CtcLibby Pix

I forgot ... If an East Bound is to enter the tunnel from the West Portal, doors are closed until the movement gets 200 or 300 feet from the East Portal and they open the door while shutting down the fans. Anything outside of the East Portal that is light enough gets sucked into the hole from the vacuum. Fun stuff!
You can only see one fan of the two in this pix. They build that tall building just to get the new fan to the wanted location. I suspect there is also storage in the new portion.
Area.jpg

Geesh, have not posted here for awhile.

Eastbound headed toward West Libby:
View attachment 147696

Nother Eastbound almost to the station in The Fish:
View attachment 147697

Just onto the main at East Fisher River:
View attachment 147698

This one's location does not ring a bell. Not West Troy or Scenic; I say that because those two place have a tall hiway bridge somewhat like this one. Both of those have control points East of the bridge as this one is over the control point. Maybe I will find the location again and will then know!

View attachment 147701
Figured it out -- or remembered, YMMV. You are looking at West Naples, ID. Ima above because there is another vehicle bridge just east that allows pix like this one.

Couple more if I may:
West portal Cascade Tunnel. I suspect the first one is with the SFn1 and it focused on the smoke instead of the big orange thing. No time to regroup and get another - dang!
View attachment 147719
In fact, the above pix was just after they installed the 2nd fan ( East portal ). I happened to be up there for the first movement through. When the tunnel is clear of any smoke or trains you can see sunlight looking East from the West Portal ( up hill almost 8 miles away ). When a movement comes in the fan's are not running. After the whole train gets into the tunnel, they close the door on the East portal and turn the fans on. Headlight dis-appeared because of the smoke going by. Remember hearing the crew bitching on the scanner. They do have O2 masks onboard if needed. Probably more or less for stall-outs which should not happen West Bound as they are going down hill. Been awhile since I have been up there and I think that they turn on one fan as soon as power enters the tunnel to prevent the above. It is quite a wind storm at the West Portal!

View attachment 147720

View attachment 147721

View attachment 147722

View attachment 147723
Spectacular shots!!!

I may have answered my own question... Is it cautioning the conductor that top-heavy cars are about to have their wheels lifted up by the frog to cross over onto the diverging track, and, therefore need to go slow to avoid problems?

Hey, Todd.. What does that warning sign mean? Is that cautioning people around the area, or is it cautioning the conductor?

Sorry for the newbie question, lol
View attachment 157394
Jeff: HI Rail'rs ( track inspectors, MoW ) that are on the tracks need to watch out for the Frog. You can just see it just under the plow and it is higher than the rail stock rails. I actually watched one guy ignore it and there was quiet a bump, bump - he slowed way down after that.

Later

Westbound going into East Kootenai Falls.
IMGP0583.JPG

Tail end of same:
IMGP0584.JPG

East bound that was in the hole:
IMGP0585.JPG

Tail end of the above.

IMGP0586.JPG

Eastbound ( from the hole ) heading into West Libby.

IMGP0587.JPG

Tail end
IMGP0588.JPG

2nd Eastbound from Kootenai Falls
IMGP0589.JPG

Tail end
IMGP0590.JPG

Notice how I lined up the 'gas is here' post for the center of the coupler! Ya, right.

Later

Got some from Sandpoint ID, yesterday before my hearing appointment. With the exception of two of the following all are looking into the sun ( sorta ). 50% gray sky even and I don't like the way they came out. But, they are trains so take them with a grain of salt! Was standing a tad East of the Sandpoint Diamond, and West of Boyer West 1/4 Mile or so. About 2000ft East of the MRL Junction. UP is the crossing at grade, alas no Uncle Pete today.

BNSF2543a.JPG

BNSF4985b.JPG

BNSF4985c.JPG

BNSF4023.JPG

SandpointDiamond.jpg

Later

Got some from Sandpoint ID, yesterday before my hearing appointment. With the exception of two of the following all are looking into the sun ( sorta ). 50% gray sky even and I don't like the way they came out. But, they are trains so take them with a grain of salt! Was standing a tad East of the Sandpoint Diamond, and West of Boyer West 1/4 Mile or so. About 2000ft East of the MRL Junction. UP is the crossing at grade, alas no Uncle Pete today.

View attachment 165277

View attachment 165278

View attachment 165279

View attachment 165280

View attachment 165281

Later
Love the head on shot of #4023

Got to Paradise on Friday as I wanted pix of the freight depot to duplicate on my layout. Not a freight depot anymore, now is a crew/maintenance building. Won't bore you with the all of the building plan views, one so you can get an idea.
IMGP0703.JPG

A BNSF ( MRL ) just happened to come by. 2 miler empty Eastbound Coal drag. You might not notice but this movement went toward Rivali instead of St. Regis, then down to Missoula. Track speed is slow in this area and it took about 10 minutes to get by me. 4 cars actually had to wait at the road vs railroad crossing on 200.
IMGP0710.JPG

IMGP0712.JPG

IMGP0714.JPG

Paradise.jpg

Later

Been awhile. Had to go to the appliance guy as he called but missed it. I was out anyway so gave it a go. Closed - instead of waiting, went down to the tracks.

Eastbound, East of Kootenai Falls, 2nd is looking into the sun so not so great AND the cell camera has a lot to be desired. Actually thought of taking the real camera but I digress.
0707230838.jpg

0707230840.jpg

I pushed the shutter thingie about 100ft closer. Well you can see what I ended up with.

Later

Couple for ya:

Eastbound Empire Builder in Libby about 1.5 hours late. Pretty dark still.
IMGP0801.JPG

Again just past West Riverview; I barely beat her here - 18 miles from Libby Station.
IMGP0802.JPG

IMGP0803.JPG

BNSF that was waiting for the EB in Ripley, now just West of Riverview.
IMGP0804.JPG

Drat the luck, no power on end, actual EoT! Went into the siding at Riverview.
IMGP0805.JPG

Back to Ripley to wait for the Westbound out of Riverview. 1st shot - thing was moving so a little blurry.
IMGP0806.JPG

IMGP0807.JPG

IMGP0809.JPG

No Mo this am, so back home.

Later

Couple for ya:

Eastbound Empire Builder in Libby about 1.5 hours late. Pretty dark still.
View attachment 174166

Again just past West Riverview; I barely beat her here - 18 miles from Libby Station.
View attachment 174167

View attachment 174168

BNSF that was waiting for the EB in Ripley, now just West of Riverview.
View attachment 174169

Drat the luck, no power on end, actual EoT! Went into the siding at Riverview.
View attachment 174170

Back to Ripley to wait for the Westbound out of Riverview. 1st shot - thing was moving so a little blurry.
View attachment 174171

View attachment 174172

View attachment 174173

No Mo this am, so back home.

Later
You've managed to get some great shots of these.

Last edited:

Back