C&D cars are LOADED! (warning: lots of pics)

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Many of you are familiar with my ambitious quest to build a large fleet of cars for C&D (construction debris and demolition) service, which is particularly prominent in the northeast as C&D is hauled out of the New York City area. These cars are often former woodchip hoppers, bathtub gons or other hoppers. Previously, you have seen the woodchip hoppers decorated for my modern NYCS, and subsequent woodchip hoppers painted for my fictional leasing company, MRFX.

Up until now, these cars were empty; I had no loads for them. The most challenging part of the C&D project, I have found, was actually modeling the actual C&D loads. Consisting of scraps from new construction projects and the remnants of bulldozed buildings (very common coming out of New York City as the city reinvents itself), the loads were very diverse and difficult to model. They consisted of drywall, plaster, concrete, piping, wood, and all sorts of odds and ends related to construction and demolition.

Working with my friend, we spent several months discussing the best course of action to model these loads. After collaborating over this period of time, I believe we have accomplished the "right" look for the loads. He supplied me with the material, while I created the loads for the cars. Comments, compliments and criticism is welcome and encouraged. Thoughts?

First, for reference, here is a link to a prototype picture:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=340393

Now for the models...

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

From the ground, you can see the "hump" caused by overloading these cars - virtually all C&D transfer stations are guilty of overloading.

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

Some more pics:

IMG_9158.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9177.jpg

Lastly, here are the loads shown out of the car. I simply cut a piece of basswood to the dimensions of the car, applied the loose C&D material, and used a white glue/water mixture to secure it like ballast. The wood is cut so it will friction fit into the car; no need for risers. Removal is easy, just simply inserting an X-acto knife between the sides of the car and the load, and prying the load out...

IMG_9154.jpg

IMG_9155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! I have been waiting to see these for quite a while and can't wait to see them in person!

Looks like junk to me! :) For some reason, maybe the lighting, the loads you show out of the cars look better to me than when they are in the the cars. They look a touch too white. Maybe a few india ink washes would tone it down.

Very nice work. I really like the wood and steel debris tossed in for variety. It's not over done, and looks very realistic.

They look awesome in pictures, and i'm sure they look better in person.:cool:

Very nice job.
Question ?

When they pick up the dumpster at our site for truck pick up they have to cover it with a mesh tarp.
Do they have to cover the loads going over the rails?

Mac, the only requirment a railroad has is not to load the car above the load line, which supposed to be marked on every open car by 2010. The FRA has been trying mandate load covers for things scrap metal gons and the types of C&D hoppers that are being modeled here. Even though there are hundreds of verified injuries caused every year by debris flying out of open hoppers, the railroads have fought this rule tooth and nail. The load line requirement is the best the FRA was able to get after battling the railroad lobbyists for the past five years.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Regarding mesh covers, some cars have them, while others don't. I elected not to put them on these cars.

they look like trash...

and yes that's a compliment... they are supposed to look like trash...

Yes, very well done indeed. They do look a bit darker when out of the cars.... I like the metal, copper you have included, I'd go for more, but that's just a personal call. They overall concept, ease of removal, and I would figure the cost over store bought, is a testament to "out side the box thinking"

Me thinks this would win a photo contest aw well ;)

Really great looking loads!!! :D I have a few woodchip cars that are "empty" now :rolleyes: and I know just the thing to put in them and treak a few club members at the same time LOL I can hear them now " you can't put that in them " watch me :D:D

The loads look great and the cars look great to,
but they don't match. You dump plaster and cement into anything and you will get white dust all over everything in the area. The cars look like they had the dust washed off after loading.

Wow, that's all I can say, I mean wow. I model the PRR, in the 60's in Northern Ohio. I thought of doing the same thing with the PRR I didn't know there was one for the NYC till now. We could do one for Penn Central :D! The loads are so realistic. Mike

Back