Battery Power?

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
Our recent local Garden Railway Society meeting featured a demonstration of the AirWire 900 "Large Scale Battery Powered Wireless Control System." (Their site is at http://www.cvpusa.com)

I had my little train with me, and the gentleman who provided the demo said he could set my train up for me, "no problem."

It seems I'd be looking at over $500 investment for the batteries, charger, remote unit, installation, etc. That seems like a bit of overkill for my one little train on 75 feet of track.

Track power is out of the question for me. I wanna PLAY with the thing. I'm getting too old to spend my life fussing with it.

What do you think?

Claudia, basicaly it's a DCC system with sound lights and a smoke generator. Radio controled Battry power all in all 500 doesn't seem out of line to me but what do I know :D.
Considering your track is outside in all weather, oxidization of the rails and the rain with track power doesn't sound too enticing. I'd go for it, if it was me.
Cheers Willis

claudia, how much more if you were to add an engine? $500 is not out of the question for dcc as by the time you add in all the components it gets up there really quick.

Claudia, I believe you have made a wise decision that you won't be sorry for., especially when you will be showing your RR. Now you don't have to worry about the outside wiring, dirty track and all the other little nuisances that go along with DC control.
Cheers Willis

It is probably too late for me to offer my two cents worth but...

If you have just 75 feet ot track, instead of going for an expensive R/C system why not just purchase stainless steel track?..still have to run wires for the controls and features like crossing gates but that can be minimized.

$500 doesn't sound overpriced to me. That's what I payed for the installation of my battery power in my USA GP9 (www.rcs-rc.com). I liked how the RCS system used a small controller (about the size of a cigarette pack) that can fit in you pocket :D If your going to install batteries, why not put in a sound system at the same time :eek: Sound systems run around $200 or so plus installation.

Battery power all the way.. I have not cleaned my track in 7 years, and have no proplems with RC & batteries.

Hi Tiny, nice to see you back. I imagine the snow and ice are gone from your yard :D
Cheers Willis

Back