Best DCC Sound Board?

DieselDave

I am returning to the hobby after a long hiatus and even before I didn’t dabble with DCC. I just bought an Atlas HO Classic GP-7 for my new layout. It is DCC ready with a fake 8-pin plug so I’m looking at what would the a top sound decoder to install/plug-in-play. Also something that is dual control DCC and DC?

Most all DCC decoders are dual capable, DCC and DC.
Tsunami decoders seem to be the most loaded with options that you can program with just a throttle and a programming track.
ESU decoders would require a LokProgrammer to access their full decoder programming.
Aside from those two, there are numerous other brands of decoders. TCS is a full featured decoder but in my experience, they seem to be kinda fickle.
I have limited experience with the Digitrax sound decoders but decades of experience with the basic non-sound DH series.
I also built decoders from the package kits that NCE offered back in the early 90s. A pile of circuit boards, bags of chips, diodes, resisters, caps and wires and a detailed set of instructions with test points.

The most popular are probably ESU sound decoders, but a Ken already posted you'll need a Lokprogrammer to access all its features.
Tsunami (Soundtraxx) would be my next suggestion, here's a link to the Soundtraxx decoder selector which you may find of interest.

I like ESU LokSound. They are not perfect, but easy to use, and the selection of sound files is huge. They have a lot of configurations, so you can find one to drop in, or custom fit easliy. The comments above about the LokProgrammer are correct- it is harder to get to all the features from my NCE PowerCab. It can be done, but it is a PITA... Really good support from the Pennsylvania ESU people, also. I broke down and bought a LokProgrammer so I can mess with the settings until the diesels work the way I want. I have non-sound from TCS, NCE, Atlas/Lenz, Digitraxx, Atlas/NCE. They all worked very well. Converting all of my diesels to LokSound decoders- 16 so far.

an additional benefit of the ESU decoders. You can go to the ESU website and download project files that other modelers have put extensive work into for specific locomotives.
You can play them over the internet to see how they sound compared to what you currently have.

AS the professor wrote...
"Most all DCC decoders are dual capable, DCC and DC.."

But to check the status you need a DCC decoder.
Most decoders come preset to address 3, and DC (analog mode) enabled.
I you buy something used, it may have been changed.

I turn all of my decoders DC (analog mode) to disabled. As they sometimes misbehave on a DCC layout.

Well, your first problem is the 8-pin plug is considered obsolete by NMRA standards. https://dccwiki.com/Locomotive_Interface/NMRA_Eight_Pin_Plug
Therefore, you are stuck using non-sound decoders or early generation sound decoders from the 2000's that are not very good, at least by current standards. The current standard is the 21-pin plug for the new decoders on the market now. You will have to replace the entire motherboard with a new one to use new decoders or get used to soldering add-ons which may or may not be possible. Many recommend the DecoderBuddy motherboard as it will work with TCS, Soundtraxx, and ESU which are considered the best ones on the market.

Well, your first problem is the 8-pin plug is considered obsolete by NMRA standards. https://dccwiki.com/Locomotive_Interface/NMRA_Eight_Pin_Plug
Therefore, you are stuck using non-sound decoders or early generation sound decoders from the 2000's that are not very good, at least by current standards. The current standard is the 21-pin plug for the new decoders on the market now. You will have to replace the entire motherboard with a new one to use new decoders or get used to soldering add-ons which may or may not be possible. Many recommend the DecoderBuddy motherboard as it will work with TCS, Soundtraxx, and ESU which are considered the best ones on the market.
I recently installed a Decoder Buddy and it was relatively easy, however, I should warn you that the soldering pads for the sound, speakers etc. are very small, a steady hand and excellent sight is a definite advantage.

Last edited:
As Smudge noted- the pads and wires are pretty small. I used 0201 LEDs for a long time, but now I have moved to 0402 LEDs- easier to see! I tried to get picture of the LED with an SMD resistor, but all you can see is a fuzzy dot... I picked up a lighted two-level magnifier on ebay, and it also has a loupe to get higher magnification. Only about 10 bucks. Also, Harbor Freight has eye loupe sets for a couple dollars- 2 to 10X magnification.
I have used the drop-in decoders from all of the major suppliers, and several different wired versions of ESU decoders. I make 3D printed speaker cases custom designed for each diesel- I fit the speakers and cases after putting the decoder in place. I buy sugar cube speakers in bulk from DigiKey- OWS speakers sound really good to me, and they have a wide variety of dimensions to fit in different diesels. I try to maximize the back volume, and add steps and supports for the lights as needed, also.
IMG_1286.jpg

Here is my latest install. ESU 58923 wired version. Atlas Dash8-40B. The speaker is an OWS 9x16mm unit. You can see where I filed out the rear area to allow a larger speaker case. I removed any wires that were not needed, and added a wire to the +V (blue and teal) for the lights. I tuck the LEDs with the 2.2kOhm SMD resistors under the clear light pipes at the top of the shell- plenty of light. I like the way the cab lights up- also helps when I run "nighttime" operations. Now for a bit of detail painting...
IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

Besides what Smudge617 stated about the 21 Plug (BTW, thanks for including the link to NMRA regarding the 8 Pin Plug); there is also something else worth considering: Installing Dual Speakers in your locomotives for providing better DCC sound - from any brand of DCC Sound Decorder unit.

Besides what Smudge617 stated about the 21 Plug (BTW, thanks for including the link to NMRA regarding the 8 Pin Plug); there is also something else worth considering: Installing Dual Speakers in your locomotives for providing better DCC sound - from any brand of DCC Sound Decorder unit.
True, but a bigger consideration is the amount of space available for those speakers, in smaller locomotives and quite a few larger ones milling of the weights is often required.

Depends entirely on the type of loco, how long a rake you want to pull, inclines on your layout etc. Could be a lot, could be minimal, could be none.

The point I was trying to make is that although milling the weight will give you the space for a speaker, it's a lot of work if you don't have access to the correct machinery to do it with.

I have converted about 10 or 15 locos so far to dcc sound using soundtraxx and digitrax decoders. The soundtraxx are by far the better of the two. I use dual sugar cube speakers in most of the installs. I do not use nmra plugs as they take up too much space in many of the models. I simply solder directly to the board. Some models space is at a premium and you will need to mill out the weight to gain room. I do not own a mill but haven’t found a model yet that I couldn’t modify using a hack saw, flat file and Dremel.

True, but a bigger consideration is the amount of space available for those speakers, in smaller locomotives and quite a few larger ones milling of the weights is often required.
Hello Smudge617,
Thanks for your reply. Your point is well taken; however there are locomotives available which allow for dual speakers being installed without having to get involved with "milling of weights". Tony's Trains I believe produced a video showing one such example about a month or two ago.
I have converted about 10 or 15 locos so far to dcc sound using soundtraxx and digitrax decoders. The soundtraxx are by far the better of the two. I use dual sugar cube speakers in most of the installs. I do not use nmra plugs as they take up too much space in many of the models. I simply solder directly to the board. Some models space is at a premium and you will need to mill out the weight to gain room. I do not own a mill but haven’t found a model yet that I couldn’t modify using a hack saw, flat file and Dremel.
Hello Bigboy57,
Yes, modifying a specific model locomotive is nearly always possible - I made several modifications when I had my previous MRR Layout; and I didn't encounter any problems in doing so. In addition, I had no problems with the function of the locomotive.

As for Soundtraxx Vs. Digitrax, for my future MRR Layout (starting construction on it in February 2024) I will select Soundtraxx over that of other sound decoders if available for a particular locomotive I purchase as I believe those sound decoders are best for producing realistic sound. If the locomotive doesn't come with a Sountraxx decoder, I could opt for getting it "made to order".

I am returning to the hobby after a long hiatus and even before I didn’t dabble with DCC. I just bought an Atlas HO Classic GP-7 for my new layout. It is DCC ready with a fake 8-pin plug so I’m looking at what would the a top sound decoder to install/plug-in-play. Also something that is dual control DCC and DC?

I'm by no means an expert, but have probably done somewhere between one and two dozen DCC installs on my locomotive fleet. I've used NCE, Digitrax, ESU, Soundtraxx, and I think even one TCS decoder, both with sound and without.

When it comes down to sound decoders, I like both ESU and Soundtraxx. However, at this point I've settled primarily on Soundtraxx. ESU are good, but I just find them a little quirky compared to Soundtraxx. I also seem to recall...my memory may be a little off here, but I think my experience with ESU speakers was that they are a little more sensitive to installation (e.g. baffles, sound box isolation, etc.) than Soundtraxx speakers in producing the best sound.

I know this is your first DCC project, and don't know what kind of electronics or soldering experience you have, but if it's not too complicated under the shell, you could consider simply replacing the entire Atlas electronics board with a sound decoder board (such as a TSU-PNP8). On some older locomotives, I've found that running a sound decoder through a plug-in to the original circuit board can result in temperamental performance sometimes. But there are times when I'll use a plug-in, such as when the original board has complex light wiring. I recently installed a sound decoder in an Athearn Genesis U50. Removing and reconnecting the headlight wiring would have required me to break off and re-install the glued-in cab interior; since I'm inherently lazy, I just used a plug-in decoder, preserving the original board and lighting attachments.

Good luck to you.

Dual speakers will work well, they will increase the loudness by about 3dB (about what you can hear as a difference). Also, you want to use as large a casing as possible- look at SBS4DCC site for examples. Or, you can print your own custom cases. If you use multiple speakers, make sure to match polarity of the speakers, otherwise they will sound tinny due to cancellation effects. The best shot for most modern decoders is two 16Ohm speakers wired in parallel, to give 8Ohms impedance (about 6.5Ohms DC resistance). You need the space, of course, but you can put them in a tender or a "permanently" coupled box car with wires or a mini-plug to connect the engine to the car or tender.

I'm by no means an expert, but have probably done somewhere between one and two dozen DCC installs on my locomotive fleet. I've used NCE, Digitrax, ESU, Soundtraxx, and I think even one TCS decoder, both with sound and without.

When it comes down to sound decoders, I like both ESU and Soundtraxx. However, at this point I've settled primarily on Soundtraxx. ESU are good, but I just find them a little quirky compared to Soundtraxx. I also seem to recall...my memory may be a little off here, but I think my experience with ESU speakers was that they are a little more sensitive to installation (e.g. baffles, sound box isolation, etc.) than Soundtraxx speakers in producing the best sound.

I know this is your first DCC project, and don't know what kind of electronics or soldering experience you have, but if it's not too complicated under the shell, you could consider simply replacing the entire Atlas electronics board with a sound decoder board (such as a TSU-PNP8). On some older locomotives, I've found that running a sound decoder through a plug-in to the original circuit board can result in temperamental performance sometimes. But there are times when I'll use a plug-in, such as when the original board has complex light wiring. I recently installed a sound decoder in an Athearn Genesis U50. Removing and reconnecting the headlight wiring would have required me to break off and re-install the glued-in cab interior; since I'm inherently lazy, I just used a plug-in decoder, preserving the original board and lighting attachments.

Good luck to you.
I have used TCS, NCE, Atlas/Lenz, Atlas/ESU, DIgiTraxx and SoundTraxx decoders (mostly non-sound). I have found OWS sugarcube speakers to sound better than the ESU or SoundTraxx or the Atlas OEM parts. I cannot tell you exactly what differentiates them. I have built speakers and amplifiers for home and professional use as a hobby/sideline for over 50 years, so my ears are either well-tuned or damaged... :p. I buy the OWS speakers in bulk from DigiKey. I have purchased 5 different sizes for different engines and applications, and 3D print custom cases for each application. I have converted 18 diesels to LokSound so far. I agree with you about the complexity of programming the ESU decoders- OMG they have a lot of options... most of which I do not use... But, the sound is good to my ears. I usually remove all unused wires from the decoders to reduce the footprint. I figure I can always add them back if needed.

Back