Atlas bought by Bachmann??

CbarM

HO all the way!
The owner of the local hobby shop told me today that part of the reason the #6 turnouts in code 83 from Atlas arnt available is because they were bought out by Bachmann a couple months ago. Doesnt make sense to me at all, but did this really happen? He said Bachmann is trying to compete with Atlas on quality, so it was cheaper to buy them out then redesign all new tooling... I kinda think he aint got a f#$kin clue what hes talkin about...

I haven't heard that and after seeing the poor quality of parts from Bachmann over the summer, I certainly hope it's not true.

According to some people working in hobby shops, over the last few months Bachmann has bought Atlas, Walthers, Athearn and almost any other importer you can name.
I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish, other than possibly creating a demand for the stuff they have sitting on their shelves.

Haha....thats what came to mind also, and for me it worked... He had 2 RH #6 Code 83 supertrack switched in there so I grabbed em before they are completely gone...

The company that owns Bachmann is one of the last injection molding companies left, and I believe as a result, a lot of the other manufacturers are forced to use them for their products as well. Obviously they (Bachmann stuff) get preferential treatment and the other companies get what's left over (in terms of manufacturing time), so in effect, Bachmann COULD be causing delays in the other manufacturers products, but I haven't heard anything about a buy out.

Some folks need to pay better attention. Part of the shake up for Atlas and other manufacturers is that Kader (Bachmann's parent company) stopped doing work for other model railroad suppliers a couple of years ago, creating the scramble to find new suppliers, which they are doing..

Uh oh....slo maybe this stuff aint gonna be available for quite a while. I thought I read somewhere that Atlas had announced it was gonna have turnouts available again in March....

Some folks need to pay better attention. Part of the shake up for Atlas and other manufacturers is that Kader (Bachmann's parent company) stopped doing work for other model railroad suppliers a couple of years ago, creating the scramble to find new suppliers, which they are doing..

Apparently, Atlas was impacted more than Athearn, and others that used the same manufacturing facility. You may note, that Kadar, based in Hong Kong, targeted the other company for a buyout, then closed the other company's facilities down, then stopped manufacturing for others........Sound Familiar?

Seems kind of funny that soon after all this happened, Kadar - Bachmann introduced DCC equipped locos that closely "resembled" Atlas product line.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but Atlas, Athearn (RTR), and others suddenly had no product to sell, and no place to manufacture product. I imagine, this required Atlas to virtually re-start from scratch.

Joe

I have talked to several Atlas dealers and they are recieving product. They have been allocted.However those allocations are based on previous business levels. I believe some Atlas dealers are now selling on line to keep there allocations high. I suggest if you need Atlas products you look at E-Bay etc and pick your spots. As for turnouts there are a number of people building nice code 83 and 100 turnouts with Fast Tracks jigs or other tools. There are some very creative alternatives out there. Thats what I have done.
Thanks
Wayne

Atlas has a new manufacturer for track, and is getting regular shipments........the problem is they are so far behind that the new stuff comes in one door at the warehouse and goes right out another. They are so far behind in filling orders that it may take quite a while before we see stuff sitting on the shelves again.

Atlas has a new manufacturer for track, and is getting regular shipments........the problem is they are so far behind that the new stuff comes in one door at the warehouse and goes right out another. They are so far behind in filling orders that it may take quite a while before we see stuff sitting on the shelves again.

All three hobby shops I frequent have track in stock both Code 83 and Code 100. I bought a 1/4 case (25 pieces) from them (Caboose Hobbies) on Black Friday. Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Discount Trains in Dallas, and Papa Bens in Houston seem to have a regular supply of track. This is just sitting on the shelf.

The Bureau of Efficient Use of Time has determined that too many people are spending too much time on their model railroads. Therefore, the gubmint has seen to it that model railroading supplies are being reduced. :rolleyes:

All three hobby shops I frequent have track in stock both Code 83 and Code 100. I bought a 1/4 case (25 pieces) from them (Caboose Hobbies) on Black Friday. Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Discount Trains in Dallas, and Papa Bens in Houston seem to have a regular supply of track. This is just sitting on the shelf.

Last I looked neither Kleins or Trainworld had anything Code 83 in stock, although I was able to buy some C-83 "Super Flex" last Spring. More recently, I was only able to pick up some Micro Engineering flex and a few PECO switches. It will take Atlas some time to rebuild their product stream, and that is unfortunate as you can't sell what you don't have.

Joe

Just to clear a few things up...

Kader owns Bachmann. Kader does not own Atlas. Atlas is still getting some of their stuff made at Kader's factories, hence the delays. Athearn never has and never will use Kader as a contract factory. Athearn did change contract factories around the same time that Atlas started having problems with Kader, but they are unrelated. Athearn is pumping out new products every other month because of their new factory. Kader is NOT the only injection molding company in China.

I called atlas and they said that due to last years problems with the weather that they are shipping now. I also called a local hobby shop that carries there line and still no arrival of 205 or 215 selectors. 6 of one half dozen of the other it makes no sense what is holding things up only they know. I only wish that I had picked up those selectors earlier, I have 2 gift certificates from that hobby store and no other use for them but these selectors and a major master control board finalization.

The owner of the local hobby shop told me today that part of the reason the #6 turnouts in code 83 from Atlas arnt available is because they were bought out by Bachmann a couple months ago. Doesnt make sense to me at all, but did this really happen? He said Bachmann is trying to compete with Atlas on quality, so it was cheaper to buy them out then redesign all new tooling... I kinda think he aint got a f#$kin clue what hes talkin about...

I think this is extreemly unlikely - in view of this issued in the last few days

Hillside, NJ, December 17, 2013

Atlas Personnel Changes Announced

Atlas Model Railroad Company Chief Executive Officer Tom Haedrich, announced the following executive personnel changes.

Mr. Haedrich will step down from the CEO position after 30 years with Atlas, and become the Executive Chairman of the Atlas Board of Directors. Paul Graf, currently Chief Operating Officer will become the new Atlas CEO. Mr. Graf has been with Atlas for the past 25 years.

Jarrett Schaffan Haedrich, currently VP Marketing and the great-grandson of Atlas founder Stephan J. Schaffan Sr. will become the new COO. Jarrett has been employed with Atlas for the past ten years.

Eric Mosher, currently marketing coordinator will be promoted to the position of VP Marketing. Eric has worked with Atlas for the past ten years. All personnel changes are effective January 1st, 2014.

In making the announcements Mr. Haedrich said, "We are very fortunate to have such qualified in-house personnel to promote to these important executive positions. Atlas, and the model railroad industry will be well served by these changes."

Atlas celebrates its 90th year in 2014 as a family owned business. Atlas Model Railroad Co. Inc., and Atlas O, produce prototypical based model railroad rolling stock, locomotives, track and accessories in N, HO and O scale and distributes its products worldwide.

http://www.atlasrr.com/news/personnel-1213.htm

Back