attempted a quick weathering

NYSW F45

On saturday I spent the last of my gift cards and had picked up the MR how to paint and weather book. I had read up on the weathering part where you used chalks. So on monday I went to pearl paints and picked up the exact same kits they had in the book. Found what I thought were the same brushes. Today I went to town on an old lifelike coal hopper. Its painted silver with red "southern" written on it. All from the factory. Paint isn't glossy really, has a rough texture to it. I started with black and followed the isntructions to a "T". But the dirtying was not coming out anywhere like the pictures from the MR book. It did however give it a "used" look and didn't have that new car look. But I want a lil more in terms of weathering.

So now my question. Is it the paint on the car that didn't let the chalk stick to it? Should I pick up some oil pastel chalks and see how those work?

And lastly, would i be able to pick up some paints at Pearl Paints to use for rusting/dirtying/weathering? if so what brand/colors?

Using Chalk to weather usually involves many layers, because when you seal the chalks with dullcoat, most of the chalk disappears. Use several layers of chalk to build up to the desired effect.

Having said that, I would not recommend using chalks. Look for weathering powders with some adhesive properties like AIM weathering powders or Doc O'Briens weathering powders. These don't disappear after dullcoating as much.

As for paint colours, try burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt umber, raw umber, dark grey, black, white and a sand colour.

If you are really interested in how to weather better, check out www.modeltrainsweathered.com

i registered on that site and then they had those trolls get in and screw things up. So they created that secure log in but my username doesn't work when I try to log in. I've emailed the guy but never got a response back.

try using the user MTW and pass ENTER. then after that when you try to post, it should ask you again for your user and pass, then enter the ones U registered with. Try this way, I had a hard time registering and entering too.

try using the user MTW and pass ENTER. then after that when you try to post, it should ask you again for your user and pass, then enter the ones U registered with. Try this way, I had a hard time registering and entering too.

Doesn't work Maxi. I even tried my username when I signed up (NYSW 3636)

Since you managed to get in here, have U got anything weahtered that you can show us ;) I'm a beginner too and I like to observe everyone's work and different ideas :)

I hope U get the login problem on the other forum solved soon

maxi i sent an email to the owner.

As for the weathering no nothing done by myself. If you consider letting a PRR crane sit out in the open in my basement weathered then yes I have something to show :p The gondola i did didn't really change much to show. I dont think you'de even notice a difference.

Hey Conductor-If Rich doesn't answer your emails just keep trying. He is pretty busy taking care of kids as well as running a pretty busy website. I also always have to log in two or three times before it actually logs into the site, but if you want to learn how to weather I don't know of a better site.

ok i got the S/N to work. Took a while to figure things out, but i ended up using my old password. I was just getting the s/n wrong.

anyway im going over to michaels to see what kind of acryllic paints there are for some attempted rusting and other weathering techniques. They do carry a good selection im just curious if all acryllics will stick to the plastics?

Back