Athearn Alert

I'm disappointed about the longer wait, but am glad actually since I'm tapped out right now.

The revised locomotives will ship in approximately 4 months.
I was wondering, how long does it take to built,and paint a real locomotive ???.
Ron

i heard they used the wrong logo on the trains

horse.png
imagesns.png

Probably a nickle more than you paid for them.....I bought four. Unfortunately they are 400 miles away from me at the moment.

Bob

The revised locomotives will ship in approximately 4 months.
I was wondering, how long does it take to built,and paint a real locomotive ???.
Ron
According to a recent article in trains, it takes GE 7-10 days, to build and paint, depending on paint scheme. EMD is probably about the same.
The KCS units take the longest in "southern Belle" paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, but GE and EMD don't have to ship their engines to China to be painted and get them back here. My understanding is that some of the striping is wrong but I'm not a big enough NS fan have even noticed. I suspect this means a complete redesign of the paint job, manufacturing and painting new shells in China, slapping them on the returned frames, and getting them back here. I imagine they will just bin the incorrectly painted shells rather than stripping and repainting them. All this has to be worked into slack periods of their regular production schedule. If I had to bet, I'd bet that four months is optimistic.

Following is a copy of an e-mail sent to me from Athearn.

Bob,

The striping on the engineer's side of the nose is inverted and the
striping on the rear of the locomotive does not extend around the
corners onto the side of the locomotive.

Sincerely,

Athearn Trains

Back