Broadway Limited Centipede

look at the clearance between the pilot and the body. Maybe the whole pilot swings? I'll see what I can find out.

I'll vote that they sell 20 total. I can't imagine, with all the locomotives out there that haven't been made into models, that BLI would pick possibly the most obscure diesel ever produced. It was only sold to two railroads if you don't include the NdeM. The entire front pilot and the wheels do swing with curves so it can drag itself around 22" curves. The thing looks like a minature Lionel engine. I can't imagine that, in todays economy, they think will sell many of these at $250 a pop. I can think of a lot of Atlas and Athearn sound equipped locomtives I'd buy in that price range instead, assuming I had that kind of disposable income..

I'll vote that they sell 20 total. I can't imagine, with all the locomotives out there that haven't been made into models, that BLI would pick possibly the most obscure diesel ever produced. It was only sold to two railroads if you don't include the NdeM. The entire front pilot and the wheels do swing with curves so it can drag itself around 22" curves. The thing looks like a minature Lionel engine. I can't imagine that, in todays economy, they think will sell many of these at $250 a pop. I can think of a lot of Atlas and Athearn sound equipped locomtives I'd buy in that price range instead, assuming I had that kind of disposable income..

Well I know I have preoreders for 8 units from 3 people so they will sell. Now the question is how many will run them and how many will put them in a diaplay case. I agree that I would like to see them do something more modern and that I would like but jusdging by the PRR models that they have done it doesnt surprise me. Pluse most off that oddball stuff sells real good for them or they would have disappeared a long time ago. For example try finding a GG1 now , they are just as hard to find as an Atlas Amtrak AEM-7 and Kato Conrail SD80MAC. When they hit EBay they usually go over retail.

CJ, the NdeM were original buyers of 14 units. I don't think of the Centipedes were ever traded off or sold to another railroad.

Mark, I was being facetious about the number sold. I'm sure it will be several hundred and the vast majority will be display case models. Just the thought of trying to get all those wheels on the track gives me a headache. :)

I will be buying two PRR units. Some of us like the unusual and have been waiting for this unit. I love ALCOs, Baldwins, Fairbanks-Morse, Etc.. I have over one hundred locomotives and very few are EMDs or GEs. In fact I don't even own an SD-40-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know I have preoreders for 8 units from 3 people so they will sell. Now the question is how many will run them and how many will put them in a diaplay case. I agree that I would like to see them do something more modern and that I would like but jusdging by the PRR models that they have done it doesnt surprise me. Pluse most off that oddball stuff sells real good for them or they would have disappeared a long time ago. For example try finding a GG1 now , they are just as hard to find as an Atlas Amtrak AEM-7 and Kato Conrail SD80MAC. When they hit EBay they usually go over retail.
If you know someone trying to find a paragon GG1 I know a place that has a few.

http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/category/183/847/ELECTRIC-LOCOS/

I saw them in their showcase a couple of weeks ago.

u-u-u-uh-h-hm. I have two PRR centipedes. Mine are not BLI, but brass, made by OMI. I just got them from a friend's estate. They are brutes. His minimum radius was 23" and the engines didn't look bad tracking around those corners. At least not as bad as a Big Boy swinging around the same corner.

I doubt that the BLI engines can match the standard of the OMI models, but to have one, or two, would be neat. I doubt that I purchase any, but those that can't find, or afford, the OMI engines, might be tempted. And it may be worth the sacrifice.

I like the "oddballs" like the centipede, the BL2, DL109 and such. Call me "feeling sorry for the ugly duckling" if you wish, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think quite a few will be sold. Anyone modeling that era, especially the PRR, should have one.

Bob

I've got three of those railers. One in the portable tool box, one on the layout and one for the bench. Very handy tool. And they handle my Alleghenies, Challengers, Mallets, and Decapods, though I can't rail some of the tenders when I rail the engines. Even the DD40. I wouldn't' be without one.

Bob

I also like the oddball engines. to me the odd stuff is a chage of pace from what everyone and there mother already has. The new diesels (1980s ish and newer) all look the same to me. you end up looking at louvers and fans to note what loco it is. the old diesels and steam had more style and less practical uses , just like old cars of the day.

just my .02

I almost feel like buying one of those things, heavily weathering it, and running it on an excursion train or something, just because I can. That's what most of the people who aren't buying it for display are going to do.

Other than the gaping hole in the pilot, it matches the prototype pretty good. As an FYI the pilot was separate from the frame, much like Lionel’s solution to sharp curves. 54 were sold total.

Greg

Back