Custom Paint Work

TMLW

Thunder Mt. Loco Works
I thought I would share some of the custom painted work I have done over the last 2 years. I have been working to make all of the Weyerhauser and Columbia & Cowlitz locomotives that ran in Longview, WA. I have also modeled other railroads in and around the PNW. One of my next projects will be the Grand Canyon Alcos. I also do custom work for others.

Let me know what you guys think.

Here is my website where i post the rest of my work. www.pbase.com/pnwr1853/tmlw

Very nice work! An interesting and not well known subject. (Always liked Weyerhauser...)

Very nice work. What is the story behind the Tillamock Bay unit paint? Is it supposed to represent camouflage, a cow, or what?

Very nice work. What is the story behind the Tillamock Bay unit paint? Is it supposed to represent camouflage, a cow, or what?

It is an actual unit. Tillamook is known for their cheese factory so they painted a unit up as a cow. Or so i understand it.

Jeff, that makes sense. I've been in the area and they do have lots of black on white cows that are very distinctive. I'll bet that's the one and only locomotive painted in a cow scheme. :)

I knew you'd find a picture, Josh. :) From the looks of things, it appears #101 may have seen its' last days running on the Tillamook Bay.

Seeing as the line is shut down, that seems like a good guess! The nice thing about it being parked, was i was easily able to get measurements off of it as well as a lot of photos.

Love the Tillamook Cow.... on the WPRR unit, I think you began with an Atlas GP38, not GP38-2. I've made several of those "decal conversions" myself.

If you have a top shot, I'd like to see how you mounted the horn back with the radiator fans.

Love the Tillamook Cow.... on the WPRR unit, I think you began with an Atlas GP38, not GP38-2. I've made several of those "decal conversions" myself.

If you have a top shot, I'd like to see how you mounted the horn back with the radiator fans.

Thanks everyone! The Atlas model is not exactly correct, but it works for me. Even their new GP39-2 are not completely correct. To mount the horn, all i did was drill a small hole in the roof and glue it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't I know it - Atlas seems to have an aversion to doing anything with a standard anti-climber on it.

I've got 4 of the GP38/39-2s myself.

100_0742.jpg

I do need to get the numberboards done.

Very nice!! I am having PNWR decals made so i can do the 1853 and the 1851.

Back