Best DCC Sound Board?

Hi I cannot tell if the weight removal had any significant effect on the pulling power. My layout does not allow for really long trains (only about 4x6 ft). The grades are 2% with small radii curves, but the engines do not slow down with 5-7 NMRA weighted cars in tow.

Depends entirely on the type of loco, how long a rake you want to pull, inclines on your layout etc. Could be a lot, could be minimal, could be none.

The point I was trying to make is that although milling the weight will give you the space for a speaker, it's a lot of work if you don't have access to the correct machinery to do it with.
Hi I use a small 6 inch drill press with a Dremel milling bit. Set the belt for the highest rotation (mine is about 3500rpm). Clamp the engine frame in a heavy drill press vise, and move the vise under the bit- work slowly. I add paper spacers a bit at a time under the vise to mill vertically. Clean finish. Then, I use tiny flat files to clean up the sharp edges of the frame. It takes about 15 minutes to mill most frames. Wash and dry to clean up any metal dust. Use eye protection, of course!
1706053320943.jpeg

Dual speakers will work well, they will increase the loudness by about 3dB (about what you can hear as a difference). Also, you want to use as large a casing as possible- look at SBS4DCC site for examples. Or, you can print your own custom cases. If you use multiple speakers, make sure to match polarity of the speakers, otherwise they will sound tinny due to cancellation effects. The best shot for most modern decoders is two 16Ohm speakers wired in parallel, to give 8Ohms impedance (about 6.5Ohms DC resistance). You need the space, of course, but you can put them in a tender or a "permanently" coupled box car with wires or a mini-plug to connect the engine to the car or tender.
Thank you for your comments on speakers.
Yes, "polarity" of the speakers is very important.

I want to have at least one locomotive (Diesel or Steam) which has dual speakers, and the sound decoder by Soundtraxx.
However, instead of me doing the modifying work I will probably select a professional. But this will probably be a few months from now as in February 2024 I am beginning my new MRR Layout - refer to what I said just a few minutes ago under the forum Thread:
Feather River Route and my Layout Project

Back