Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Good morning folks.

I woke up to 4 inches of white stuff on the ground. It's the really fluffy stuff that blows around so it's real fun having semis pass you on the highway. Can you say white out?!:eek: We're suppose to get another couple of inches today so it will be slow at work. The roads are fine but it makes people want to stay home and drink or whatever!:D

I ran some trains last night. I don't know why I don't do that more often. Just 30 minutes of train time really relaxed me. I think it's because I'll have to partially dismantle the layout in a few months to move. I originally designed it to be moved but I didn't design it to fit in a 12x10 bedroom which is a real possibility. We're going house hunting on Sunday so I'll need to weigh the pros and cons of each house in relation to trains and other must haves.

I brought a book and a Model Railroader to read today so even if I don't sell anything it won't be a total waste of a day!:)

Have a good one.

I worked on the broken Atlas truck this morning. I ground off what was left of the retainer tabs that would have held it onto the frame. I left the location rough so that glue can hold to it. I put the truck in place in the GP40 frame then super glued a piece of ns rail to it in the location where one of the retaining tabs were. It's now enough to keep the truck in place. The next item on the list for the GP40 is to replace the motor. The one in it runs but sounds like it's grinding itself to pieces.

DSCN3236.jpg

I ran some trains last night. I don't know why I don't do that more often. Just 30 minutes of train time really relaxed me. I think it's because I'll have to partially dismantle the layout in a few months to move. I originally designed it to be moved but I didn't design it to fit in a 12x10 bedroom which is a real possibility. /QUOTE]

I might be faced with the same possibility, hopefully. At this point, I know which portions of the layout will move, and which will end up at the land fill, however the possibility of a 12x10 or smaller room loom in the future. In any event, I do find running trains relaxing, and have restored a crossover that will permit a continuous running loop. Sometimes, prototype operation is too much like work:(.

Joe

I got the GP40 back together and took it for a test run. No derailments, no hops. The repaired truck is working fine. I did have a couple of hairy minutes earlier when the glue tried to stick the side of the truck to the frame. The only noise I heard during the test was the squealing and growling of the old motor. Maybe someday I'll shoehorn an Athearn motor into it.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3240.jpg

Good morning. It's 43° with 1`00% humidity. The high will be 65°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

Started off this morning with a blood sugar reading of 57. Not the best for sure. I had to get that up before I did anything else. So chili for breakfast! That's right. Chili. While it's low in sugar it's about 25 grams of fat and around 10 grams of protein. It brings my blood sugar up in a hurry, way faster than glucose tabs. I'm back up in a 'normal' range now and feeling much better.

Plans for today, clean up on the layout I guess. It was already a disaster area and working on the FP7 and GP40 didn't improve it any. Of course that's assuming I get a chance to do more than pick up a few items before the confounded phone rings!

Well now it's time to take my morning meds. Hope everyone has a better day than I've been having so far.

P1011257.jpg

Good Morning All:

It's 43° F and raining in Jersey this morning.

Since we returned from our trip, I've had trouble sleeping.

Well, stay dry and have a good day.

Joe

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Saturday, February 23, 2013.

anim_coffee.png

stn_b.jpg

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

Thanks for this pic, Bill
Interesting from the the point that it looks like a publicity type photo in that everyone is looking at the camera and has been casually/carefully posed. The station master in the ticket window, the fellow on the platform with his foot up on a cart (a pose seemingly often used back then) and especially the horse drawn street car parked next to the station.

Well my new (to me) Atlas FP7 hasn't come yet. The delivery estimate said between the 19th and 27th. With my luck it'll come on the 28th. Oh well, I have enough to keep me busy.

Well, "Carey's Kindercare" closed this afternoon, (babysitting my 3yo grandson. Love him to death, but his 3yo energy level is about 10X what mine is.) when my wife let me get out of the house for some railfanning. I went down to Norris Yard in Irondale, and while the action is usually good, today it was dead.

There was 1 KCS train, (runs to and from Shreveport) and it always has KCS power on it. They had 5 locos on this one and the last loco was in the black and yellow KCS scheme. The trainmen uncoupled the first 4 loco's from the train, and placed them on a siding. Then they uncoupled the last loco from the train, pulled it forward and then backed it onto the siding where they coupled it up to the other KCS locos. Finally they pulled the consist out back on the main, coupled up the train and then about 20mins later, it left town. It sure was a very long train, but by the time they did all this it was too dark for pictures.:mad:

The only other action was 3 NS locos, 2 GP-40's and a GP-50 left the yard light. Whether this was a local heading out to pick-up some cars, or it was going to assist another train into the yard I don't know. What's so unusual is that the GP-50 was a high hood, definitely part of one of the last orders to EMD by the SRR for a high hood. It was also sub-lettered for the CNO&TP, a long time subsidiary of first the Southern and then the NS. What really would have made my day, would to have had that thing still painted in the classic SRR Tuxedo. Oh well, can't have everything.:D

This morning I said I would probably get a phone call before I could do much of anything and that's what happened. My father called wanting me to come help him work on a push lawn mower that hadn't been started in four years. The spark plug was dirty, the magneto was rusty, the carb had water in it, the flywheel brake was locked up and the throttle cable was rusty. It took close to three hours work but we got it running like a champ. After that I just wanted to rest for a while. I came back home and squeezed a Life-Like motor into the Atlas GP40. It now runs a lot better than it did yesterday. No cleanup work on the layout today.

It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Tonight's photo taken with the Nippon CardCam 300 VGA camera.
Image11.jpg

Good morning. It's 44° with 88% humidity. The high will be 65°.
cond026.gif

I may get some layout cleaning in today but the first order of business is laundry. That should keep me busy the rest of the morning.

DSCN0891.jpg

LOL! Try watchin 3 at a time! (6 months, 5 and 7) Even after a few hours, the little guys leave, and poppop takes a nap!! :D:D:D

Normally I would as well, but I had to get out of the house before I went stir crazy! I guess that you closed "Karl's Kindercare" when they left as well!:p;)

I really musta had a lot more endurance when I was in my 20's!:rolleyes:

I know I surely did!:D I sure don't remember my kids being able to tire me out so easily!

Normally I would as well, but I had to get out of the house before I went stir crazy! I guess that you closed "Karl's Kindercare" when they left as well!:p;)

I know I surely did!:D I sure don't remember my kids being able to tire me out so easily!

Here's a scary thought. We have 5 boys, the oldest has given us 3 grandsons. If the other 4 follow suit, we potentially could have 15 grand kids. 15 grands kids, plus 5 sons plus 5 spouses, plus Jan and I makes 27 people. I might be getting a part time job as a school bus driver, just so I can take the gang out for ice cream now and then!! :rolleyes::p:eek:

Got my laundry done this morning, had some pizza for lunch, did a little work on the layout then went to dinner at KFC with my father and his new companion.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

PC110272.jpg

Good Morning!

It's 27° F and Sunny this morning, with a predicted high in the low 40s. Typical for the end of February.

After today, rainy weather is forecast for the remainder of the week, so any outside work needs to be done today. While all of this can wait a month or so, I feel a need to get outside and move about.

I moved some buildings around the layout to find the best fit, and most logical location.

Everyone have a great day!

Joe

Back