
Yes, the wires are a little thin, I usually solder some thicker wire on the ends, makes it easier to get a good connection in the blocks too.

Yes, the wires are a little thin, I usually solder some thicker wire on the ends, makes it easier to get a good connection in the blocks too.
Thats a great idea, Smudge!

You may be surprised but I do not own a soldering gun. Nothing soldered on my layout. Wrap wires around a couple times and seal with some expensive electric tape which stretches real well and grabs like a crab. When I tore down the old layout these were hard to take apart.

These lights came with 2 part wires and a plug connector, so the wire to the feeder is easily connected without being attached to the lamp, then plugged into the lamp.

Those really skinny wires I sometimes use the razor blade to sever the insulating sheath, often use my teeth (big no no but thats how I do it) to strip it off. I have a stripper/cutter tool sometimes works on 20 ga or 22 ga wire.

Thats a great idea, Smudge!

You may be surprised but I do not own a soldering gun. Nothing soldered on my layout. Wrap wires around a couple times and seal with some expensive electric tape which stretches real well and grabs like a crab. When I tore down the old layout these were hard to take apart.

These lights came with 2 part wires and a plug connector, so the wire to the feeder is easily connected without being attached to the lamp, then plugged into the lamp.

Those really skinny wires I sometimes use the razor blade to sever the insulating sheath, often use my teeth (big no no but thats how I do it) to strip it off. I have a stripper/cutter tool sometimes works on 20 ga or 22 ga wire.
Ah! They are a different type to the ones I get, mine are 3 wires, 2 with pre soldered resistors and 1 earth, the hole I drill is just large enough to let the resistor through which is also the same size as the base of the lamp.

Back