Best Hobby Shops on the Web

bigB

I think Ive become familiar with several over the past year or so, and google can find you some more, but Id like to hear what you guys view as the best hobby shops that can be accessed on the web.

I few Ive found

wholesaletrains.com
tonystrainexchange.com
modeltrainstuff.com
firsthobby.com
internethobbies.com
internettrains.com
trainworldonline.com
pacific-western-rail.com
trainbuddy.com
standardhobby.com
dallasmodelworks.com
blueridgehobbies.com
and
ebay for the occasional good deal.

I have ordered from internethobbies, tony's, modeltrainstuff, and some others you don't list. Factory Direct Trains, caboosehobbies, and some e-sellers on eBay have served me well.

I have not ordered from dallasmodelworks, but he has a very good following on the forums. Also, trainworld is a good place to get great deals, although I know some people find their New York manner to be a bit unfriendly or abrupt. Toytrainheaven is also supposed to be good. I bought one engine from modelbahnott.com, who sells Trix and Marklin. Good to deal with.

internettrains.com does not have a good reputation. In fact, it is often reviled on this and other forums.

-Crandell

Bonanzle.com (ebay ripoff) there is a user on there named jsgeare. All of his items are free shipping, he must have a deal worked out with the USPS. That is the fastest shipping ive ever seen hands down. His items are reasonably priced, everything from toy grade trains to the highest tech DCC stuff you can imagine.

I've ordered from modeltrainstuff.com and toytrainheaven.com and walthers.com and all have provided good service and prices.

I've ordered from modeltrainstuff.com and toytrainheaven.com and walthers.com and all have provided good service and prices.

I actually visited modeltrainstuff.com aka MBKlein Hobbies north of Baltimore. What a nice store and truly nice people! Their website is outstanding.

www.hobbylinc.com is also great place to deal with. They probably have the best paint selection of any web store. The web site could use improvement but the prices are competitive. As Josh said, www.maderstrains.com deserves a look since he's a member here. InternetTrains.com is horrible. Slow to sometimes no delivery and you never know what they have in stock. Avoid them.

maderstrains.com

As Josh said, www.maderstrains.com deserves a look since he's a member here.

Thanks Jim and Josh for mentioning my shop. My website is due for a major update, but finding the time to do it has really been proving difficult to do. As of now, im still a fairly new shop having been going for a few months now, the website will eventually be up and running how i want it to be. But im thinking i may have to hire someone to help me out if i cant get some major progress done soon. Running even a small business by yourself is not the exactly easiest thing in the world, customer service and ordering is priority one, and im thankful that i have had quite a few people giving me a shot and coming back for additional orders. My customer list has been slowly growing over the past few months, and i hope to continue to move forward in the small business and hobby shop world. You can check my website by the link in my signature "Maders Trains" and if i dont have the item you looking for listed on my site, drop me a PM or email and i can look into the item and get back to you with its availability and price. Right now Im carrying Walthers, Athearn, Atlas, KATO, Intermountain Railway Company, and TCS DCC Decoders. I also have access to the countless manufactures that Walthers carries as well. josh@maderstrains.com is my shop email you can send inquires too.

Thank you again guys for listing my website in this thread, and many thanks to all of you on this forum who have ordered from me in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, you would be well advised, if you have the money, to hire a website design company to invigorate the web site. We know you but other potential customers don't, so a good website is as important as keeping a brick and mortar shop clean and stocked. My theory has always been to do what you're good at and pay people to do the other things. It works out to be a savings in the long run.

Standard Hobbies---Toy Train Heaven & Model Railcraft Parts. I've been buying from Standard Hobbies for many years, even before I got my first computer in 2000. Standards shipping is a lot faster than Toy Train Heaven but TTH is about 10 to 20% cheaper than Standard. In the last 3 months I have been buying a lot of parts & some engines from Model Railcraft Supplies. They have quick shipping & are real easy to deal w/on the phone.

Josh, you would be well advised, if you have the money, to hire a website design company to invigorate the web site. We know you but other potential customers don't, so a good website is as important as keeping a brick and mortar shop clean and stocked. My theory has always been to do what you're good at and pay people to do the other things. It works out to be a savings in the long run.

Absolutely true. Seems to me that if a brick and mortar store could do a good biz on the web these days(all things being equal in this economy) if they have a great web site, outstanding customer service, reasonable shipping and competitive prices. I know, easier said than done.

I have found that the sites I have patronized the most have very good web sites with decent search features and they are able to put alot of their inventory on line. That and their customer service and reputation are important to me.

Ill def check out Josh's site.

Standard Hobbies---Toy Train Heaven & Model Railcraft Parts. I've been buying from Standard Hobbies for many years, even before I got my first computer in 2000. Standards shipping is a lot faster than Toy Train Heaven but TTH is about 10 to 20% cheaper than Standard. In the last 3 months I have been buying a lot of parts & some engines from Model Railcraft Supplies. They have quick shipping & are real easy to deal w/on the phone.

Modelcraftparts is a good one for sure. youve got to do a little digging but if you find their inventory page which lists everything they have by id #, you can find a few gems there.

bigB,
the "sad" funny thing is, we play with a FICKLE hobby as far as supply and demand is concerned, leading up to availability of whatever you might be looking for. "Package Deals" between Manufacturer and Hobby Stores are notorious....the stores get want they want....plus getting stuck with some stuff that just didn't move or sell. Case in point; I now live in the NE, but on a trip back to the PNW, I stopped in with friends at PF&S railway supply outside of Pasco....lo and behold, here's a DOZEN plus of the Atlas Omya tanks that would probably NEVER leave the shelves...I bought them all, shipped em back home, and had them sold off in a heartbeat!....so I guess the bottom line is, yea, I'm certain the stores listed are fabulous; I've done business myself a LONG time ago with Standard Hobby Supply...but I've learned since then, if there's something particular you are looking for....let your imagination run WILD in locating it....if you don't mind shipping costs, and your local dealer can't do the trick...if you are dead set on having some particular car on your layout, you can't go wrong expanding your searches...

I have used Midwest Rail Junction on several occasions and that place has served me really well. Items ordered have arrived here in a week. Found it on evilbay along with a couple of others.

Who is the best for nickel and dime stuff? I have the occasional need for $5 worth of detail parts that I don't want to drive 60 miles for or pay $9 in shipping.

Jacob

Who is the best for nickel and dime stuff? I have the occasional need for $5 worth of detail parts that I don't want to drive 60 miles for or pay $9 in shipping.

Jacob
I wait until I need a small box of that kind of stuff, then call Brad at Tex-N-Rails. He sells at a discount, and his shipping isn't outrageous.

Since I moved across the country, and found out I live about 20 miles from Josh Mader, I'll probably be getting more of that stuff from him.

Back