Center Peninsula Track Planning, …..Container Terminal & Port Facility

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

Actually that metal framework when bolted to together with good strong 3/8 bolts tighten up real well in combination with the 3/4 plywood makes quite a stiff structure.

No concerns about swaying,.....its tight.

My one concern was how the cantilevered tip of the upper deck there might eventually bend downward,...just over time rather than due to the load. That carfloat and the pier structure stuck out on the end do not really weight very much. And I built that 'water tray structure' out of the same robust 3/4" plywood that I felt would lend rigidity to the peninsula's tip,...and I glued that tray together along all its edges. However I did NOT glue that tray to the underside of the deck piece, which would have made it even stronger.

It all worked without any horizontal piece underneath.

As a 'just-in case' I have added one more piece of structure that I have not mentioned, nor photographed yet. I'll do the tomorrow.
Okay, here is a couple of photos of my 'just-in-case' support piece,...just a plain old piece of plywood bolted to the lower staging track beam and wedged up under the 'water tray' above.
1591706794009.png

1591706825073.png

Last edited:

MHinLA

HAD to get my 2 cents in. Very simple ! 2 things: (1) those 2 tracks that you've bent to fit within the ironing board shape peninsula: So what's stoppin' ya from cutting a sliver of ply and widening the mother, what, 4 inches ? (2) What are you worried bout engines getting trapped at the stub ends ?! Engines don't pull cars in. They push 'em in !! Chek sum YouBoob 1:1 scale switching videos if ya doesn't bell eve me !!
BS.. Though I prefer point to point RRs, for a continual, this is quite a nice plan..And it will be a great RR..
BBS. Employ steam. Who's gonna come and arrest you ? Your hobby/your RR ....
🌵🛤☀🏨🏪

Last edited:

beiland

HAD to get my 2 cents in. Very simple ! 2 things: (1) those 2 tracks that you've bent to fit within the ironing board shape peninsula: So what's stoppin' ya from cutting a sliver of ply and widening the mother, what, 4 inches ? (2) What are you worried bout engines getting trapped at the stub ends ?! Engines don't pull cars in. They push 'em in !! Chek sum YouBoob 1:1 scale switching videos if ya doesn't bell eve me !!
I'm assuming you are suggesting that I NOT have that dbl-slip turnout, but rather 2 separate tracks entering the peninsula??
https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/center-peninsula-track-planning-…-container-terminal-port-facility.31911/page-3#post-482957

My aisles are already a bit tight, and the addition of another (subtraction) of another 4+ inches might make things bit more difficult as I age. I just recently needed to add 2 inches to accommodate my pier street terminal building and crate making business.

(not the most recent photo, but it shows my need for that extra 2" strip down that right hand edge of the peninsula)

I have also discovered a new siding I will be adding,..
All-purpose Spur
I've been playing around with finishing out this track plan back in the corner that contains my power plant and my coke oven. Bisecting that corner I have a mainline spur that runs down the entire right hand wall and makes a sweeping curve in under the viaduct bridge to a slip switch that feeds the peninsula businesses. At the moment I see spurs off of that track for other sidings including 1) coal for the power plant, 2) coal for the coke plant, 3) coke quenching/extraction track, AND 4) another all-purpose spur. This is a spur that runs right along the backside of the viaduct.

I had originally thought this spur might be used to bring my large transformer moving cars into for crane installation to the power plant.

But now I see many more uses for this spur. It might be a holding track for many coal and coke related cars servicing this area. It might also be a holding track for a few switcher engine(s) servicing these industries, AND those switcher(s) might also serve to push 'cuts of cars' into the peninsula tracks,...per Dave's suggestion, put the switcher spur on the pusher end of the cut.
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/38264?page=8#comment-435751

BS.. Though I prefer point to point RRs, for a continual, this is quite a nice plan..And it will be a great RR..
BBS. Employ steam. Who's gonna come and arrest you ? Your hobby/your RR ....
Thanks, I think I am going to enjoy it once up and running. I'm getting tired of all this planning,...re planning.
In case you haven't noticed I am a BIG fan of steam, and my roundhouse will be chocked full....Plus I will be running a lot, including some steamers pulling container trains....ha...ha.

Last edited:

santafewillie

What are you worried bout engines getting trapped at the stub ends ?! Engines don't pull cars in. They push 'em in !!
While I believe that push in is the way that Brian should proceed, it is not always the case. Here is the former ATSF (now BNSF) Alliance yard and intermodal facility north of Ft Worth TX in the town of Haslet.
1591727681074.png

Trains pull in from either direction and the engines detach and go for servicing. Resultant reloaded containers can then go back out in either north or south direction. The right most five tracks are the container tracks. Those are all containers and trailers in that parking lot. Of course this is a much bigger facility than anyone of us can model.

MHinLA

🌵 WILLIE ..You are right concerning your thru-yard pic above with the main running thru the middle... But the OP has made a stub ended terminus whether or not it's for freight, junk, modal, or passenger..And I don't think there's a runaround escape track either...

GeeTee

Albert Einstein was faced with a similar issue when working on his model railroad and he came up with the following formula ,
SY = Ψ(DY - (RE * D)).
A double ended yard minus the available real estate times the cost , multiplied by Ψ ,where Ψ (psi) is the probablity of making it happen equals a single ended reality.

Whack , Whack ,crack.
Excuse me , I have to order a new dead horse beater mine is worn out. Darn things dont last as long as they used to. What do you expect I got it off ebay.

Last edited:

MHinLA

GEE, not sure what your humor is about, other than something to do with the adage 'beat a dead horse'. But you can't blame ebay for any misgivings on purchases. That's the dealer/manufacturer's fault... Ebay merely displays things for sale and receives a % of the deal for this service..

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.