Back EMF in Decoders

OK, insomnia has hit and I am thinking about decoders...that's the sign of an addiction, right? :)

How many of you fellas are using decoders with Back EMF? I built a bunch of the MERG dec13 decoders which have this feature, and I tell ya it is the coolest thing for older motors and layouts with grades! I have two Athearn F unit lashups (a pair with Cary FT bodies and a 4 pack of F7s) and these decoders keep the speed completely stable up and down the grades, plus keep constant speed no matter the load. And the slow speed stability is outstanding. The Athearn motors seem to really suit this decoder, plus since it is "homemade" code so to speak there is a lot of tweakability.

Is anyone using these? Are most manufacturers making them? I'm looking for a very small decoder (like NCE ZR14SR size) for a specific project and would like to impliment this feature. The dec13 units are a bit large (comparatively speaking)

Cheers!
Mark

Mark, most of the Lenz Silver or Gold, and now all newer TCS decoders have back emf built in. The only tweaking available though is on/off.

The TCS MC2 is probably the most economical option.

The Tsunami from Soundtraxx and the newer QSI's come with BEMF. For yard switching and starting up a coal drag, you can't be without it AFAIC. And how would your tiny passengers feel if you kicked the J1 Hudson or your Northern-type instantly to 4 scale mph?

I think it is quickly becoming the standard for reasons of competition, much like the requirement for dual modality (DCC and DC sensitivity).

-Crandell

The motors are running cooler (as well as the decoders themselves), plus seem to be using a bit less current. What a great way to customize each loco to its optimum.

It is good to hear the feature is getting more popular. Does anyone know if NCE makes one?

Mark

Back EMF

Hi Mark

About a year ago I started replacing all my old decoders with the back EMF type. Without Back EMF a 30 car train will push 3 powered engines down the 3% grade of my helix. With it, trains run perfectly down the slope.

George

Back