Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

I just recently started seriously going through this forum. I found this thread tonight and read the whole thing. It's really neat to see this layout grow to completion. It's sad to think of it being torn back apart but it should be interesting to see what you come up with.
I'm happy to see that modeling is not dead. Your layout should be an inspiration to anyone interested in building a serious layout. Thanks for the thread.

Steve

Steve, Welcome to the thread. Glad you spent some time and learned a thing or two.

I'm not sure model railroading is dying. It may be a bit sick, but still kicking. Manufacturers are slowly learning that China is probably not the best answer, and it looks like some of the manufacturing is coming home.

Prices will be the downfall of our hobby in the long run. I think even today's young folks will grow out of their computer games and hopefully take up where their Grandfathers left off. Prices will get so high that only the rich folks will have the opportunity to do anything really serious in this hobby. I had a layout tour a few weeks ago. Average age for attendees was in the 70's. Hell, I'm almost 68! If my open house was the norm then will anybody show up 10 years from now?

Manufacturer's prices are already reaching $350 for most locos. That's a car payment. I don't have any answers. I don't know how to make money, only spend it. The only reason I can survive in model railroading is my era (1931) and my type of railroads. (mining and logging) Would I like to have huge Mallet steamer and room to run it? You bet. But the CFO won't let me have the living room.

N scalers seem to be younger than HO or larger scalers. Z guys tend to be in their 40's for the most part. As their infirmatives grow with age hopefully they will try HO and enjoy the scale. If they can afford it by then! Jim:)

Very interesting, HOexplorer. I lost everything I own a little over 5 years ago to a fire. At age 60, I thought it best to convert to virtual railroading because I didn't think I would live another 40 years to try to collect and rebuild everything I had lost over the past 40 years.
I'm not advocating anyone to convert, I'm just saying it was a decision I thought best at the time. I'm rather glad I did. I can now built a layout a million miles long if I so desire with no tools or glue or any physical apparatus of any kind. I can ride in the trains as the engineer and drive them or in a passenger car as a tourist.
I've taken up 3D modeling and now build models for this railroad simulator.
It is a different world but possibilities are endless and limitless as an alternative.
Yes, I do miss the 'hands-on' interactions of the real HO world but it was something I had to do to stay in the hobby that I love... Trains.
I specialize in 1800's logging and mining and have found it to be very satisfying... Different but still fun none the less.

:)

Jim
In getting back in touch with my old (and I do mean old) minions I found out that the National Narrow Gauge Convention will be in my state again this year. Last time I attended was 94. I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing old friends and getting blown away by the amazing craftsmanship but we're the young ones. You and me. I'm 58. My old friend Bill was laughing the other night that every year the average age of model railroarders gets one year older. It seems that every hobby I have gotten into is peopled with older enthusieasts because the younger people are busy raising a family. What really concerns me is that there doesn't seem to be many younger people interested in "hands on" hobbies. Where are the future hobbieists going to get their start?
I think that part of the expense of equipment is the fact that everything is RTR and the locomotives come with $150 worth of electronics. While I really admire many of the "craftsman" kits that were and I suppose still are available, I tend to make many of my structures from scratch or kitbash from inexpensive kits. I cast many of my own parts and get much of my scenery material from nature.
Like you I like to model short line mining, logging, and narrowgauge. I still have a lot of mainline equipment but a breakin and theft of much of my steam and brass long ago eliminated the need for large curves and long straightaways. It may have been a lucky break. Anyway, I am impressed with your little layout and it has given me a push back into the hobby. Thanks

Steve

Devin, My last layout (N scale) had a flat car bridge and the ubiquitous log bridge. Here's a photo for you. Thanks, Jim

goingtowork1.jpg

what are the two engines in the picture and could they be found in HO scale?

Jim, Yes, these locos are available, sort of. The top one is a 2-truck Shay. Bmann make only 3-truck Shays these days. Epray sometimes has older 2-trucks. The lower loco is an old Climax. Popular in the 1890 and early 1900's. I know they are made in brass and out of my price range. This was a plastic kit I bought and bashed to make a copy of the N guage Climax in the photo. These can be powered. Mine is static. Here's a pic for you. Jim:)

Climax No. 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, Thanks for stopping by. I've thought about computer sims and I tried one a few years back. I think it was Trainz or something like that. I'm not the best at computers or simulations I guess. I'll go out with something I can put my hands on. I'm glad to hear you have this hobby figured out. I like the prices! Jim :)

Skillman/Steve, Personally I have hopes for the young folks. I think that by the time they're in there 40's or 50's they will come to their senses and see the value of model railroading. Hey, I didn't start model railroading until I was over 60. Look at me know. Who knew?

I've been to Yelm back in the day. Great part of the country. Wet and wild. Have fun with the model railroading and check back if I can help with anything. Jim:)

Ian, Thank you. I forgot the name of the kit. This is the kit I purchase in January and the picture above and maybe a couple in the thread is my kitbash of it. I never really liked this version so I changed it to the more popular Climax "look." Jim :)

THAT is a great looking model and a great price for brass.
You'd be crazy not to invest in that one, guys.

I motoreized a Keystone two truck two cylinder Shay back in the 80's. Don't know if Keystone is still around though.
I bought most all my model stuff from them. They had a ton of logging and mining stuff.
Great medal kits.
:)

joed, I can't start the left 1/3 of the layout until July 15. I have an Layouts of Southern California open house on the 14th. I will start taking the trees off the next day. I'm getting really excited as I like to build so much. I thought about cancelling the open house, but was asked not to please.

I still have the Z layout I'm doing for a guy on my layout floor so I can't even get to the layout! I should be done by next week. Thanks for inquiry. Jim :)

Ian, That brassie will go for about $650 to $750 I'm guessing. Sometimes folks get a bit carried away and it could go to $900. Ridiculous really, but collectors are a different breed and good luck to them. If I had the loot I would buy it and you can bet your bottom dollar you would see it painted, lettered, weather, and running on the PCM&T Co. layout. Jim:)

Very nice layout and locos, Jim. I will be looking at this thread a lot more closely once I begin construction on my On30 logging and mining layout.The Keystone shays are still available from time to time. The woman that runs Keystone is either selling out all the old stock or just producing in small quantities. The motor kit for these shays is no longer available, however. When they come up on Ebay with the motoring kit they usually sell for $200 or more. I have a 2 truck and 3 truck shay from MDC I would part with, if anyone is interested. These are both HOn3 scale. I have no use for them and know no one in that scale who can use them. All of my models are On30 kits that are mostly built on Bachmann chassis. Ron

rlundy90, Thanks for the compliments.

That loco is at $101 so far today. I would pay more the $250 for it unless it was DCC and sound. Anyway, my Roundhouse Climax kit probably had been on the 'collectors' circuit for years. I got it as a fair price and that is one less item on the market.

I have a couple of On30 locos and cars just for photography purposes. I don't run 'em. No room. Jim:)

I have a little Keystone Shay that I bought years ago and got the power unit. It had a Northwest Short Line gearbox and some really nice powered trucks with a nice little can motor. If I remember correctly the white netal chasis was very fragile and I wound up making a frame out of brass. I got the chasis to run pretty well but never got the superstructure anf side gears all installed before I left the hobby. I think I might still have it tucked away somewhere. I'll have to look for it in my boxes of treasures.
I built a number of the MDC Shay's. Made one into an On30 model with the V&T kit for an old modeling friend. Northwest Short Lne gearbox and different size drive wheels. It came out really nice and ran fairly well. The MDC shay was just too big to make a good HOn3 shay for most modelers. Maybe a Westside Logging Shay but most modelers wanted a little 2 cylinder.
I understand that the Bachman shay's really run nice. I got out just as they were showing up. Are they still available? They were rumored to be coming out with a Climax loco at one time. Did these ever show up? I still have Shay's and Heislers but never had a Climax to operate.

Steve

Thanks for the link. I was looking en e-bay today and looking around on the web. I can't find any of the HO bachman geard locos for sale but I did find that there were many gear problems with all these models. I understand that they discontinued the HO climax because of these problems. I don't know if these same problems showed up in the 0n30 shays or not. Maybe I should check mine. do you know if they affected the 0n30 climax?
I'm still really interested in the bachman shay and climax in HO as I would like to have these for my logging railroad. It looks like they ran very well till they broke a gear. Not really interested in the 3 truck models. too big.

Steve

Back