Bachman HO Steam Locomotives

Brakeman Hal

Are the latest generation of Bachman HO steam locos now as detailed and realistic in operation as the Atlas, and MTH?
I have the 2021 Bachman catalog and there are some models that have DCC and 16-bit Sound.

Do any of you have the newer Bachman HO steamers?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

I'm not aware of any 'new' Bachmann steamers. Their Spectrum line dating to the very early 2000's, maybe a couple of years before that, were much better quality all around than what preceded them, and what is still found in some sets. I think Bachmann let the brand die on the vine, but since they had a good thing, they just subsumed the Spectrum lines into their regular offerings, and that is what they sell now, just only as Bachmann steamers. Their EM-1 "Yellowstone" is about seven years old now, a very good runner. Maybe a streamlined Pacific and a Mike are new, but my bet is that it's only the shells since the former Spectrum frames and drives were holding up well and received few complaints.

You will get good service, and available parts, if you elect to purchase current offerings. Bachmann stands behind their product, and for the most part they offer a quality product. Their sound and DCC is often stripped down if it's an econo line, but if they claim a brand like Soundtraxx or ESU LokSound is on board, you should have a good solid DCC experience.

I have a Bachmann Spectrum USRA 0-8-0 locomotive that I installed DCC/sound in the tender. A great running locomotive and lots of details.

I believe they might be offered in DCC with sound, but sound is an easy install.

Greg

I believe that the older gentleman that was the primary driving force behind Bachmann's spectrum line of steamers has died, and along with it Bachmann's interest in pursuing it further.

I have a number of their Spectrum steam engines but I have not run many of them as I have been without a layout for a long time. I hope to change that layout situation real soon...building it now.

EDIT: His name was Lee Riley,..... A distinguished member of the hobby industry for nearly 50 years

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3978247

Last edited:
Hal,...... correct me if I'm wrong but you did NOT have DCC on your previous layout?

Is there a particular reason you might be considering it now with your thoughts of a relatively small layout in an appt??

While its nice for certain reasons, it does add another complication factor into the equation. If you don't plan on running multiple trains at the same time, then perhaps re consider?

Are the latest generation of Bachman HO steam locos now as detailed and realistic in operation...

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal
I think the latest generation is not as detailed. I've been looking for a 4-6-0, and the newest ones have some parts molded onto the boilre as opposed to separate piping and parts.

I recently bought a Bachmann 2-10-0 'Russian Decapod' . It is one of those 'belt drive' locos that Bachmann pioneered. (they also introduced this feature on the 2-8-0 Consolidates0.

I had occasion to do a little test running recently , and I was VERY pleased with both its smooth running, and detailing.
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/43723?page=1#comment-490248

I did one of their Mountains here,..
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/43723?page=1#comment-490152

...and a Allegheny here
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/43723

Another corner space layout consideration. It could be simplified in its overall trackage, but the accessibility is very good even on the wide section that sticks out from the corner. The spur sections off to either side could be interesting additions in the future,..or they might even provide 'staging track(s)' for a variety of engines you might want to run.

index.php

Hal, To answer your question. I just picked up one of the Bachmann 4-6-2 with sound to repaint as FRISCO. I also picket up one of there 2-8-2 DDC ready model about 2 years ago. Did not get to run it until a week ago because we where in the process off moving. there are both from what is now there standard line (non Spectrum). Both are smooth running. I have several Bachmann steamers most are from the Spectrum line. So far the different I have notice between the two lines (this from the locomotives I own). Is some fine detail parts and the belt drive. Now I do not have one of the newer Spectrum locomotives. The 4-8-2 Heavy was the last Spectrum line I purchased.

Last edited:

Back