Bachmann Schnabel Car

Got my Schnabel Car today from Mark. Put it together & pulled it around on the layout & I'm going to have to do a few small removing the face of a mountain, move a large building about an inch & move some small objects about an inch from the tracks. This thing rolls super easy. Tracks beautifully.
here's 8 pictures sitting on the tracks. I'll do a video of it as soon as I get some things moved for clearances.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of the above pictures I sat 3 large engines next to it to show you the length. Here's 4 more.

Got the wheel sets rusted and re-installed tonight. Only thing to do now it install the cameras that come with it.

0012-6.jpg

32 wheel sets for those that are counting!!!!! LOL

Heh, I put mine on the layout today. It was nice! Unfortunately, it needs to run on the "clearance route" which excludes the branchline, and one of the mountain tunnels.

Got mine just last night, thanx Mark!
It'll run on the layout sans load for now untill I chisel out some rock outcroppings on the Black Bear Lake curve.
It's a thing o' beauty!

The most important question is when are they going to have it in N scale :confused:
Mike
It might not be a Schnabel but I stumbled across this bad boy while searching for ebay bargains tonight. Not that this particular auction seems like a bargain at $188, but I still want it. Maybe I should make like BlackZ28 and leave my credit card and a bottle of Gordon's on my desk then let nature take its course. :p

Hey pete, that's an awesome find!
It certainly looks like a North American style car, you can always try and sell the two wee vans to recoupe.
Mmmmm.... Gordons!

I think I know just the forum member who might be interested in such short cars, too. ;) Alas I just dropped a few hundred on some rolling stock the other day so maybe next time!

So I've been scratching my noodle trying to figure out a way to lower the load to a more prototypical hieght from the rails.
I think the answer is to not try lowering the entire car mechanism.
Since I don't plan on ever removing the two cradles that screw onto the underside of the transformer (not sure why it's not one piece anyway) I think the answer is to run styrene between the two and incorporate it into either the load or the cradle.
That would fill the gap on the underside and give it a more realistic hieght.
Any thoughts?

Otherwise no complaints, Bachmann did a fantastic job on the car, two thumbs up!

Just got this car in the mail yesterday, and it is a beaut! I had a little trouble getting one of the screws in the load, but after a little elbow greese it got in there. Now we just need to hurry up and build benchwork so we have a place to run it... lol

So as it turns out that car I posted actually IS a bargain. Apparently it was a very limited run collectors item and they're nearly double that price in the only non-ebay store I could find that has stock. Apparently a 24 axle version was also made but I can't find anything on it. :(

However! It appears that a small outfit going by the name of Elgin Locomotive Works is nearing completion of a resin-cast kit of CEBX 800 in N. :D The maker says he's aiming for $160. Sadly this doesn't include trucks. :D Still, the detail in this is very, very nice.

IMG_1520.png

Video of an earlier version without detailing applied.

[youtube]lheXgP-sLyk[/youtube]

you know that would look sweet getting pulled behind my EM-1 :D:D

Bit of a bump just incase anyone was interested in the Schnabel I mentioned a few posts up.

The Scnabels are coming, the Scnabels are coming! THIS FRIDAY! After 7 years of research and modeling and refinement.
So I have resin kits showing up and the decals are due the same day. So I guess this is the true announcement, they are available.
The kit includes resin parts (47 pcs), a wire reinforced drawbar, etched metal details (2 frets) for railings, ladders, stirrups and more, decals for 4 paint schemes, instruction sheet and paint/decal guide.
Kit does not include trucks and couplers. Proper trucks are 70 Ton ASF with 33" wheels, currently available from BLMA (catalog # 9025 I believe).
Schnabel CEBX 800 kit, $165.00 Shipping $7.00
Also available are the Scnabel Caboose Collection Decals for 5 different cabeese for $6.00 and can be shipped with the Schnabel kit for no extra shipping costs of course.
I still have to resolve getting a PayPal account. So, for now, sales will be thru the normal mail.
Send check payable to : Elgin Locomotive Works
Send to : 1000 Morton Ave, Elgin, IL 60120

How is the Bachmann HO scale unit for scale weight? I would assume it's under weight, but the generator could be bulked up if needs be.

Mine tracks fine and doesn't derail, so weight is not a problem. The weight seems to be somewhat evenly distributed throughout the trucks so it doesn't have the derailing problem like the Athearn Veranda Turbine where the weight is not spread evenly on the trucks.

Using the method on this site it would be 1 ounces + (27.5 inches * .05 ounces) = ~15 ounces. Just using simple scale maths the 360 ton car (no load) would be ~17.5 ounces.

But the loaded weight of 900 tons would be ~43.5 ounces.

Compared to a 40' box car at less than 4 ounces, that's a beast! Is the Bachmann model accurately weighted?

Back