Athearn genesis automax, no wheels or trucks

NYSW F45

I bought a case of 6 undecorated athearn genesis automax on ebay. I somehow never saw the typing that they were all without trucks/wheels. So now I have to go and find 18 trucks 36 wheels :mad:

My question is, what size truck & wheels do i get? 70 or 100 ton trucks? 33 or 36" wheels or do I also need 28"'s for the articulated area? Im so aggrevated by this but you live and you learn.

I bought a case of 6 undecorated athearn genesis automax on ebay. I somehow never saw the typing that they were all without trucks/wheels. So now I have to go and find 18 trucks 36 wheels :mad:

My question is, what size truck & wheels do i get? 70 or 100 ton trucks? 33 or 36" wheels or do I also need 28"'s for the articulated area? Im so aggrevated by this but you live and you learn.

I believe that they use 33" on the ends and in the middle. look for Athearn genesis trucks as they will work with them.

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/AutoMax-Specs.pdf

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/.sc/m... Roller Bearing Trucks 2Pr, LIST PRICE $14.98

Mark, do i need to run the genesis trucks? I have a bunch of tropicana reefers that i can take the trucks from. I still need wheels but will probably order a case of intermountain wheels to save money as i can't keep buying the small packs all the time. Or does anyone know where I can get the plastic trucks cheap?

You can try any trucks you want but you can also buy Accurail trucks cheap and they should work. Just make sure the coupler height is close.

Mark, how much are Accurail trucks? I'm running low. I thought about buying Proto 2000 trucks, but if Accurail trucks are cheaper, I'll go with them (they also fit the Intermountain wheels better)

1 Set of Trucks and metal Wheels Accurail #202 $3.70
12 Pairs of Roller Bearing Trucks no Wheels #165 $8.99
50 Pairs of Roller Bearing Trucks no Wheels #155 $32.99
100 Pairs of Roller Bearing Trucks no Wheels #152 $59.99

And do I order those from you?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what kind of screws would I need for Intermountain cars? I bought some without trucks or screws and I had a hard time finding a screw that would fit. (preferably something self-tapping to ream out the hole)

Also, where would I be able to find short self-tapping 2-56 screws? (like the ones that came with the MDC/Roundhouse kits) None of the LHS's carry them. AFAIK Kadee doesn't make them.

Last edited by a moderator:
no hijacking!!

j/k

I might actually buy a bunch of trucks at those prices and yea where do I order them from? Then i'll just order a box of wheels too and then the decals from oddballs or whever the hell has them in stock.

For truck mounting I use various lengths of 2-56 screws that I bought on ebay. I also bought a Kadee tap and drill bit set for 2-56 at my LHS and tap the holes with that tap.

I ordered some Accurail trucks, screws, and intermountian wheels from my distributors and I will have 100 pairs for sale with either 33" or 36" wheels. If anyone is interested let me know. I will post prices as soon as I calculate the final cost per truck pair.

I had 3 sets that I bought off of EBay & they all had the wrong trucks:confused:. I bought a set of trucks from a friend to try them out on my layout & they always derailed because the curves were to short. Nothing else derailed, just those. I have 86ft flats & boxcars & they don't derail. The Articulated autoracks won't do on my layout. Have you tried them on your layout yet to see if they will stay on the rails before you go to all of the trouble to get trucks?

I ordered some Accurail trucks, screws, and intermountian wheels from my distributors and I will have 100 pairs for sale with either 33" or 36" wheels. If anyone is interested let me know. I will post prices as soon as I calculate the final cost per truck pair.

I'm interested, but I will need to sort through my projects, as well as my friend's to see how many I will need.

i can't use mine, none of the 6 sets came with trucks or wheels. Plus no layout, just club i try to get too when im free.

I have trucks available now. They are Accurail roller bearing trucks with intermountain semi scale wheels in either 36", 33", or 28". trucks come with screws too. Price is $4 a pair. Discount on multiple sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back