Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.
I just finished reading all of the Coffee Shop archive post here.
Kind of brought me up to date on everything going on.

I am a new guy here and have enjoyed the reading so far.

Well just stopped in to say hello.

Dale

Wow, we didn't scare you off yet?? :rolleyes:

Seriously Dale, welcome aboard, were relatively harmless sometimes even fun!:cool:

Good afternoon.
I just finished reading all of the Coffee Shop archive post here.
Kind of brought me up to date on everything going on.

I am a new guy here and have enjoyed the reading so far.

Well just stopped in to say hello.

Dale

If you read all that your eyes got to be sore!;):cool: Welcome aboard!

Got the doc visit taken care of. He's curious as to why my blood pressure keeps jumping up and down. One minute it's above normal, the next it's going way below normal, like it was when I was a kid. I had frequent problems with low blood pressure back in the late sixties up to the mid seventies. Late seventies it closer to normal then when I went on meds for diabetes in the eighties it shot up above normal and I've had high blood pressure ever since, well until recently when my home health care nurse noticed it diving below normal. At least now I know why I've been having dizzy spells and briefs periods of blindness. They last only last a second or two and usually come after something lake a violent sneeze. But anyway they did a battery of tests to try and find out how bad this thing with the blood vessel is. They say there very definitely is one blocked. They can hear it but can't quite pinpoint it. I think they're trying to determine if I'm strong enough for any surgery that may be needed. HELLO! I just had a leg cut off and came out of that with no problem. I can bench press a mechanical bed with one arm! I think I'm strong enough! The next step will be a sonogram. That's scheduled for the 27th. My father went see his doctor this morning to find out what's causing some health issues he's been suffering with lately and got some news he wasn't expecting. We have something in common. He's a type two diabetic. The doc put him on some medicine for it and told him he has to modify his diet and to avoid white and wheat bread as much as possible. That's gonna be hard for him. He loves bread! Especially wheat.

Well I got some items in the mail today.

An Athearn blue box GP50.
DSCN5305.jpg

A 'Silver Streak' DVD.
DSCN5313.jpg

And this anniversary boxcar with a unique road number that won't be repeated.
DSCN5296.jpg

I still have one more item coming and it should be here Monday. An Apple Disk II disk drive, model A2M0003.

This evening I watched the 1934 release of 'The Silver Streak' and thoroughly enjoyed it. First time I've seen it on DVD and I have to say it looked much better than it did on VHS.

I spent a bit of time earlier reattaching some metal handrails on a blue box Athearn GP50 (UP paint but not for long if I have anything to do with it). I don't have any of my decals here. They were all left at my trailer. If I can find some thin enough paper I can print some like I used to. It's kinda tricky getting the background color right but it can be done. First though I need to get a color cartridge. All I have is an old black one and it's acting like it's running out. Gonna be a while before any decal printing gets done.

he trip into town the doc today was very demanding for me. I had to get a ride with my brother-in-law. His choice of transportation is a Ford F150 pickup and it's high enough that it needs step rails. Getting up into it was very tricky. I did manage to crawl up into it though. Getting out was easy. Just slide out onto my one foot, turn and sit back in my Hugo chair. Getting back into the truck when we were leaving the docs office was much easier as my B-I-L had parked it so the right side was close to a concrete wheelchair ramp, close enough that I could easily jump onto the step rail then grab the panic handle and use it to lift my 240lb plus body onto the seat. I'm gonna be feeling that in the morning!

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

The caboose is Athearn and is from my nephews old layout.
P9100357.jpg

qv4.jpg

immature.jpg

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Saturday, October 5, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEE.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Temperatures will range from 80 to 82 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 12 miles per hour from the south. Rain amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch are predicted.

LOCO_ACTION.png

Reminds me of a classmate in high school.

Did we go to the same high school?
ROTFLMAO.gif
I attended at least two on two different continents.:cool:

Good morning. It's 73° with 100% humidity. The high will be 88° and will feel like 100°.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond50.jpg

Nothing really planned for today though I'm fairly certain something will present itself. Got the word yesterday that the blood vessel that's partially blocked is the carotid artery in the right side of my neck at or just below shoulder level.

P1010732.jpg

P1010669.jpg

Afternoon all.
Drinking coffee and reading.
I don't have a layout to work on yet. It is still in the designing stage.
I have a track layout program I am working with.
Every time I think I have something that will work OK I see a problem with it.
Man this design stuff is hard.
I can get the cars in a siding but can't get the engine out just stuff like that.

I will get a layout designed......I will get a layout designed.........I will get a layout designed........

Later folks.

Dale

The problem with those CAD programs is they're not perfect. Even when you get a design that 'works' on the CAD you're going to run into more problems when you put the track down. The best track design aids I've ever used are the ones I still use. My brain, pencil, paper, compass, protractor. Mustn't forget several erasers.

Thanks Jeffrey, I am not looking for perfect just something to draw a layout.
If I use paper and pencil I would have a ream of paper scraps all over the floor by now.

I am just looking for a workable idea right now.
Getting cars into and out of places. No dead ends.
That is my greatest problem right now are dead ends.

Trains getting locked in a loop and no way out, sidings that the engine cannot get out of.

I will get it right, someday. :confused:

Dale

One thing I learned the slow way was that a published track plan could be the starting point, it didn't have to be the exact ending point. For too long I dismissed lots of plans because they weren't perfect for my situation. Eventually I figured out that I could take a pretty good for me plan and then tweak it from there. Another thing I was too late to figure out was that building a layout didn't mean I would be stuck with that one forever. There may be some benefit to picking something smaller and simpler than you know you'll want someday.

From the DairyStatePhone

Hello, everybody.

Regarding CAD layout programs, I tried one but gave up. The learning curve was too steep for me. So, I used my old t-square, triangles, compass, etc. .... My main concerns with layout design was accommodating minimum radius curves and comfortable aisle widths. .... As I build the layout, I adhere to minimum radius as planned, but I have changed other things such as sidings. .....

Watch your clearances carefully!

FiascoTransport3.jpg

Well, it has arrived. I checked with some former acquaintances that are now occupying a normally extremely hot place, and they have confirmed it is snowing there.
After the fourth road failure of my brand new BLI N&W J this morning, I returned it to the LHS where I purchased it. There is now a brand new MTH J rolling around my home layout, with nary a problem. Yet. As of right now, the new engine has already run twice as long as my first BLI J before it grenaded its decoder. It's also run about 30 minutes longer than the replacement did before the smoke unit failed the first time.
MTH still has a long way to go before convincing me their products are "good", but so far, in this, my first-ever purchase of an MTH steam locomotive of any type, there seems to be a glimmer of hope. At least on a case-by-case basis. I still remember the diesels, but that's another fiasco for another story...

The name of the trucking company is classic, as well...

Terry ..... Trucking company slogan is not in focus. It is "Surprising Results"..... The MTH J sounds like a winner.

Karl and Jeff ..... It is fun to include whimsical scenes. .... The rivet counters elsewhere informed me they would just let the air out of the tires to move the truck. Can't please everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back