Begginer with an HO lay out

Joined this forum not to long ago, well its time i post some pics of the layout im working on at the moment.

Not sure on the dimensions, i always forget to take a tape measure with me down to the basement.

Eventually i would like to do some scenery and such.
but for right now, im just playing around.

Im working on upgrading most of my track
This is the biggest set up ive had yet and its still not done.
Im about out of track so im going to go pick up a few more
pieces this afternoon.

Pics-

Picture017.png

Picture018.png

Picture019.png

Picture020.png

Im going to cut a piece of plexi glass for that one corner you see where the track takes a turn and there isnt anything below it.

I was looking at the pictures lastnight, and i see an area i can change up.
I'll keep everyone updated on pics.

Very nice start!!...You have a nice layout going there!....Only 2 things I saw I'd change (now this is just me, Opinions are like you know...some stink more than others)..#1 is the curved track at the switch on the inner loop (bottom picture). I'd add another right hand turnout with the turn-outs to each other. (makes like a x-over track but watch for an "S" turn)This would take away your loop out and back keeping the rails more even to each other around the inside. And also adds another siding to a factory to back into.. and #2 is your grade to your overhead bridge. I see its in early stages, but it seems steep. I'd start the grade after your inner turn to make a smooth climb...The easier the climb, the longer of a train can travel over it. And this also adds a divider somewhat to hide the back tracks.
But it looks great so far...gonna be a fun layout to detail and operate!

Is there a reverse loop in there?
Where will the track on the bridge go?
My favorite part of building a layout is the planning and track work, I miss that.

I know you really want to build a layout but you're asking for trouble doing it the way you're doing it now. You really need to have at least a sketch track plan on paper and know the exact dimensions of what you have to work with. It also looks like the entire layout surface isn't level and you're trying to use foam to level things up. That's not going to work in the long run. Having one solid level surface for your track will do more to help your trains run well than anything else.

The grade to the bridge using the plastic piers is fine for a toy train set pulling three or four cars but it's going to be murder on an engine pulling properly weighted cars. You'll need to either run short trains or have a couple of engines on the head end to move more than a handful of cars up that grade.

It looks like you've got at least one reverse loop at the crossover on the far side and several nasty "S" curves, especially the one where the third track comes off the switch in the last picture. You cars will derail with great regularity on those type of curves. It looks like you should be able to eliminate that curve by just using a 1/3 section of track from that switch and running the third track parallel to the other two.

I hate to seem like I'm picking on you but it's obvious you've spent a fair bit of money and time on your layout already and I'd also hate to see you get it done and then lose interest in a month because of electrical problems and trains constantly derailing. It happens all the time in this hobby.

Well thanks for the input guys

Nothing is set in stone.
The whole track from the end of the bridge to where it begins at from the turnoff is more then likely being deleted.

I dont like how it is right now, i dont like the bridge, there isnt a track under it anymore.
i changed things up a bit.

Here are some pictures i took just a few minutes ago.

Im not good with these railroad words so far, so if you guys could kindly throw my pictures in paint and circle the problem areas, i could understand things a bit better.
Picture021.png

Picture022.png

Picture023.png

Picture024.png

Picture025.png

I would like to put in a train yard in the middle, up to about 4 tracks wide.
im just not sure where to start or how to connect it all to the main tracks.

As far as layout and money goes.
Money is not an issue, and im not doing this to compete with someone else to see who has the best choo choo set up.
This is all fun for me. I use to play with these trains when i was much younger then i am now. Random came across the box of track and cars and away i went.

The trains run pretty smoothly
Ive had a en engine pulling 12 cars make it around the outside portion
of the track 6 times, not a single problem.
Stopped because i called it a night and went upstairs.

And im not using any type of foam. my layout isnt completely even, no.
Im not too worried about it.
Like i said, im not trying to put on a show or anything or impress anyone.
im just having fun.
The white stuff you are seeing that your calling foam, is dry wall.
Im using what we have here at home.
Underneath that plywood is another piece of drywall.
both pieces were warped badly.
Ive got everything mostly straight and ive got the drywall supported where needed.

Layout was origionally just on the plywood area, it then grew larger when i pulled the drywall and plywood out off of the bench a bit more, supported it more, and layed down that other piece of drywall you see laying flat on the work bench.

Well if you're happy with it that's all that matters. You build the way you want, that's what it is all about. I have suggestions and tips as will many but remember you can take it or leave it.

I thought i asked for help on where the problem areas are..

but go ahead and ignore that if you please.

What did I say. I was stating that it as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. I think it looks good to me. Not much needs to be changed unless you are unhappy with it.
Suggestions would be try to get the tracks as level as possible to get the best result out of your train. What's the plan for scenery? Do you plan on buildings and such? As for the stagging area you already have some turnouts, which are the straight pieces that also curve off to make a Y so you would use those to create your four tracks for stagging. Looks like you got plenty of room for that in the middle. I really didn't mean to sound like I didn't like your layout.

Circled in red is what is referred to as an S curve, try to avoid them, when you run a curve in one direction the rapidly switch direction longer equipment will often derail. Where i placed the blue mark is where you want a straight section.

In the first picture, you have another "S" curve curve circled in red. The area circled in yellow is where the tracks not only have no support but change elevation since the layout top is not level. The two tracks circled in blue don't seem to be needed and just add more track to an already cluttered layout.

In the second picture, the red circle is a double "S" curve. The area marked with the yellow circle is the drastic change in elevation that takes place at several points in the layout.

You can say that it all being level doesn't matter because it's not for show but it will matter. Your trains will not run reliably and you will spend a lot of time fixing derailments. It's up to you if you want to take any of our advice but we've all been down your road and we've regretted it. You can learn either by using our experience or letting hard and costly experience be your teacher.

The guys are right on getting a level set up before you really get into it. If money is not a problem go get some foam for the base. This will give a perfect base.
Add a corner to where your track over hangs the L center.
Add a run around before your yard.
And I corrected the area I was talking about by your switch. I painted over your track and sprayed what I feel is a better set up and adds one drop off factory or the start of your yard. All it will take is one right hand switch and a few straights. Never put 2 curves together back to back (that forms an "S") without a straight in between thats as long as the longest car you plan to pull.
You spent some good money on a couple of x-overs and switches. The guys only want to see you get the best out of your build. ANd not get bored in a couple months and see stuff piled on your layout. You might even clean that shelf off before someone needs canning jars reaching over your layout and make use of that area for supplies, displays, or even a staging or yard. ;)

I see what CG 51 is saying witht he s curve.. but just looking at his layout, i have a feeling scenery is taking place with that cruve at some point.

Ok, so probably a dumb questions.
You see the gray underlay.. is that really neseary? when i see top notch layouts, you never see that stuff under the track.. now of course it may be blended all in and its doing exactly what the it should be.. but just curious to its purpose?

The track has changed some what.

I'll post up some pictures.

got rid of all the nasty S curves. added in as much straight pieces as i could.

The newer track, it just lays so much easier then the flex track ive got.

I think you are doing just fine, and I like your attitude on the layout, do it your way as I see it you are the owner, only share holder, maintenance person, construction person, ceo and president...so do it your way... my only suggestions would be to try and keep the track level, and without too many of those wavy curve areas that I saw...you layout is very similar to mine in size and design...I like a little straighter look on the tracks and a more parallel look to the tracks, if you look a real roads will notice this to be true... but again do it your way...the fanged one

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so probably a dumb questions.
You see the gray underlay.. is that really neseary? when i see top notch layouts, you never see that stuff under the track.. now of course it may be blended all in and its doing exactly what the it should be.. but just curious to its purpose?

The track is Bachmann E-Z track. The track is embedded in a plastic section that's supposed to look like real track with a built up sub-grade and ballast. It's not bad track since it helps make the track a little more even and the electical connection between track sections is more reliable than regular rail joiners. It needs more work to look like real track and roadbed but it's better than regular track nailed down to plywood. I've used E-Z track on part of my layout and here's a picture when it's weathered and ballasted.

All good suggestions so far. Just one to add. with the track soo close to the edge at some spots, eventually you will have an engine crash to the floor. I suggest you bring it in or put up a plexi barrier or something similar.
Good Luck

Yeah, we've got a few plexi glass sheets laying around. Im going to extended the edge out a bit, just havent got around to it.

With the new E-Z track put together, i havent had a single derailment.
Trains run so much smoother.

Im very cautious though when a train is making a curve around any of the close edges or the trains are making a pass down the straights near the edges.

ive had a couple cars come crashing down.
only 1 of them made it to the concrete floor. the others i managed to catch with the top of my shoe.

Back