CtcLibby Pix

Some more pix if I may. Somewhat hazy no matter what direction the camera was pointed - sorry for that!

Car Hauler on the siding coming into East Riverview
IMGP0812.JPG

Westbound into East Riverview
IMGP0816.JPG

Other end of the Westbound
IMGP0818.JPG

Nother Westbound into East Riverview
IMGP0819.JPG

Other end with the engine wrong direction
IMGP0822.JPG

Siding finally gets to go
IMGP0823.JPG

Beat her up to East Fisher River
IMGP0825.JPG

Eastbound I missed the head end at East Fisher River
IMGP0835.JPG

Wanted to go further East up the hill, but got hungry.

Later

Some more pix if I may. Somewhat hazy no matter what direction the camera was pointed - sorry for that!

Car Hauler on the siding coming into East Riverview
View attachment 174499

Westbound into East Riverview
View attachment 174500

Other end of the Westbound
View attachment 174501

Nother Westbound into East Riverview
View attachment 174502

Other end with the engine wrong direction
View attachment 174503

Siding finally gets to go
View attachment 174504

Beat her up to East Fisher River
View attachment 174505

Eastbound I missed the head end at East Fisher River
View attachment 174506

Wanted to go further East up the hill, but got hungry.

Later
Great pictures Todd. I forget sometimes about how beautiful a country we live in.

It looks like you see more trains in a day then I see live in 6 months.

Just went over your collection. Great shots and this past August was my first time train chasing Great Northern in Idaho and Washington around Cascade Tunnel. My "stay" for two nights was the little opening almost directly above West Portal by the creek. Really interesting to be standing inside the tunnel near west end and watching headlights which seem not to move, but feeling the quiet deep base of oncoming diesels. I was also searching for any signs of electrification. The only things i found were what looked like two catenary pull off poles with numbers D4 and D5 in aluminium still on them. They are on the curve at Scenic. Old concrete snow shed up on the old allingnement showed a whole bunch of three phase brackets though. Amazing considering their age.
20230803_224545-1.jpg
view from my perch at a west bound exiting the portal late in the evening, before turning in to sleep.

Just went over your collection. Great shots and this past August was my first time train chasing Great Northern in Idaho and Washington around Cascade Tunnel. My "stay" for two nights was the little opening almost directly above West Portal by the creek. Really interesting to be standing inside the tunnel near west end and watching headlights which seem not to move, but feeling the quiet deep base of oncoming diesels. I was also searching for any signs of electrification. The only things i found were what looked like two catenary pull off poles with numbers D4 and D5 in aluminium still on them. They are on the curve at Scenic. Old concrete snow shed up on the old allingnement showed a whole bunch of three phase brackets though. Amazing considering their age. View attachment 175190view from my perch at a west bound exiting the portal late in the evening, before turning in to sleep.
That is/was my favorite spot for *years*. Do not even know how many times I spent the night at the West Portal. I took a cot and slept across the tracks pretty much where break in the two fences you see are. Have a ton of chemical pix of this area - in time will get those scanned and can post more. Did you get to the East Portal? More good spots for train watching. Don't try and go in at the ventilation building. When WB, not far after you go over the hole, just where the two lane splits into two roads there is an access road to the right. Down that and you will see stuff.

EastPortal.jpg

Thanks Google for the pix!

Later

[edit] and I forgot - check out Skykomish as I think the 'Power' building is still there. No overhead wires or towers though.

That is/was my favorite spot for *years*. Do not even know how many times I spent the night at the West Portal. I took a cot and slept across the tracks pretty much where break in the two fences you see are. Have a ton of chemical pix of this area - in time will get those scanned and can post more. Did you get to the East Portal? More good spots for train watching. Don't try and go in at the ventilation building. When WB, not far after you go over the hole, just where the two lane splits into two roads there is an access road to the right. Down that and you will see stuff.

View attachment 175195

Thanks Google for the pix!

Later

[edit] and I forgot - check out Skykomish as I think the 'Power' building is still there. No overhead wires or towers though.
Yes i did stop by East Portal, did not hear anything and the doors were closed. I came in from the east, so Wenatche was obviously a stop. Best displayed GN steamer in Wenatche i think. I did drive to check out Skykomish that evening before settling on top of the portal for the night.
20230803_183322.jpg

Cute mascot, cuter than Chessie the cat. This eastbound eventually made its way toward the tunnel:
20230803_181940.jpg

Back