Buchmann DDC operation

BMK

I just started with DCC operations. When I trying running my Bachmann McKinley Express engine on Digitrax 00 (DC Operation), it runs slow with the throttle full open. If I run it on my DC layout the engine runs fine. Do I need to modify it to run on my DCC layout?

Are your power wires connected to one part of the track? Add multiple connections and it should do better. Resistance in the rails power to drop the farther your train gets from the power supply. By running feeder wires to the other side of the layout the tracks further away will have the same amount of power as those that are close to power source.

Yes you need to put a decoder in the loco. Do not leave the loco as is on the track with DCC power applied, the motor will make a singing sound and could burn out.

Ken

Yes, the DCC signal will destroy the motor over time.

The reason why the loco runs slower on DCC than regular DC is because Bachmann uses filters (green resistors, copper coiled around carbon rods, tan colored blobs, etc) to comply with European radio interference laws, but they also create a nightmare for running DCC since the locomotive will be sluggish and do not respond to commands right away.

Thank you all for your responses.
Eric
If I convert the the Engine to DCC operation will this solve the problem or are the items you noted shouch that they will still be an issue?

If you convert to DCC, you should hardwire the motor leads to the decoder and bypass the circuit board (and keep the circuit board for lighting).

If you convert to DCC, you should hardwire the motor leads to the decoder and bypass the circuit board (and keep the circuit board for lighting).
This is something I do myself. I don't like messing with resisters for lighting so anytime I can leave the existing light board in place I do. Wiring the decoder to the motor is dead simple in either N or HO.

If they're there, then why replace them? The only times when I replace the light board is when I install sound or if space is limited. When I rewired my bachmann loco, I had to add resistors because I wanted to isolate two sets of lights and the board had all of the resistors on the negative side (DCC uses a positive common with the negatives as the function wires)

Back