Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Now you're just gonna haf to do that first pic again, Oooohh.

Far as the "brain" is concerned, over here they used to talk about the "brain drain", referring to the number of highly trained people that left to go overseas to better paid jobs (now they all want to come back)

My brain "drained" long ago, so no risk of me going.

So here is the picture again with the bridge finished. Because of the angles of the bents this may not look quite right, but this wood should keep the trestle from falling down! Jim:D

More lumber.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The workers just had a touch too much 'shine before getting to work. ;)

fc, I did some research and found that most of these camps were pretty "dry." The only thing locked up tighter than the dynamite was the booze storage. Not to mention this is 1931. I'm sure some of the more creative miners and loggers had their own stills and stashes however. Jim:)

fc, I did some research and found that most of these camps were pretty "dry." The only thing locked up tighter than the dynamite was the booze storage. Not to mention this is 1931. I'm sure some of the more creative miners and loggers had their own stills and stashes however. Jim:)

Put that one in the "layout never finished" basket, eh?

Back from holiday. Cruise ship Easter Caribbean.

Remember if any of you have ANY questions please feel free to ask them and I will try my best to answer them. Jim:)

GS, Not long enough! But, I'm glad the airplane part of it is over!

To celebrate I just took this photo for you all. One of the over looked parts of photos on layouts is that the photographer doesn't usually produce some really interesting shots of their work. Too often we see the side on look and an that person's photo is much the same as the next person's.

Not all wrong, but I would like you to have some fun with photography. In the photo below I wanted to show a 'through the trees' view. Those of us who are climbers and hikers have a chance to see things through the trees. Let's see what we can see.
Jim
tele thru the trees.jpg

Attachments

• through the forest.jpg
    through the forest.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 171
Well, I did get a PM about "how to" regarding photography. Don't remember if I covered this earlier, but it is a good question and here's the answer and the question.

Q: How do I get the close ups that seem prevailent on your layout?

A: Two ways, but first let's examine why I do have so many close ups in my photography. The main reason for close ups is because of my layout room and the size of the layout. It is small. The room is only 10'x11' and I designed a three level trackplan to get as much out of the space available. To stand back and take a photo of even half the layout is almost laughable because there are no long runs or open spaces here. The layout is probably only 90 sq. feet. I make up for lack of sq. footage by building a forest and rock cliff layout with lots of scenery.

First thing visitors, don't say when that come into the room is, "Gee, this layout is small for HO." They may think it, but seldom mention it. I see their expressions so I know. After a few minutes I see their expressions change again to 'wow' how does he do this.

If you've followed this thread I think, hope, you know. Back to the two ways for photography.

First, is simply close ups of varying distances. Nothing new here. Most of us take photos this way. Get in there with your cameras.

Second, don't forget to use your camera's forgotten tool, the zoom option.
Below is a photo using the zoom. I only have 4x. NO DIGITAL zooming!
But 4x suits me fine in the space I have.

work train lake.jpg

This photo was taken from about 4 feet way. The trees won't allow me to get closer to this train. Only the zoom. As always, tripod, timer, and my desk lamp for color enhancement. Try your zoom. It can get you into those good shots in tight places.

Lastly of course is if you want your layout to be 'bigger' then mostly shoot closeups of parts of it. Jim:)

Hmmm, have to have a look at using the zoom when taking pics at the club layout. (now if I can just find the instruction book for my camera)

Toot, It is not that hard. Look through the viewfinder or screen on the back of the camera and compose your shot. Remember, photos are 'free' these days. Jim:)

Here is an interesting photo. Well, at least to me! Not only does it show off the beauties and possibilities of Helicon Focus, but it shows model railroading on different height levels plus it is 5 feet in depth. These logging and mining railroads looked a lot like this one as far as levels are concerned. Enjoy, Jim:)

railroading on different levels.jpg

Toot, Running trains? Who me? Not generally like me. Everyone I know runs trains more than I do. Sadly, running is not much a priority for me. Currently something is wrong with my DCC system. No power to the tracks. So this is my excuse this time.

For the holiday season I give you all this photo. "Bringing the tree to the mining camp." Jim :)

Holiday at the mining camp.jpg

No power to the DCC, I know the answer, it's the little red wire thats come loose from the little board that you've screwed up under your layout and then put all those plastic storage bins in front of. I would prefer you didn't ask how I'm so smart or how long it took me to become so smart.:rolleyes:

Back