Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Saturday, April 27, 2013

anim_coffee.png

CUP_COFFEE.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 68°F with 97% humidity. Cloudy, showers possible, high of 82°F.
condmc-1.jpg
cond30.jpg

I think today I'll just sit back and watch some movies. I may clean up the work area on the layout later.

DSCN3752.jpg

I didn't do much today. Put a few things away. Pulled the rear number boards on the Pathmark GP40 and cleaned the silver paint off them. They came painted over from the factory. Now they look much better. I like seeing them light up when I run the loco in reverse. They don't have numbers but they didn't have any in the first place so no loss.

DSCN3754.jpg

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Yikes, you guys are way ahead of us in California, it's still Saturday here!

Bill T doesn't just get up with the chickens, He's the guy who runs around and gets the chickens up!;):D

Got some chores to handle before trains today. Went yard saling yesterday. Scored a bunch of Herpa and Con-Cor tractor trailer sets, new in the box for 3 bucks each. Bought all 8 of em! :D
Hmmmm, there may be something to this "tagging along with the wife" thing after all!:rolleyes::cool:

The only thing I ever find at garage sales is the empty spot on the table where the "greatest thing ever" was about 15 minutes before I got there.

The only thing I ever find at garage sales is the empty spot on the table where the "greatest thing ever" was about 15 minutes before I got there.

Uh-huh. Or the big box of Lionel trains their father had when he was a kid in 1939...

When my church does their annual "white elephant" sale, I notice that all the really desirable items get snagged by the people doing the setup, before the sale even opens to the public.:rolleyes:

When my church does their annual "white elephant" sale, I notice that all the really desirable items get snagged by the people doing the setup, before the sale even opens to the public.:rolleyes:
What's the point in going then?

Good morning. It's 65° with 100% humidity and a small chance of rain. The high will be 80°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond30.jpg

The plan for today if you can call it that is to clean up the layout some. When I can see where things are without having to hunt for them will be good enough. Other than that I'll watch some movies and maybe catch up on my sleep a bit.

Good Morning

We be getting more rain, again.....and, another dull day for our viewing pleasure...

Got a lot of yard work done yesterday...day before that was our marathon operating session...ran until something like...oh...4:30...AM Saturday ....

Going to church in a bit then off to the mall...maybe see the gang at our diner later on...

Have a good day!

Did some cleanup work on the layout today. It looks somewhat better. I put the new GP40 to work. It's on the head-end of a four loco consist of two GP40's (one Bachmann on GP38-2 chassis, one Atlas with Bachmann shell), a FM H24-66 (Atlas) and my U30E645 (Atlas). There are two other four loco consists on the layout awaiting their turn. One is made up of two Bachmann GP7's, a GP35 (rebuild) and a slug (Frankenloco). The other is made up of four FP7's. One is stock E-R Models power, one is a completely stock Atlas, one is an Atlas with PPW power and one is an Atlas with Athearn power.

Well that's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

Evening y'all!

Karl, good luck on your first day of the new job tomorrow! I sure wish I'd have stayed at your house just a little bit longer before I tried to install a decoder on this P2K geep (the one we put the new gears in). I can't for the life of me, figure out where the power from the right-hand rail wheels comes from! (I started a separate thread about this.) So I didn't get any more decoders installed after I got home.

Evening y'all!

Karl, good luck on your first day of the new job tomorrow! I sure wish I'd have stayed at your house just a little bit longer before I tried to install a decoder on this P2K geep (the one we put the new gears in). I can't for the life of me, figure out where the power from the right-hand rail wheels comes from! (I started a separate thread about this.) So I didn't get any more decoders installed after I got home.

Wow, should have said something, I could have popped of a shell and SHOWN you!!:cool:

Your answer awaits in your new thread! :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening y'all!

Is that one of the geeps that has only one wire coming off the trucks? If that's the case it has what is known as a 'hot' frame like the Athearn blue box locos. The decoders right rail pickup wire (red) can be connected anywhere on the frame to complete the circuit to the rail. It also means the motor is grounded to the frame and must be isolated. In many cases this means there's a tab going from one of the motor brush contacts to the frame. Removing or cutting this tab should successfully isolate the motor. If it's an Athearn type motor and I'm betting it is this tab will on the bottom of the motor and can be easily removed AFTER the motor is separated from the frame. The tab looks like two fingers coming off the bottom of the motor. smash them flat or break them off. After this is removed place a strip of electrical tape in the bottom of the motor well. Carefully solder a wire to the bottom contact on the motor then place the motor back in the frame. This wire will connect to the gray wire on your decoder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back