Cutting Foam

i use an exacto knife, and its sharp!
however if youll be doing alot of cutting foam, there are heated wires and heated knife things that cut with much more ease

Steak knives! They work well, cut fast, and are cheap. You can steal a couple from the kitchen and never be caught. :)

Bread knives, steak knives, hot wire cutters (beware as the fumes are toxic, or so they say), wire brushes, rotating wire brushes (clamp 'em in the chuck of your drill - I use a hand crank drill since an electric drill flings foam everywhere), Surform planes, coarse grit sandpaper, utility knives...

You can use virtually anything you can think of to cut and shape foam. The main issues are fumes if you melt the stuff and little bits of static-cling foam - on the wall, on your clothes, on the carpet, on the dog...

I used most of the previously mentioned tools. I also used an electric carving knife, it worked quite well but got a bit hot on long runs. Had to but a new one for Thanks Giving.
Against advice from many on this sight, I used white foam, because that's all that was available at the time, it didn't create too much of a hassle as long as I kept my dust buster close at hand and fully charged.
Good luck.
Mac

I think that depends on what he's trying to do - straight cut, curve, contours, texture, "ditches", etc. Maybe I misunderstood the OP.

Thought of one more - a drywall saw. I have one that has a tapered 6-in long blade on a wooden handle with coarse teeth. They're used for cut outs for junction boxes, etc.

You might want to try different things on some foam scraps so you can see the difference in cuts, textures, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a jigsaw, a kitchen knife (still hearing it about that one), and i used a wire cutter. the wire cutter worked really well but things always seemed a little floaty after an hour of cutting. Guess I shoulda ventilated better.

I thought the wire cutter was good but the wire kept breaking. Next time I have to do a lot of foam cutting I think i will get one of the heated knives for the purpose just because it wouldn't break so often.

A serrated steak knife or bread knife works well on foam -- much better than an Xacto knife or utility knife when you are working on 2-inch foam.

For making foam risers from 2-inch foam, I first use a table saw to cut long pieces of foam that are a little wider than my roadbed. Then I use a miter saw to cut the long pieces into individual risers. I set the angle on the miter saw to match the grade I'm working on at the time.

The pink chunks of foam in the picture below are the risers I'm talking about.

- Jeff

grades700.jpg

For cutting a canal in 2" thick foam I used the item below that I found at Lowe's for about 20.00. It has several tips and you don't have the mess associated with saw tools.

Larry

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Larry -

That is a neat tool. What is it called, and what department did you find it in? I can't quite read the label.

- Jeff

hacksaw blade here . worked oyt pretty good . then a small butane torch to conture the foam . looks like real rock after its done

Almost looks like a king hell woodburning pen. I'll have to see what my local Lowes / HD / Menards have...

That reminds me - somebody somewhere wrote that they took a cheap Radio Shack soldering gun, removed the heating element, and replaced it with a loop of solid copper wire that they beat down with a hammer into a U-shaped flat cutting tool, the flat part being at the bottom of the U.

Ditto on the fumes warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a dry-wall saw, a sureform tool, a large wood rasp, & a utility knife...oh & most important of all...a good shop vac!

Yes, a good shop vac. I can't believe it's not been mentioned till now. I do as much cutting outside as I can and that helps keep the mess out of everything in the house. It's not too bad since I'm only working on modules and not a built-in layout.
Dave

Another thing to add besides a shopvac is a bounce sheet from the laundry room. Keeps the little bits of styrofoam from getting all staticy.

Larry -

That is a neat tool. What is it called, and what department did you find it in? I can't quite read the label.

- Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The hot knife is a Weller TB 100 that I purchased as Lowe's. The canal should have never have been 2" deep. I ended up having to fill much of the cut out area to get it up to about 3/4" in depth.

Larry

undertable switch

Has anyone attempted to countersink an atlas undertable switch in the foam? I am going to attempt it and am just curious if anyone has had success/failure with it. I will worry about camoflauging it later.

Thanks!
Ron

Back