Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad: I just spent most of my day in emerg here...my CHF was acting up...again :eek:

Hope you got your CHF taken care of. I know heart problems can be a bear.

Went out to dinner today with my father and step mother. My choice of places. Los Mayos of course. It's the easiest one for me to get into. Upon getting home it was another upper body workout with the walker. I didn't trip in the doorway this time. But as a result of all the walker use today I'm very tired and sore. The bed is looking really good. Got an appointment tomorrow. They want to do ultrasound scans of my neck to find the partially blocked blood vessel that's playing heck with my hearing. So I'm calling it a night. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

P9110407.jpg

P9100381.jpg

All I'll say about walkers is, the next doctor that tries to insist I use one will end up with it as an impromptu rectal exam tool. It took a problem and turned it from an inconvenience into a logistical nightmare. Instead of a pair of crutches, and being able to get around, I was forced into this hobbling, time-consuming shuffling crawl to get around anywhere inside my house. That or a wheelchair, which was even worse, since my house, like yours is and was not ADA compliant. And I won't even talk about the torture and humiliation of trying to go anywhere in public. And my family and friends wondered why I acted like I was depressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I'll say about walkers is, the next doctor that tries to insist I use one will end up with it as an impromptu rectal exam tool. It took a problem and turned it from an inconvenience into a logistical nightmare. Instead of a pair of crutches, and being able to get around, I was forced into this hobbling, time-consuming shuffling crawl to get around anywhere inside my house. That or a wheelchair, which was even worse, since my house, like yours is and was not ADA compliant. And I won't even talk about the torture and humiliation of trying to go anywhere in public. And my family and friends wondered why I acted like I was depressed.

I know, I hated mine when I had 1 too. Thank God the old guy who originally had the house took out the front walkway and replaced it with a ramp!! They actually cut me loose a few days early cuz they knew I didnt have steps to climb. If I ever have to use it again though I'm installing a rear view mirror and a bicycle horn!! :rolleyes:

Good Evening

:mad: I just spent most of my day in emerg here...my CHF was acting up...again :eek:

So, most of the day was pooched...now I'm back on-line.... thanks to our wonderful doctors...:cool:

Very low salt, low cholesterol, low fat, etc, etc, so on and so forth...although I can has lots of spicey stuff...heeheehee :cool:

Glad they got your ticker under control :)
As far as the spicey food, better order some of this 1st. Don't want to kill little Spring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

Barry - that really sucks about the CHF, hope the meds can at least keep it from getting any worse!

UPS delivered my Keyspan USB/Serial adapter today. That's the good news. The bad news is I looked at the specs on the package, and it shows they only provide device drivers up to Windows 7. I contacted the vendor but of course, after normal working hours they don't have tech support. The hapless dude that answered my call was only able to offer me an RMA#. I'm booked solid for tomorrow and the entire weekend, so I'll have to wait 3 days to see if this thing will actually work or if I have to buy a 'junk' computer just to use DecoderPro.

I never would have dreamed that a modern Microsoft operating system could fill me with so much homicidal rage..!

Last edited by a moderator:
Say, Jeffrey -- what controls do your turnouts use? In the pic above, I'm seeing a little read gizmo -- is that some kind of ground throw, or is that a non-working detail of some kind?

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Friday, October 4, 2013

anim_coffee.png

COFFEE_CREME.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Temperatures will range from 80 to 83 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 10 miles per hour from the south. No precipitation is expected.

SMILEY_TRAIN.png

Allegedly, Microsoft is releasing windoze 8.1 in a couple of weeks. It will be a free upgrade to any of you hapless users that are now stuck with winhoze 8.

Keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Karen. Father-in-law lives in Mobile, so he's directly in the path. Doesn't look like a major storm but plenty of rain is headed our way. It should be a soggy Sunday this weekend.

Youngest daughter is down from Birmingham for a brief visit. Taking her Hyundai in for an oil change and tire rotation. We'll get to have lunch together, then she has to head back so she can work this evening.

For you Win-doze users, may I humbly suggest the Macintosh. :D My Macbook Pro is four years old and running like a Swiss watch. Upgrades are quick and easy and crashes are rare.

For you Win-doze users, may I humbly suggest the Macintosh. :D My Macbook Pro is four years old and running like a Swiss watch. Upgrades are quick and easy and crashes are rare.

Well, maybe. Mac has limitations too. From the JMRI pages:" Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger" or later is required for JMRI version 2.4 or later because those JMRI versions require Java 1.5. There's an Apple web page that lists the computers that are able to run Mac OS X 10.4 If you're still running Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther", you can download and use JMRI version 2.2."

Considering JMRI is up to version 3.4, a Mac user running OS 10.3 is kinda screwed and stuck with a more basic JMRI.

I'm running mine with an 8 year old Athlon III PC that I got for next to nothing, (literally, it was next to a dumpster) Win 7 with JMRI 3.4 and it works flawlessly:cool:

Karl, Panther and Leopard are the old PowerPC operating systems. If you have any Apple machine built after 2006 you will have no trouble. Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Maverick will all work with the newer programs. The current version is 10.8.3...

Say, Jeffrey -- what controls do your turnouts use? In the pic above, I'm seeing a little read gizmo -- is that some kind of ground throw, or is that a non-working detail of some kind?

The 'little red gizmo':confused: is a bit of the insulation on the wire that powers that particular block. The turnouts were controlled through spst toggle switches and dpdt center off momentary contact switches. Each turnout was connected to a spst toggle that when on allowed power to go to the switch machine. Each dpdt mc switch was connected to two of these toggles. Depending on how the toggles were set the dpdt could control either of the turnouts individually or both at once. This could be easily expanded to allow each dpdt to control as many turnouts as were needed provided the AC power source was sufficient. My power source was an old Bachmann trainset power pack so I wasn't going to push it.

Good Morning!!

Today is a nice rainy dull yuck with humidity galore kinda day...going to 74 feeling like 88 later on...by the way...anyone need some extra humidity for their viewing pleasure?;)

Having a few friends over later on to run some trains around...and see whether Mr Murphy is living in my basement.....:eek:

Got some sudden SWMBO honey do's...later 'gators!!:rolleyes:

I'm staying on 7...it works a lot better than 8 does

Good morning. It's 74° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. The high will be 89° and feel like 101°.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond20.jpg

I'm expecting two packages to arrive today. One is from a member on my forum and the other is from the Big Blue Train forum. Other than that the only thing going on today is a doc appointment in town so they can look at the blood vessels in my neck. After that, no plans.

P9100380.jpg

P9100370.jpg

gonecrazy.jpg

I'm staying on 7...it works a lot better than 8 does

Oh, yeahh... DSM and I gave DSK-M a laptop computer last Christmas -- it came w/ Windows 8. Very nice machine but I saw what a PITB W-8 was... I had to replace my work laptop early this year and when the dealer asked "Windows 8 or 7" -- my choice was very easy.... :rolleyes: :cool:

Windoze 8 is ok for tablets, touch screen laptops, and cell phones. For regular, normal computers and laptops, not so much...

I notiued the auto correct in my previous post gave an obviously Apple-slanted opinion of the operating system...

Good afternoon.
I just finished reading all of the Coffee Shop archive post here.
Kind of brought me up to date on everything going on.

I am a new guy here and have enjoyed the reading so far.

Well just stopped in to say hello.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back