Asking for a favor.

I'm looking for mining photos for ideas to scratch build a small mining operation. I'm building a little table top N scale oval with my son (who's almost 8). It's 20"x34" and only has room for one business on it's one spur.(Very basic) It's also his first training layout, as he's getting to get to do more of the construction than he has before on our (under construction) HO layout. He's pretty proud to be helping with it and knows this is practice for when he gets to work on the bigger layout.:)
Coal mine, gravel pit, etc, whatever you have, we'd love to see it. We continue to search through the forum and on-line, but if you have anything you would share that would be great. Model or prototype.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Perfect! Two great links to stuff I hadn't ever seen yet! Such a great resource.
Love O'Brien Quarry! Lime is another alternative I hadn't thought of yet. Thanks again, hamltnblue!

Yes, been studying the gravel pit in MR. The hardest part of this project is going to be deciding what kind of mining we'll be doing.

Ditto on checking out the march MR mag.. it shows rail service in a gravel pit. a simple operation would be to pick up the gravel at a pit and bring it to a cement plant. it can be a small town plant and pit that only takes a few cars in and out each week. coal mines and iron ore mines can be simple as well. not every company needs 100 car coal trains..

on my home layout I have a coal mine that holds about 10 cars. I dont have a place to bring the coal but I move the emptys to the mine and loaded cars to the yard.

Back