Picture046.png

After some tinkering..

Picture047.png

Well organized parts pile

Picture048.png

Overall shot

Picture049.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing else I can say, Mud. If you refuse to get your layout surface level before laying track, all I can say is good luck and have fun.

you guys dont understand that im not trying to make some $12,000 lay out.

i am doing this for fun.
im not competing to see who's layout is better
i am simply doing this for fun.

If the 1/8" puts that much wear and tear on my trains, so be it.
Im not pulling 58 cars around my track. Heck my dang trains dont even slow down on those gentle slopes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Mud, I used to have an L-shaped layout. They are really nice for making simple layouts that are fun to enjoy. I eventually made my L-shape into a double deck layout.

Where you have the "lower" part of your layout is where mine was double decked. Along the left side was a 4% grade, twin tracked. At the top the train made a loop through a tunnel with water fall and headed down the grade. At the bottom it went into a tunnel under the upper section. I eventually made another level under everything that I used for staging. I got really carried away with the layout, but I still would have enjoyed even what you have there. Simple and clean, and runs great. Good work.

You are off to a great start. Everyone has to start somewhere. The main thing and the most important...is to have fun. So having said that if you are having a good time building this layout and along the way learning the dos and donts great! It is all trial and error for everyone at all levels...small or big layouts. Just keepem rolling on the track!

Thanks fellas!!

I really am having a blast.
heck i bet it took me 2 hours just to lay the track in the middle of the oval.
Just could not figure out what i was going to do.

Yeah yeah, i know. Drawing up a plan would be quicker.
But thats just not me. I like going at it completely clueless to see what i can create.

My Dad and i have talked about it for several hours. and he wants ot see a multiple level layout. Eventually i'll get another piece of drywall on that far end of the track to bring the track up level with the other track. Ive got other priorities.

But yea, im having some fun doing this. Girlfriend has got this wild idea to get this blacklight paint and coat everything. I told her we could do that with the much older track and then she could call that track, Her track. LOL

I just got my old Athearn cars and locos out of storage, been in the barn for 20 years. My 3 year old nephew was so excited and unbeliveable patient when running the throttle and running the trains. I just made a simple loop on my ping pong table and ran trains. I think a lot of Model Railroaders have forgotten about the fun factor of just seeing trains run. I can still remember when my Dad setup my Tyco train set on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the garage, when I was 3 or 4. I wasn't really old enough to really appreciate it fully but it made an impression that is still there.

MudWild680, You are going to change the layout several times anyway before you are happy, so it doesn't matter. When you are ready for a permanent layout with ballast and scenery, then it's time to decide on what type you want and how much space you are willing to dedicate to your model railroad.

Rule number 1 is to have fun, if all else fails, see rule number 1.

Jerry

If your going to be rude about me not leveling out my track, just stay out of my thread please.

Jim gave you some very good advice, which I agree with wholeheartedly BTW.

Everything you said up to here was OK with me. In fact I agree with it all.

But this last comment was rude and uncalled for. I was going to give you some more advice after asking a few questions, but nevermind. I'm going to stay out of this thread as well.:mad:

Well, one thing you could do is have the entrance to your yard back on the L section on Mason Jar wall side. The track would then cross the two parallel tracks and open up into the train yard in the middle. This would let you shift the angle and fit another car or two.

Track is leveled.

Did it awhile ago.
Added in a piece of plywood back in that corner where the track dipped down a bit.
Swapped out a piece of drywall and leveled that piece of drywall with another piece of plywood. Ended up lengthening the track a few more inches when i put in the new pics of plywood back in the corner.

I'll try to get some pictures up of the layout.
couple things have changed.
Its looking pretty good.

Back